Should I buy a MG4 Trophy Or Not?

Should I buy a MG4 Trophy or not?

• Yes

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is their an instead off ? Are you considering something else?

Not got my mg4 yet, got a grey trophy on order.
My opinion if it's a second hand soul or a new trophy Id be going for the Trophy.
Whatever suits your needs best though

The Trophy has a few more bells and whistles, but it was this video that helped me make up my own mind to get an SE long range rather than the Trophy. Perhaps it might help you as well.

It's a tough call between the Long Range and the Trophy. And Johnny Smith makes a good point that "this isn't really the sort of car that you spec out with all the bells and whistles". That said, we went for the Trophy, for two reasons.

1: Cameras & kit. My wife is not a confident driver and is shocking at parking. Truly shocking. On our test drive I found the reversing sensors on the SE quite poor, really, and I doubt they'd help her much. Cameras should be a god send, as will the blind spot detection. If it prevents a near-miss or two, it'll be money well spent.

As for other kit, it's a lot of small things that add up. Is it worth the £3k difference? I don't know.

2: Personal choice, but Aesthetics. I think the car looks a lot better with the spoiler/rear light bar/lower indicators, and still represents excellent value vs the competition.

If the extra kit wasn't an issue and the car was purely for me, I'd probably go with the SE LR. I think it's in the sweet spot, value wise. But it isn't just for me.

As others have said including Johnny Smith the SE long range is probably the best value for money but I also ordered the Trophy because I like gadgets and the thought of regretting not spending a little more to get all the kit the Trophy comes with never came into the equation.

My original pre-order was for an SE LR as my head told me it was probably the best value for what we wanted. We travel to Wales and to Scotland several times a year so the LR was preferrable to the SR for us. But, by the time we came to the test drive and placing our order, we had decided that we'd go for a Trophy. We'd been used to heated seats and knew we'd miss them and I fancied having a reversing camera. We don't regret it at all even though it cost quite a bit more (maybe more than the bits are worth?). The only other car we were considering was a Kia Soul, but even second hand ones of those were often dearer that the new Trophy. It's the first new car we've had so when it came to it we decided we might as well spend the children's inheritance and get all the bits we wanted!

As others have said including Johnny Smith the SE long range is probably the best value for money but I also ordered the Trophy because I like gadgets and the thought of regretting not spending a little more to get all the kit the Trophy comes with never came into the equation.
Exactly the same decision I made, I thought the extra was worth it!

I was all up for getting a trophy but being the cautious type I waited to see what it was like in the flesh before ordering and I’m glad I did. I’m now waiting to see if Mg sort out the problems with the car and offer a different interior colour apart from dungeon black. But now there are other ev’s coming to the party which I am waiting to see what they are like and then make up my mind which suits me best.
There are two other options, firstly the BYD Atto 3 which is £30k on the road in Australia but BYD have said they are launching across Europe at 38k euro pre tax!! I think they are going to struggle at that, but I have heard rumours about BYD offering “discounts “ at launch next month. Secondly there is the Fisker Ocean sport, available quarter 2 2023, confirmed at £35k including vat, order books are open now with 60k orders already. This is my number 1 choice at the moment, really well specced, 17” multimedia screen, full panoramic sunroof, 20” wheels (non of the dinky wheels on the mg4) 6.5 secs to 60 and 273 mile range. It is made in Austria in the factory that makes the Audi TT, Jag ipace and big engined 5 series, so quality will be tip top. But what are they like to drive is the question, we know the Mg4 is a good drive.
It will be worthwhile hanging on if you can, there are going to be lots of ev’s over the next few years and lots of new tech developments. I’ve now decided to wait until next spring/summer and weigh it all up then.

That's the dilemma. A better and improved car is always on the horizon so if you wait you'll never get one. I think you have to make your mind up that today's the day I'm going to order a new car and get the best you can afford at that moment in time.

That's the dilemma. A better and improved car is always on the horizon so if you wait you'll never get one. I think you have to make your mind up that today's the day I'm going to order a new car and get the best you can afford at that moment in time.
Exactly this.
Lead times are so long now that by the time cars are delivered there's the next "must have" being advertised.
Same problem there's always been with any product that is electronic based. Think phones and computers, if I had waited for the best phone ever to be released, I'd be relying on carrier pigeons still 🕊️🦅

Is the trophy heavier or does the spoiler impact range negatively?
The driving range difference is negligible and it depends on how heavy your right foot is and the sort of roads you are driving on. The theoretical WLTP range is 10 miles less but the city range is only 2 miles less.

I was all up for getting a trophy but being the cautious type I waited to see what it was like in the flesh before ordering and I’m glad I did. I’m now waiting to see if Mg sort out the problems with the car and offer a different interior colour apart from dungeon black. But now there are other ev’s coming to the party which I am waiting to see what they are like and then make up my mind which suits me best.
There are two other options, firstly the BYD Atto 3 which is £30k on the road in Australia but BYD have said they are launching across Europe at 38k euro pre tax!! I think they are going to struggle at that, but I have heard rumours about BYD offering “discounts “ at launch next month. Secondly there is the Fisker Ocean sport, available quarter 2 2023, confirmed at £35k including vat, order books are open now with 60k orders already. This is my number 1 choice at the moment, really well specced, 17” multimedia screen, full panoramic sunroof, 20” wheels (non of the dinky wheels on the mg4) 6.5 secs to 60 and 273 mile range. It is made in Austria in the factory that makes the Audi TT, Jag ipace and big engined 5 series, so quality will be tip top. But what are they like to drive is the question, we know the Mg4 is a good drive.
It will be worthwhile hanging on if you can, there are going to be lots of ev’s over the next few years and lots of new tech developments. I’ve now decided to wait until next spring/summer and weigh it all up then.
I thought about this, then realised I can't keep up with new car's and technology. Seems to me there's always something new and better coming just around the corner.

Same weight as the LR I believe at 1,685kg, but the range is only reduced by around 10 miles due to the spoiler design.
The SR model is 30kg lighter but has less range.

The driving range difference is negligible and it depends on how heavy your right foot is and the sort of roads you are driving on. The theoretical WLTP range is 10 miles less but the city range is only 2 miles less.

Thanks guys , I guess we'll see if there is a way to take it off or an aftermarket insert that's more aerodynamic . Getting the trophy purely for the tech so the 15km difference might be recoverable if its the same weight.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back