Should “Equalisation” be allowed to complete?

Cricketer007

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All.

I have plugged my car into a slow charge. It has reached 100% charge and voltage is showing 450.
The glow on the front MG badge is now not pulsating (solid) meaning the battery is in equalisation mode. However, this is taking a tad long (been 3 hours).

I need some advice as to whether I should allow the car to complete this process before I unplug or would it be ok to unplug mid way as I need to be away on journey soon!

I don’t know what it means to stop a equalisation process before it completes I.e bad things or not?

Thanks

Hi All.

I have plugged my car into a slow charge. It has reached 100% charge and voltage is showing 450.
The glow on the front MG badge is now not pulsating (solid) meaning the battery is in equalisation mode. However, this is taking a tad long (been 3 hours).

I need some advice as to whether I should allow the car to complete this process before I unplug or would it be ok to unplug mid way as I need to be away on journey soon!

I don’t know what it means to stop a equalisation process before it completes I.e bad things or not?

Thanks
If you’re running the 450v software then you’re getting full voltage. I wouldn’t worry about balancing just let it run as/when you can. It’s not so critical on a car like yours with the full voltage - as it is on some cars with balancing snd range issues. .

I was cleaning out the garage today & a neighbour was asking about EV's & asked how I go about charging, After telling him about the shared loop fiasco I'm still chargiing on "Granny cable" only at present (DNO coming on the 23rd-24th February to upgrade us (y) ) I plugged the granny charger in to show him.

I noticed it wasn't pulsing but a solid light so I left it plugged in to carry out it's first balance.

Three hours later the dash is now showing 455v.

2YaQcGvl.jpg

Last edited:
I have the old November 2020 update, I have tried leaving mine to equalise over several hours but I only see 444 Volts maximum and the range is only 147 miles in Normal :(

I have the old November 2020 update, I have tried leaving mine to equalise over several hours but I only see 444 Volts maximum and the range is only 147 miles in Normal :(
I had duff BMS from picking up my new car on 23rd December. Lost range and took over 11 hours to complete balance charging.

Had new BMS update released on 15th January 21 and now seeing range on GOM improve. Also after last 9 full charges I have seen balance time get shorter and currently on 4 hours on granny.

Also car is now showing 449v fully charged as expected.

Attachments

• 20210221_164014.jpg
    20210221_164014.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 93
Had a lot of problems after the BMS update in early December - the range dropped about 100 km - the real range after the update remained about 140 km only. Couldn't trust the numbers of remaining km at all. Every day - multiple warnings "Slow Charge the Vehicle" although I have slow charged the vehicle almost every night.
The car was at the dealership for more than 20 days, and they did the daily charge/empty cycles - only after 21 days the car was back to normal.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom