Setting target battery level issue

Mihir

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Whenever I try to set the target battery level both in the car's infotainment screen or on the iSmart app, it seems to be jump back to 100% and due to this I am never able to charge upto only say 80%. I have to either use Ohme's charging app to limit my charging(They do not have integration with MG ZS EV charging yet. So its again manually done in a complicated way!) or have to manually hit finish charging when the level hits 80% on the iSmart app/car infotainment screen. If I set to charge at night, this means I need to stay awake till it gets to 80% to manually stop it!

Also when I try to set to a different level, the estimated range number never changes. Here is a video on the issue. The same thing happens on the iSmart app too :

Anyone having such issues?Or managed to resolve it?
@navneeth1986 ? I vaguely remember you having mentioned this at some point. Did you manage to resolve it?

Working fine on mine, I wouldn't have thought there'd be a difference between the LR and SR.

Is yours a SE, Trophy or a Connect?

Same trim as mine then, what exactly is it doing? Mine you just press the battery level block corresponding to the level and that's it.

Do you just press it and it returns to 100% or does it look like it does it then charges to 100% anyway?

Same trim as mine then, what exactly is it doing? Mine you just press the battery level block corresponding to the level and that's it.

Do you just press it and it returns to 100% or does it look like it does it then charges to 100% anyway?
I press it and it returns to 100% and then charges to 100% too. Does not stop at 80%. This is happening on the iSmart App too. Here is the video of that:

After a few seconds, you can notice right below Scheduled Charging, 'Failed' appears.

I press it and it returns to 100% and then charges to 100% too. Does not stop at 80%. This is happening on the iSmart App too. Here is the video of that:

After a few seconds, you can notice right below Scheduled Charging, 'Failed' appears.

Sorry @Mihir but I am unable to get the video to play on my IPhone 12 ??????.

What does it look like from the car's screen? I'd kind of expect that sort of flakiness from the app to be honest. It's not the best

I believe the SR will always charge to 100%. The BMS for the larger battery size offers more “features”.

MG differentiate between the two battery sizes in the manual. Type 1 is the LR battery, with Type 2 being the SR battery.

As an example, the SR battery will charge to 100% SOC on a Rapid Charger, the LR battery is limited to 95% SOC on a Rapid Charger.

I believe the SR will always charge to 100%. The BMS for the larger battery size offers more “features”.

MG differentiate between the two battery sizes in the manual. Type 1 is the LR battery, with Type 2 being the SR battery.

As an example, the SR battery will charge to 100% SOC on a Rapid Charger, the LR battery is limited to 95% SOC on a Rapid Charger.
Is this documented anywhere in the manual or something? I can relate to what you say here. When I charged my car over the weekend using a rapid charger, it did charge to 100%.

This is what the manual on the app shows about charging from the car and the app. Not very conclusive:

Screenshot_20220225-132647_MG iSMART.jpg

Screenshot_20220225-132609_MG iSMART.jpg

@Merry has the same car as me and it works fine. So not sure if the SR LR differentiation is the real reason? May be its just my car?

If this what they intended, charging to 100 % for the SR versions only, then that is not acceptable to me ?.
You need to be on control of what SOC you need to match your user profile.
Strange that we are seeing two different cars with different owners, behaving differently with regards to their charging percentage somehow ?.

Because the SR has an LFP battery, you can’t set a charge limit like the LR version, because LFP doesn’t degrade from frequent 100% charge
That’s what I’ve been explained

It annoys me because I don’t have regen until the battery reaches around 97%

Because the SR has an LFP battery, you can’t set a charge limit like the LR version, because LFP doesn’t degrade from frequent 100% charge
That’s what I’ve been explained

It annoys me because I don’t have regen until the battery reaches around 97%
Does it mean we are safe to charge it to 100% every time? This is something really new that I've known. Wonder why they don't make other MG cars run on LFP too then? A quick read on google/wikipedia suggests they have longer life than the normal Lithium Ions. Certain Tesla's run on LFPs. Wow! This is interesting. However I still agree with @Lovemyev, I should be allowed to control my charge %. Is it possible that certain SR cars have LFP and certain dont? What puzzles me is @Merry is able to change the target battery % despite being on SR and I cannot!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom