SIM requirement

lfc958

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
I have a question I hope someone can answer regrading something I have see around a Data Sim for the Trophy, to enable the car to be a wifi hotspot and to allow OTA updates to the car.
Placing order today the sales person and despite being knowledgable had no idea or clue about a sim for the car.

It's a built in multi operator SIM with limited capacity, apparently 5GB/month for 5 years. Presumably there will be the opportunity to top it up but who knows at this stage.

Is it included for free with the trophy?
I believe this comes with the trophy and I have seen a Vodafone 5gb data sim for £4 per month, which seems ok, but they do not have the best UK coverage. Confirmation would be nice.

I believe this comes with the trophy and I have seen a Vodafone 5gb data sim for £4 per month, which seems ok, but they do not have the best UK coverage. Confirmation would be nice.
Right ok. So I recently switched to vodaphone business because where I'm moving to in cheshire only vodaphone actually exists so I guess its one of those eSims is it that you can share data on maybe with your existing data plan.

A bit like if you had an LTE smartwatch or tablet

Every model has a built in ESIM, it needs it for Ismart . Perhaps only the Trophy has the ability to make that a wifi hot spot? The esim will allow OTA updates as well ismart communication which all models need. I just use my mobile as a wifi hotspot in car anyway so hey ho

Alan

I have just seen a video for the ZS EV that has iSmart with the ESIM, which according to the dealer, is multi provider and the cost is covered for the lifetime of the vehicle by MG, this had amazon music app on the H/U. Interesting to find out if the same applies to the MG4.

I have just seen a video for the ZS EV that has iSmart with the ESIM, which according to the dealer, is multi provider and the cost is covered for the lifetime of the vehicle by MG, this had amazon music app on the H/U. Interesting to find out if the same applies to the MG4.
All models of the MG4 have the esim for connection to iSmart, however I think only the Trophy has the connected services like Amazon music.

All cars have an esim but the trophy has more functionality enabled. Interesting to see what the additional functionality actually is...let us know what you/anybody with a trophy discovers 🤔

Alan

MG iSMART - Recharge yourself gives a decent overview (SE has "iSmart Lite", Trophy has "iSmart")

What the Trophy gets over the SE:
  • Connected Navigation
  • Online points of interest
  • Route planner (Send routes through App)
  • Alarm
  • Weather Forecast
  • Amazon Music
  • Wifi Hotspot
  • FOTA (Firmware over the Air) Upgrade capabilities.
  • Bluetooth Phone Key

As BugEyed already wrote: The IOT (E)Sim is built in and cannot be replaced by your own. It'll probably support multiple (if not all) UK Networks, so you don't have to worry about coverage, but I don't know if the MG4 or UK Models get a higher data allowance. Other German MGs come with 1GB per Month, which should be plenty for APP Control and POIs, but perhaps not all that much for Music Streaming and Wifi Hotspot usage.

I'll figure it out when I get mine :)

Last edited:
I didn't login to my amazon account for music as I will be using Spotify through my phone and was scared it would use all the data and I'd have none left for updates and so forth

Why not allow OTA on all models? Save the dealerships time and money. So does lite enable push upgrades but less data pull? Interesting if the answer is no.

Why not allow OTA on all models? Save the dealerships time and money. So does lite enable push upgrades but less data pull? Interesting if the answer is no.
Frankly I doubt OTA works at all, I'm afraid it's just theory and marketing.

This isn't Tesla, so we shouldn't be expecting all that many, frequent and significant updates in the first place.

And while I don't own an MG yet, I've again read from others with other models that they have (had) to visit dealers for updates. The other week I test drove a Marvel R with outdated Software (R18 whille people are eagerly waiting for the dealers to get R22) and the update check that iSmart offers told me no update was available (even though I am certain that "R21" is available for update through the dealership).

Even here, in the MG4 Forums, the first buyers reported that the dealer had to update the car before delivery.

And a German guy in the ZS Forum had this message from his dealer (translated):

Currently no "Updates Over-The-Air (OTA)" (updates by the vehicle itself) are offered, but according to MG they should be implemented in the distant future.

Software updates are only installed if they are required to resolve a customer complaint, otherwise no updates are provided as part of maintenance appointments or similar.

This also means that no paid updates can be carried out without customer complaints.

I asked dealer today about pre delivery updates, it appears that there had been reports of glitches and the 10 inch screen freezing randomly, this update fixes them. How true that is .

I hope to buy an ZS EV in thailand soon (if the booking list will be opened again). Here the ZS EV also has an esim (there is no model without it). Is there any way to disable the esim or the connection with the network provider?

There might be cases in the future that I prefer not to be connected and avoid big brother is watching you.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, has anyone been able to speak to MG to understand if we can push our own profiles to the eSIM? My country isn't supported at the moment I'd like to push a global eSIM profile to that eSIM

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back