Should I power off

I’ve not figured out how to charge the car and be able to open the doors

You
Have to lock it to start charging and if I need to open the door it stops charging?

The first time I charged at a public charge-point I sat in the car while it charged. I think I got out, didn't lock the car, did everything to start the charge, then instead of locking the car and walking away, I just got back in again and sat down. The charge went right on charging.

On another occasion I hooked the car up to an Instavolt and went into the attached shop. I probably locked the car at that point, but when I came back to the car I wanted to put the stuff I'd bought in the boot so opened it to do that. For some reason I got back into the driver's seat before I disconnected the charger - maybe I just wanted to see how much charge it had. Anyway, the radio came on and it was a piece of music I really like so I sat there for about ten minutes listening to it, and watching the car get itself up to 95%. It was still charging reasonably quickly even then, although it's an SR and this was only a 50 Kw charger.

The only thing I ever did that stopped a charge was when I unlocked the car and opened the door to fetch my camera, while it was on the granny charger. I didn't actually get into the car on that occasion. That stopped it, and I had to unplug the connector and plug it in again to get it going again.

It should automatically re-lock the charging plug in and resume charging after a slight delay, when you've unlocked the car, mine does.

I can't remember how long I waited, but it was easier just to start it again. When I've been on public chargers it has never stopped even when I've got out and gone away and come back, or alternatively just sat there the whole time. Just that once with the granny lead.

When charging it should charge whether or not it is locked or unlocked, whether or not you are in it. I never shut the car down manually ever.

And I get in and out, lock and unlock and the charging process is not interrupted.

I don't use a granny charger.

If you have a problem getting it to charge the shutdown process might help, some people have reported that it does.

Last edited:
Have come home from a 1300km/806mls trip with my Luxury/Trophy and seen that with some chargers I have to start the charging manualy on the infotainment screen when fast charging, other chargers just start by them self. After charging have started and I go out or in to the car, it might pause the charging sesson on some fast chargers for a bit before it starts up again.

MG4 and Tesla chargers work wery well and since charging at Tesla is cheaper than the rest here in Norway they are now my prefered chargers.

Last edited:
I can unlock mine on a CCS charger and it keeps charging. On a type 2 charger it stops the charge when it unlocks. I think it might resume afterwards of its own accord, but I honestly can't remember. The type 2 chargers that I use the most have a minimum cost per charge session so I'm reluctant to stop the charge in case it counts a restart as a second charge! I have no idea what my wallbox at home does as I'm always asleep when it's charging.

I read stuff about locking and unlocking distrusting charging, so I kept an eye out. But I haven't noticed any weirdness on my 23 Trophy.

Public charging, I plug in and start while my wife gets our daughter out, opens and closes doors, locks whenever.

I've set it charging, locked and left, realised I left bags in the car, returned unlocked, opened, closed, locked. Charging just continued.

I can unlock mine on a CCS charger and it keeps charging. On a type 2 charger it stops the charge when it unlocks. I think it might resume afterwards of its own accord, but I honestly can't remember. The type 2 chargers that I use the most have a minimum cost per charge session so I'm reluctant to stop the charge in case it counts a restart as a second charge! I have no idea what my wallbox at home does as I'm always asleep when it's charging.
Actually, now that I think about it, I almost never publicly charge on Type 2, so I can't say what the behaviour is for my car. At home I plugin and lock the car and don't go back to it, so it is possible that unlocking interrupts a Type 2 charge on mine too, I have just never tried it. Definitely doesn't on a Rapid charge.

Same here. I can definitely unlock the car when it's on a rapid charger - I've done it to get my ChargePlace Scotland card out of its cubby-hole, and it went right on charging. Also the time at Kirkby Lonsdale when I opened the car to put the shopping in the boot, then ended up sitting in it listening to the radio while it went on charging.

It definitely stopped charging the only time I unlocked it when it was on the granny charger though.

Type 2? I don't know. The first time I used a type 2 connector I was just practising, and I sat in the car while it charged. I didn't lock it at all, because I didn't intend to go away and leave it. It charged quite happily while I was sitting there. Four other times I've used type 2 chargers I just walked away leaving the car locked and didn't go back.

One other time, I walked away thinking I'd locked the car, but realised I hadn't locked it. Showing as unlocked on the app. App refused to lock the car and I had to run back to the car to lock it by hand. I just pressed the door knob and walked away. I think I looked at the driver's screen through the winow to check it was still charging, and it was. But that was locking, not unlocking. (Perhaps coincidentally, I wasn't charged for that session - the amount of charge drawn appeared as zero, despite the fact that the car was at 100% by the time I got back to it three hours later.)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 545 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back