Settings and defaults - one pedal driving

lbdsg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hello. I realize that certain settings (LKA) get reset every time the car is used. Can anyone with one pedal driving confirm whether or not that setting gets reset every time the car is turned on? I realize you can set one of the custom buttons for it (too bad you can’t do that for LKA) but I am curious as to whether or not one pedal settings are retained based on the last drive? Thanks

My understanding is that it resets to Off every time (like LKA resets to On). This is on the basis that the next driver of the car may not be the same as the last one, so the car defaults to a consistent, known configuration (given that the car doesn't support Profiles).

My understanding is that it resets to Off every time (like LKA resets to On). This is on the basis that the next driver of the car may not be the same as the last one, so the car defaults to a consistent, known configuration (given that the car doesn't support Profiles).

That is most unfortunate. Profiles would be a wonderful thing but in absence of that the ability (or willingness) to retain settings would be acceptable. In its most basic form a car is about transportation. Beyond that it is a massive expression of the owner - image, what it says about you, etc. I’m not into the ego aspect of that but it does speak to it being my car and it is a reflection of me as an individual and my preferences… So don’t make me reset it every time I drive it from “stock standards” as if it wasn’t my car…

Big miss. But perhaps inline with the manufacturers culture/mindset.

Euro NCAP rules dictate that a car without profiles must default to LKA On (as well as other "safety" features) in order to achieve a 5-star rating. MG have no say in the matter (other than introducing profiles).

OPD doesn't fall into the "safety" category (AFAIK) but MG have obviously adopted the same approach.

Euro NCAP rules dictate that a car without profiles must default to LKA On (as well as other "safety" features) in order to achieve a 5-star rating. MG have no say in the matter (other than introducing profiles).

OPD doesn't fall into the "safety" category (AFAIK) but MG have obviously adopted the same approach.

I understand the NCAP rules and reluctantly accept the LKA and other safety defaults. It’s too bad MG seems to have also applied this to other non-mandated settings.

Its my understanding that Euro NCAP features cannot be advertised by the makers as " safety devices" but only as driver aids. Would any manufacturer be brave enough to say " no we do not like LKA so just the 4 stars for us , thank you," and would we as customers be brave /astute enough to buy that vehicle? It seems we are all stuck between a rock and a hard place. Which of course could happen in both instances , non-working or working badly!

Its my understanding that Euro NCAP features cannot be advertised by the makers as " safety devices" but only as driver aids. Would any manufacturer be brave enough to say " no we do not like LKA so just the 4 stars for us , thank you," and would we as customers be brave /astute enough to buy that vehicle? It seems we are all stuck between a rock and a hard place. Which of course could happen in both instances , non-working or working badly!
I would be more likely to purchase if the settings were driver adjustable and retained even if that meant 4 stars. It would admittedly negatively impact resale value but I’d be ok with that.

The weird thing is that there is a User system but it only supports 1 user. If they extended this a little so you could create multiple user profiles (no issue with only 1 iSmart app user at a time, that would be fine), then just map an existing button to cycle through the profiles and restore all their settings and - voila - biggest user annoyances solved in one simple change.

OPD should keep the settings from the last drive. I had a LEAF for 5 years and this was configurable.

I’m not sure profiles would help.
My car does profiles, but LKA defaults to ‘on’ no matter what.
Thankfully my car is supported by OBD11 and Ive been able to fix it myself.
Do you know of any other cars with profiles where on/off can be remembered per profile?
Sounds like something Tesla would do, don’t know though.

My vehicle has a 3 rating mainly because it doesn't have the so called safety features, or all 'driver aids' . This doesn't necessarily mean it's an unsafe car, merely that the system of car safety is skewed in favour of the electronics rather than the driver taking responsibility.

Hello. I realize that certain settings (LKA) get reset every time the car is used. Can anyone with one pedal driving confirm whether or not that setting gets reset every time the car is turned on? I realize you can set one of the custom buttons for it (too bad you can’t do that for LKA) but I am curious as to whether or not one pedal settings are retained based on the last drive? Thanks
Yes you have to turn it on every time you get in the car,seen a clip last night I think it was a volvo where you can turn on one pedal with Google assist

Yes you have to turn it on every time you get in the car,seen a clip last night I think it was a volvo where you can turn on one pedal with Google assist
It only takes two presses of the info screen, so not too bad

In my experience one pedal drive also is deactivated every time you change regen settings. it may also deactivate while switching modes if said modes change regen settings.

I have a different experience in my mg4, once you activate one pedal drive you can't do anything with the different regens until you deactivate one pedal drive

It only takes two presses of the info screen, so not too bad

Respectfully, I completely disagree. It is too bad. Two presses to turn on OPD. Three presses to disable LKA. Etc. If I wanted a pre flight checklist I’d buy an airplane. Every…every other electronic device I own is customizable and keeps its configuration. Does not make sense that the most expensive electronic device I own does not.

First world problem - yes, absolutely. Reasonable gripe for the $ investment - yes, absolutely.

Respectfully, I completely disagree. It is too bad. Two presses to turn on OPD. Three presses to disable LKA. Etc. If I wanted a pre flight checklist I’d buy an airplane. Every…every other electronic device I own is customizable and keeps its configuration. Does not make sense that the most expensive electronic device I own does not.

First world problem - yes, absolutely. Reasonable gripe for the $ investment - yes, absolutely.
I have no problems with LKA,slight pull if I drift onto white lines,no worse or better than the other cars I've had with LKA

My over-70 parents have just bought a used ICE Skoda Karoq, and they love its LKA. "It feels as if it's gently helping me around corners" says my mum.

Maybe MG's problem isn't so much whether it's enabled by default, but whether it's good enough.

(Although I'll repeat - it's never bothered me. My wife hates it though.)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back