Settings and defaults - one pedal driving

I had a Peugeot e208 as a courtesy car. When I got in I saw a single button with the LKA symbol on it. There was an orange light on the button, which I assumed meant it was active. So I pressed the button and the light went out. Off I drove, fondly imagining LKA was off.

Boy was I wrong. One thing I do not require of a car of mine is that it takes control of the steering wheel. I checked that button, the light was still off. What the hell? I pressed the button again, the light came back on, and LKA went away.

So, interesting. The Peugeot has a single on/off button for LKA. Nice. For some reason the button is lit up when it's in the off position. And it retains its setting. I didn't have to switch it off again.

And I hate the Peugeot's LKA just as much as I hate the MG4's. Absolute spawn of satan.

Some people like it,others don't no matter what car it's in

I had a Peugeot e208 as a courtesy car. When I got in I saw a single button with the LKA symbol on it. There was an orange light on the button, which I assumed meant it was active. So I pressed the button and the light went out. Off I drove, fondly imagining LKA was off.

Boy was I wrong. One thing I do not require of a car of mine is that it takes control of the steering wheel. I checked that button, the light was still off. What the hell? I pressed the button again, the light came back on, and LKA went away.

So, interesting. The Peugeot has a single on/off button for LKA. Nice. For some reason the button is lit up when it's in the off position. And it retains its setting. I didn't have to switch it off again.

And I hate the Peugeot's LKA just as much as I hate the MG4's. Absolute spawn of satan.
Or it bothers some but not others

Just enjoy the 🚗

As you do Rolfe

The button lights up when it's off as you say, as lka is ncap related the light is a reminder it's off.

A physical button should be in every car with lka

A physical button should be in every car with lka

Don't know about the MG4 but the pre-facelift MG5 has exactly this. It's on the end of the indicator stalk. One of my first actions once the car has fully booted up is to check whether the icon for LKA is illuminated on the speedo/GOM screen . If it is (and it isn't always) a quick tap or double-tap on that button turns it off.

Euro NCAP rules dictate that a car without profiles must default to LKA On (as well as other "safety" features) in order to achieve a 5-star rating. MG have no say in the matter (other than introducing profiles).

OPD doesn't fall into the "safety" category (AFAIK) but MG have obviously adopted the same approach.
Euro NCAP rules !!?? Thought we'd left the EU and would abandon EU regulations! Just another Brexit lie then. BTW my 2021 ZS EV doesnt default to LKA etc on thank goodness! Just one of the (many) reasons along with horrible cheap interior why I wouldn't have an MG4.

But your 2021 ZS EV was NCAP-rated before the new requirements came into force. The MG4 was rated after. ;)

Its my understanding that Euro NCAP features cannot be advertised by the makers as " safety devices" but only as driver aids. Would any manufacturer be brave enough to say " no we do not like LKA so just the 4 stars for us , thank you," and would we as customers be brave /astute enough to buy that vehicle? It seems we are all stuck between a rock and a hard place. Which of course could happen in both instances , non-working or working badly!
Euro NCAP scores are a total irrelevance and play no part whatsoever in my choice of vehicle. How comfy the seats are and how easy to use the controls are far more important.

But your 2021 ZS EV was NCAP-rated before the new requirements came into force. The MG4 was rated after. ;)
Totally irrelevant! Dont care what the NCAP rating is, in fact making these things harder to adjust is far more distracting and dangerous.

I don't disagree - I'm merely making a statement of fact. If the model is tested post-April (?) 2022 then it needs these "safety features" and they must default to On in order to get a 5-star rating. :)

And the majority of buyers will be swayed by the NCAP star rating.

I don't disagree - I'm merely making a statement of fact. If the model is tested post-April (?) 2022 then it needs these "safety features" and they must default to On in order to get a 5-star rating. :)

And the majority of buyers will be swayed by the NCAP star rating.
So who cares whether it is NCAP 5 or 4 or 3, certainly not me.

So who cares whether it is NCAP 5 or 4 or 3, certainly not me.
@siteguru is simply explaining why these things have changed on the MG4 (and all cars, including future MG ZS - it is not specific to the 4). An easier way to turn these things off is the best we can hope for.

Yes, you don't like it, nor do I, but there are reasons why whether we like it or not.

On interior design, we have been over this before, the MG4 represents the modern trend which I know you really dislike, but it is the fashion these days. Many people do like it, myself included.

I like it. I didn't have a negative reaction when I got into it for my test drive, and I still like it. However, when I got into the Peugeot e208 they gave me as a courtesy car, my first reaction was, this is really cluttered, cramped and fussy. Chatting with the salesman who sold me my car, when I picked it up the next day, he said that he'd come across a lot of people who like the minimalist, spartan interior.

@siteguru is simply explaining why these things have changed on the MG4 (and all cars, including future MG ZS - it is not specific to the 4). An easier way to turn these things off is the best we can hope for.

Yes, you don't like it, nor do I, but there are reasons why whether we like it or not.

On interior design, we have been over this before, the MG4 represents the modern trend which I know you really dislike, but it is the fashion these days. Many people do like it, myself included.
Compare it with the new Kia Niro and the Hyundai Sportage/Kona. Thats the way to incorporate modern.

If you don't like the design or the way the MG4 does things then don't buy one. It's a free country and we are allowed to disagree but it doesn't mean you are right.
Neither does it mean you are. As i said a large part of my objection is that having to operate a touch screen when driving with your left hand (most people are right handed! ) is far more distracting and dangerous, just as much as using a mobile phone.

I agree about the touch screen being on the wrong side but the radio and heating can be controlled by the steering wheel buttons, everything else should have been set up before moving off.
As for mobile phones, I don't think they should even be used hands-free.

I agree about the touch screen being on the wrong side but the radio and heating can be controlled by the steering wheel buttons, everything else should have been set up before moving off.
As for mobile phones, I don't think they should even be used hands-free.
What about the "driver aids"? I have them permanently switched of as they are too intrusive. Starting to drive an MG4 is like flying a jumbo jet with the setting up within menus that you have to do. I want to get in and drive, not spend time disabling things first.

What about the "driver aids"? I have them permanently switched of as they are too intrusive. Starting to drive an MG4 is like flying a jumbo jet with the setting up within menus that you have to do. I want to get in and drive, not spend time disabling things first.
To be fair that appears to be a foible of the MG4 not every modern EV is like that

I seem to be one of the lucky ones where the LKA isn't over intrusive so I just leave it on default. I'll use speed limit control and cruise control occasionally but I usually just get in and drive.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back