Single pedal driving....

I asked my dealer and was told that it’s only available on the new models, he didn’t explain why as I would have assumed it was a software function. My car is having a new undertray in a few weeks and hopefully they will update my software to R40, so I’ll see what happens

I asked my dealer and was told that it’s only available on the new models, he didn’t explain why as I would have assumed it was a software function. My car is having a new undertray in a few weeks and hopefully they will update my software to R40, so I’ll see what happens
The problem will be that R40 is only the infotainment software, it would need a specific module updated for single pedal driving and the big question is, does that even exist

I would say that Gen 1 cars are capable of supporting OPD. They can currently adjust the regen level and use the cars brakes automatically. So hardware seems to be in place but it will be down to programming the relevant modules, i.e use rergen to slow and brakes to stop if enabled.
But... it will be interesting to see what MG's take is on it. My car is in on Wednesday this week and I am hoping for an update from R33 on my Trophy.
What version does the OPD switch appear in ?

I think Phase 1 cars could do single pedal, but they want to keep it as a feature of Phase 2 (incentive to trade up).

This is pretty normal behaviour for most manufacturers.
Yes, but let's hope they don't take that approach when the car is already equipped to handle it, but we just see greyed out on/off switch for OPD. Seems a bit pedantic to do so
I can fully understand it if it needed additional hardware to achieve though.

I think Phase 1 cars could do single pedal, but they want to keep it as a feature of Phase 2 (incentive to trade up).

This is pretty normal behaviour for most manufacturers.
Not Tesl@...... 🤨

Unless there is an issue with an upgrade needed with hardware all cars get the improvements.

The day MG motor does anything with the customer in mind, is the day mr smart admit that the under tray has been badly designed and the AC unit is faulty…. Never going to happen.

My point is we will never get the one pedal update.

The day MG motor does anything with the customer in mind, is the day mr smart admit that the under tray has been badly designed and the AC unit is faulty…. Never going to happen.

My point is we will never get the one pedal update.
If we do.... i'll be keeping a keen eye out for those flying 🐷's

When picking up the car my dealer was running through all the controls etc, and gave me a stern warning complete with waggy finger , " do not use the one pedal on the highway, only for town use" he did not go on to explain why! I,m still trying to pick the bones out of that statement.

When picking up the car my dealer was running through all the controls etc, and gave me a stern warning complete with waggy finger , " do not use the one pedal on the highway, only for town use" he did not go on to explain why! I,m still trying to pick the bones out of that statement.
Your dealer sounds a bit over zealous to me. OPD is under your control and will only bring the car to a stop when you are slowing right down to a stop. That can be in motorway traffic of course.
When you go back, wag your finger back and say "tried it, it works just fine, have you tried it ?"

Strange thing to say, all recent Tesla's are one pedal driving and if memory serves me it's on all the time, I sure you have to change it to creep mode

Was he French...? 🤔

Most EVs prefer to be coasted on motorways/fast roads from my experience (if not using CC/ACC). You can't of course coast with OPD or B mode etc as the brake lights will be applied and you'd slow down/stop (depending on EV) if taking pressure off the pedal. If I ever get the Xpower delivered, I'll definitely use OPD on most journeys <50mph or so. Saves on the brakes and I personally find it easier to drive around adding a little bit of regen back.

I personally find it easier to drive around adding a little bit of regen back.

Regen isn’t exclusive to one pedal driving.
Those of us who prefer to coast still get some regen when we come off the throttle and plenty more when we use the brake pedal.
In terms of efficiency coasting is often better, and it’s certainly better in terms of driving relaxation.
I don’t like the positive pressure needed on the throttle to maintain a certain speed in one-pedal mode, where coasting mode needs very little.

Your dealer sounds a bit over zealous to me. OPD is under your control and will only bring the car to a stop when you are slowing right down to a stop. That can be in motorway traffic of course.
When you go back, wag your finger back and say "tried it, it works just fine, have you tried it ?"
Why would I need to go back?:D

The gen1 effectively does one pedal driving in traffic with TJA on in ACC.
It comes to a stop and holds the car until the car in front moves off.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back