Sleeping in MG4 [merged thread]

Valkosipuli

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have yet to find any Information is it possible to put car in utility or camping mode?

I am thinking of buying MG4 long range and want to use car for sleeping in it also so, is there a mode like this in this car?

If the only problem is the lights, why not just cover them with something?

I'm interested in taking kit with me so that I could sleep in the car if necessary. Right now I can't find my airbed so I haven't tried anything, but I have measured up. Bjorn (in that video) wasn't as comfortable as he could have been, because (as he says himself) he didn't push the front seats forward.

If you do that, and put the backs upright, there is a full 1.8 metres from the seat backs to the tailgate. I think one could get a (single) airbed in there, add a sleeping bag and you're sorted. Bjorn only had a sleeping mat, and I don't know how comfortable that would be.

You've got vehicle-to-load for your kettle or your microwave or whatever, you can watch videos on the entertainment screen, or listen to the radio or the USB music player. You can run the heating or the aircon. What's missing other than the DRLs staying on? I don't think these LEDs draw much power compared to the rest of that stuff, and Bjorn certainly did sleep in the car for one night and didn't end up with a drained battery.

Genuinely interested in the answer to this.

Im really interested in this if people have more insight for this one!

Is there no way to turn driving lights off? This car is really good if i can jusy work around this problem.

I asked about this as regards aurora watching and needing a dark sky to do it while sitting in the car. I think it's possible if you get out and lock the car, then unlock the passenger side and enter that way without sitting in the driver's seat which wakes everything up.

I think you would have to wake the car up to use the infotainment or the V2L or the heating/aircon though, so presumably that would turn the DRLs on too. Maybe someone with a Trophy would try it for you (the SE often works a bit differently from the Trophy).

Bjorn didn't mention anything about the lights staying on when he slept in the car He was doing it during the white nights, but they're pretty bright so I'd have thought he might have said something. Seriously, surely it's possible to cover the lights, and I don't think they draw much power. Is that really the only problem?

Im going to test drive the 64kw model next week and i will test this out also.

Well that is really one of the problems cause i really want to start to travel europe while sleeping in my car (ac on ofc).

Wierd that mg does not have utility mode. Would really be perfect if it did!

It sure where you are planning to sleep in the car but technically you can power the vehicle down. It automatically powers up by apply pressure (your bum) to the drivers seat. So you could just avoid the drivers seat when you go lights out.

Interesting. In the past I seem to recall the Austin Maxi made a selling point of it's ability to convert its seats into a double bed. EV's missing a trick as they are potentially a comfortable hotel room on wheels. Useful potential cash savings in a nation heading fast towards bankruptcy

Interesting. In the past I seem to recall the Austin Maxi made a selling point of it's ability to convert its seats into a double bed. EV's missing a trick as they are potentially a comfortable hotel room on wheels. Useful potential cash savings in a nation heading fast towards bankruptcy
You are correct. I had one and me and my brother slept in it while touring Cornwall. You pushed the front seats all the way forward and fully reclined them and the back of the back seats folded backwards so you had a full length mattress.

I remember that. Back some time in the 1960s I was with my parents and my aunt touring the north-west Highlands in my dad's Datsun 100A. We couldn't find a B&B one night. It was absolutely brutal, far less accommodation than demand, and people sleeping on the floor in hotel dining rooms. We couldn't even get that and slept in the car. It was absolutely hellish, four people in a small saloon car with fixed integral head-rests. Behind us in the layby was an Austin Maxi with two people sleeping comfortably.

We went home after that.

The trick with the MG4 seems to be to put the front seats as far forward as they'll go, and the backs upright, and then you have to put something in the read footwells to support the head end of your airbed. I would think a flight bag would do it. I would think anyone under six feet should be able to sleep quite comfortably.

It sure where you are planning to sleep in the car but technically you can power the vehicle down. It automatically powers up by apply pressure (your bum) to the drivers seat. So you could just avoid the drivers seat when you go lights out.

The difficulty seems to me to be that if you do that you can't run the heating or the aircon, and you probably want to do that.

I favour simply putting a (figurative) bucket over the lights.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
These suggeations would be very good! Just need to find someone who knows hoq to tinker these. Are only the front lights on or backlights also?

Now this deal sounds very good as i would have "camping mode" with these modifications or just cover the front lights as these leds dont use much power and car breaks down before the leds do.

Now there is only one thing which bothers me is lane assist which u cant have on and off button on driving wheel like on kona electric, but i guess its not so hard to put on and off on the driving console. I like to use lane assist on motorway only so nees it only on there.

Thank you for the answers so far! You all have been very helpful.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back