teejayuu

Standard Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,
Reading the manual and the Follow Me Home (p50) section starts with:
"After the vehicle is powered off on the Infotainment display,... ".

Normally, I just get out and lock it, which is what the dealer told me (first EV) . Should I be doing this when I get out of the car?

Yes, I did find that, thanks. What I meant was that I'm not sure of the least time-consuming way to switch everything off, it all seems a bit weird. The radio seems to go on playing no matter what I do!

With my old Golf I just put it into P, switched off the ignition, took the key out, got out of the car, then turned back and locked it with a button-press. Simple, and old-fashioned.

With the Renault courtesy car I had, it sensed when the key had been taken more than a couple of feet from the car and locked itself. A bit unnerving, but it was definite enough when it happened.

The MG4 never seems to go to sleep even when I power off. Power off, get out of the car, radio still playing, turn back and lock the car with the button press and hope for the best!

Yes, I did find that, thanks. What I meant was that I'm not sure of the least time-consuming way to switch everything off, it all seems a bit weird. The radio seems to go on playing no matter what I do!

With my old Golf I just put it into P, switched off the ignition, took the key out, got out of the car, then turned back and locked it with a button-press. Simple, and old-fashioned.

With the Renault courtesy car I had, it sensed when the key had been taken more than a couple of feet from the car and locked itself. A bit unnerving, but it was definite enough when it happened.

The MG4 never seems to go to sleep even when I power off. Power off, get out of the car, radio still playing, turn back and lock the car with the button press and hope for the best!
Locking the car with the key fob or the door button switches everything off. Might take a minute for both screens to go black though.

Door button? I know I can open the car with that, but I didn't know it locked it. I'm looking for a way to keep the key in my pocket or handbag and not have to get it out at all. This is sheer laziness, but the courtesy car I had last week worked like that and I got to like it.

Yes the door button both locks and unlocks the car, no need to take the key out of your pocket / bag

Edit simply to say the key needs to be in range of the car, but it can remain in your pocket or bag, the car just needs to detect it for the button on the door handle to operate.

You can stop the radio by either pressing pause on the radio display or by pressing the right hand joystick on the steering wheel. To switch back on just flick the same joystick up or down.

Thanks everyone, and I'm catching on. I know how to stop the radio manually, it's just that my cue for knowing the car was shut down in my last car was that the radio stopped. In the MG4 it keeps playing!

I got the whole thing with keeping the key in my bag and pressing the door knob correct this time, so much so that the friend who was with me said, aren't you going to lock it?

Is there a way to be in the car and switch everything off?

My kids sometimes say can I wait in the car, but if they do the lights are on and everything is draining the batteries

Is there a way to be in the car and switch everything off?

My kids sometimes say can I wait in the car, but if they do the lights are on and everything is draining the batteries
Here’s a good, short video explaining how to power down the car whilst remaining seated. I find if you stay seated long enough, the infotainment screen will also turn off completely.

My shutdown procedure, key always in pocket:

• Press the P Button,
• Pause music/radio
• Release seatbelt
• Get out of the Car, and lock with the door button (or key fob)

When the driver door opens the car is no longer in READY mode.

If you want to sit in the car with everything off:
Settings (car image, bottom right) > Safety > Power off (still pause music/radio first) the screens will go blank after a few minutes
(unless you get off/on the driver's seat, which will make the car think you're ready to start)

Last edited:
This car is too damn smart for its own good!

It's the radio that spooks me. I was always used to the radio shutting off as the signal that my car was properly shut down. This radio never seems to go off while I'm still around. I can see I need a completely different procedure when I'm leaving the car now.

What happens if you simply put the car in P, get out (with the key in your pocket obvs), press the door handle knob and walk away?

This car is too damn smart for its own good!

It's the radio that spooks me. I was always used to the radio shutting off as the signal that my car was properly shut down. This radio never seems to go off while I'm still around. I can see I need a completely different procedure when I'm leaving the car now.

What happens if you simply put the car in P, get out (with the key in your pocket obvs), press the door handle knob and walk away?
Car shuts down.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel