Shocking (cost of electricity)

I've moved to octopus go, set my charger to only work in the cheap hours, and learned to use the timer on my washing machine and dishwasher. Compared to standard variable I'll be saving about £4 a day.

Thanks all!

I have looked at the various EV tariffs and even if I charged every night for the full off peak time (which I wouldn't need to) It still works out a lot more expensive on the EV than my normal rate of just under 35p a kWh. I could charge for 10 hours a day on my current rate and it would still be less than the Octopus rate. Virtually all the electricity that we use is used during the day
This comment made me double check all my maths, and this time rather than napkins I went fully down the rabbit hole and made a spreadsheet. I've uploaded it here

The sheet uses measured values for most appliances, but for the fridge that I didn't want to unplug it's just taken from my manufacturers' website. Similarly I've added in a fudge factor for "stuff that's just on" based on my smart meter never really going below 200w of use all day.

I don't know if I've got a particularly low electricity use, or if you've got a particularly high one, but I can't think of anything I've missed, and even if I only charge for one hour a day I'm saving £2 every day on Octopus Go vs EDF standard variable.

Rates are in pennies btw.

My ice Vitara was doing 44mpg which at £1.52 p/l = 15.5p per mile. My Soul EV does about 3.9 miles p/kWh at the moment and my 4 hour overnight tariff is 16.7 p/kW, daytime 43.4p (Octopus flexible). I usually charge overnight, so 4.3p or 11 per mile. (Petrol down south is nearer £1.60.) I think I've worked these figures out correctly.

I'm a low mileage (retired) driver using Intelligent Octopus and on my last bill the average kWh price was less than 17.5p due to using 2/3rd in the cheap period. Delayed starts and use of timeswitches and as a late owl the odd manual start have made this pretty easy to achieve. No particular effort on my part. Solar panels keep my base load during the day under control and last week over the sunny three days even managed over 13kWh into my immersion tank.

I'd certainly have a different view if I couldn't charge at home.

I have looked at the various EV tariffs and even if I charged every night for the full off peak time (which I wouldn't need to) It still works out a lot more expensive on the EV than my normal rate of just under 35p a kWh. I could charge for 10 hours a day on my current rate and it would still be less than the Octopus rate. Virtually all the electricity that we use is used during the day
If you are an Octopus customer then there is a really nifty tool I have discovered which allows you to look back at your past usage over various periods and make a comparison between them using data from your historic 30 min Smart Meter readings.

Go to Octopus Energy Comparison

For example, I compared my current Go tariff against Agil and Standard Variable (Gov Guarantee) rates. I not only charge my car, but I charge my Hot Water Storage and run both Dish Washer and Washing Machine in the 4 hour window.

A car charging day with about 20 kWh charge

1671018464204.png

1671018423275.png

And for the Whole of 2022 to date a masive saving on Octopus Go which has been 41.3% cheaper than Standard a saving worth having as have been the £50 Credit each when forum members have transfer to Octopus with my referral code, thank you.

1671018885978.png

1671018756347.png

If you are an Octopus customer then there is a really nifty tool I have discovered which allows you to look back at your past usage over various periods and make a comparison between them using data from your historic 30 min Smart Meter readings.

Go to Octopus Energy Comparison

For example, I compared my current Go tariff against Agil and Standard Variable (Gov Guarantee) rates. I not only charge my car, but I charge my Hot Water Storage and run both Dish Washer and Washing Machine in the 4 hour window.

A car charging day with about 20 kWh charge

View attachment 13664
View attachment 13663

And for the Whole of 2022 to date a masive saving on Octopus Go which has been 41.3% cheaper than Standard a saving worth having as have been the £50 Credit each when forum members have transfer to Octopus with my referral code, thank you.

View attachment 13666

View attachment 13665
This is great. I use the iOS app.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom