Service plan £6 / month

Just taken out a 4 year low mileage (under 10,000 pa) service plan with MG East London.

1st Service was free after my recent BMS update (normally £27)
2nd service £98.18
3rd service £98.18
4th service £63

1 x £7.12
44 × £6.96

Total 4 year plan £313.36
That’s some deal, I can’t get anywhere near that or those individual service prices. I’ve even been on the MG site and done a service plan quote (I presume it’s Glyn Hopkins east London) and it’s almost double yours. So I have to ask

Did you take this out direct with the dealer or using MG online service plan (https://mg.co.uk/owners/serviceplans/)?

Does it include the admin charge of £1.20 per month (this is included on any MG service plan)

What negotiation techniques did you use to get this price as it’s excellent value especially when you look at your individual service prices compared to those for MG direct service plans (year 2 and year 4 services are double/quadruple yours)

79C7F3D3-9CDB-47C6-B736-DA270EF9BBF3.jpeg

Wow, this is what I was quoted, and believed it was universal....

1 year / 15,000 miles - £119.99

2 year / 30,000 - £221.17

3 year / 45,000 - £119.99

4 year / 60,000 - £394.93

When questioned, was told:

"Yes its just labour for the 1st and 3rd service but no oil or oil filter.

The 4th service is a bigger service due to the transmission fluid and the vehicle coolant being replaced."
Looks like your quote is for standard miles (15k p.a.) where as these lower quotes are for low mileage service plan (10k mile p.a.)

That’s some deal, I can’t get anywhere near that or those individual service prices. I’ve even been on the MG site and done a service plan quote (I presume it’s Glyn Hopkins east London) and it’s almost double yours. So I have to ask

Did you take this out direct with the dealer or using MG online service plan (https://mg.co.uk/owners/serviceplans/)?

Does it include the admin charge of £1.20 per month (this is included on any MG service plan)

What negotiation techniques did you use to get this price as it’s excellent value especially when you look at your individual service prices compared to those for MG direct service plans (year 2 and year 4 services are double/quadruple yours)

View attachment 1647
Give company that are admin a call on 0845 413 5360. I phoned as online quote for low mileage was not showing. Tell them which dealers you want quotes on and they will run them and email direct to you.

Give company that are admin a call on 0845 413 5360. I phoned as online quote for low mileage was not showing. Tell them which dealers you want quotes on and they will run them and email direct to you.
If you wanted to save the monthly mgmt fee 45x£1.20 =£54 and pay for total service plan in lump sum they will waive the £54 but you still have to cough up £12 plus vat as a one off admin fee.

Just did that - what a difference. First one is what I did on their website which totals £791 including management fee (which you'll see is 10k miles p.a.), second one is the one they've done £568 including management fee!!

£220 saving and I've now asked them about paying the whole lot upfront and they waive the management fee dropping the total to £514 - that's 30% less than the full service price!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210222-152353.png
    Screenshot_20210222-152353.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20210222-152353.png
    Screenshot_20210222-152353.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
If you wanted to save the monthly mgmt fee 45x£1.20 =£54 and pay for total service plan in lump sum they will waive the £54 but you still have to cough up £12 plus vat as a one off admin fee.
I've was wondering how to avoid the admin fee which in a 5 year service plan is £65

I've also had a letter for a free 2nd year service as "compensation for the inconvenience caused by the software updates".
Did you put in a complaint/request for compensation? Was the letter from your dealer, or head office?

I've always understood brake fluid change is time related not mileage dependant and should be done every 2 years because of moisture absorption.
The usual criteria for brake fluid change on VAG group car's are as follows :-
First brake fluid replacement when the car is three years old, then every two years after that.
They do this to stagger them between with the A/C service intervals.
Either way, you are going to get shafted for one or the other each time you submit the car for its annual service.
Oh ......... If you have a service plan, this is NOT covered under a service plan and is therefore chargeable to the customer !.

I've always understood brake fluid change is time related not mileage dependant and should be done every 2 years because of moisture absorption.
The fluid should be tested every two years, it usually needs changing far less frequently, in a properly functioning system there will be no moisture absorption! Dealers just like changing it as its money for old rope...

I think the bottom line is - MG (and other dealerships) are desperately trying to justify after sales charges and servicing on EV’s that really need very little doing to them. Adding marketing items like teddy bears and add-ons like AA cover (that by the way should be standard for the life of the warranty anyway) to try to justify charges. Again Tesla I’m afraid have shown the way - no compulsary servicing on their cars with only recommended maintenance items - coolant good for the life of the car. All EV’s are perfectly capable of this too - MG included. Brake fluid can also be tested before needing to be changed. Locking in servicing with warranty is just a way of trying to maintain servicing income.

I think the bottom line is - MG (and other dealerships) are desperately trying to justify after sales charges and servicing on EV’s that really need very little doing to them. Adding marketing items like teddy bears and add-ons like AA cover (that by the way should be standard for the life of the warranty anyway) to try to justify charges. Again Tesla I’m afraid have shown the way - no compulsary servicing on their cars with only recommended maintenance items - coolant good for the life of the car. All EV’s are perfectly capable of this too - MG included. Brake fluid can also be tested before needing to be changed. Locking in servicing with warranty is just a way of trying to maintain servicing income.
I bet I don’t get a teddy bear.....from today’s service..

MG tell me corrosion warranty check is not included on a low mileage service plan and incurs an extra charge.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom