Slight wobble re collection - advice needed…

New car glitches are a permanent feature of life. Initial owners are the product testers and it's always been that way. The last new car I bought (before the MG) had a manufacturing fault that resulted in it dumping its hydraulic steering fluid on the road!
Yeah I guess all cars can have faults…. It’s just the last brand new car I had (a Merc A Class) was an absolute shit show….. so I’m hoping this isn’t the same!

Ah….. yes sorry just to clarify, it’s sat waiting for me (I could of had it a week ago) but I’m sat in Spain as I type, so I’m not in a position to be able to collect it.
Fair play.

so i go back to my Nana’s advice…….”if in Doubt….leave it out”

but i reiterate, you will miss out on a great car for a very good price 😁👍

No idea…. But this could be the same with any car. Most being in excess of £10K more
Thanks for the reply. I'm genuinely clueless about this since it will only be my 3rd car since passing my test 20 years ago and it has never been an issue. So, it is really a thing that you can spend £30k plus on something and be left without it for 3 months+ with no legal recourse?

I (perhaps naively) thought that it would be the manufacturer's legal obligation to provide you with a replacement car for the duration of the warranty.

Thanks for the reply. I'm genuinely clueless about this since it will only be my 3rd car since passing my test 20 years ago and it has never been an issue. So, it is really a thing that you can spend £30k plus on something and be left without it for 3 months+ with no legal recourse?

I (perhaps naively) thought that it would be the manufacturer's legal obligation to provide you with a replacement car for the duration of the warranty.
Sorry, I guess my response could very well be construed as flippant.

it is a fair worry. As I say though, no-one will know until the time comes (hopefully never will, but I guess it will for some unfortunate souls).

I would suggest, when you get your insurance sorted, you pay an additional (in my experience £50 quid) for a form of gap insurance which will not only pay the difference between the market rate and the amount owing, it can also pay for a loan car for the duration that your car is off the road. This maybe give you a little more peace of mind, and relatively speaking, not at a Kings ransom.

I'll admit to having similar "wobbles". Is there a guarantee, in writing, that if the car needs to be repaired then we will be provided with a replacement
That is understandable and fair enough. However, what I'm concerned about is what happens if the motor is leaking oil/coolant and requires a new one that will take 3 months to arrive. In that case, could I be left without a car?
No you shouldn't be they have given me a loan car until I get my new car as my car as issues but ime looking forward to getting my new one

Why did I pay for it? I was told by the dealer that they were not able to hold the reservation past the end of Sep, so the only option was the pay for the car and then delay collecting it otherwise we risked losing the car.
Really? I specifically asked mine if he wanted more than the £99 pre-order when that was converted to an actual order on the day the order books opened (Aug 19th). He said no. I've dropped by a couple of times since for progress reports, and he still doesn't want any more until the car is there.

Sorry, I guess my response could very well be construed as flippant.

it is a fair worry. As I say though, no-one will know until the time comes (hopefully never will, but I guess it will for some unfortunate souls).

I would suggest, when you get your insurance sorted, you pay an additional (in my experience £50 quid) for a form of gap insurance which will not only pay the difference between the market rate and the amount owing, it can also pay for a loan car for the duration that your car is off the road. This maybe give you a little more peace of mind, and relatively speaking, not at a Kings ransom.
Thanks again. I'll look into that, it sounds worthwhile in this case.

When we bought our leaf we had the experience of 10's of thousands of other buyers and we could be confident that the risk was low so we didn't even think about it but it doesn't seem to be the case this time, which is fine, I just need to include it in the TCO calculations.

This is the problem with being a scientist, sometimes I wish I could just follow my heart instead of having to make endless spreadsheets to justify everything :)

I think I'll bring it up with my dealer when I speak to him next, a verbal agreement for a couple of years would probably be acceptable.

Really? I specifically asked mine if he wanted more than the £99 pre-order when that was converted to an actual order on the day the order books opened (Aug 19th). He said no. I've dropped by a couple of times since for progress reports, and he still doesn't want any more until the car is there.
Please refer to post#18

Thanks all….. I think my wobble is just that, I’m really excited about getting it and I was really impressed on the test drive, I’m just a bit of a worrier and it’s a fair amount of dosh to part with…. I’ll move forward and collect and I’ll provide a review when I’ve collected it and lived with it for a bit!
The other thing to consider is in the age of the Internet, you get to hear about everyone’s issues from all over the country and other countries for that matter.

So if you let every issue that different people have bother you then you will get understandably anxious about it.

But the reality is that people have problems with all kinds of cars, new and old, which you don’t hear about. It still happens.

I’ve just ordered one and if it has issues I’ll take it back and trust the dealer to look after me and get whatever it is fixed.

The other thing to consider is in the age of the Internet, you get to hear about everyone’s issues from all over the country and other countries for that matter.

So if you let every issue that different people have bother you then you will get understandably anxious about it.

But the reality is that people have problems with all kinds of cars, new and old, which you don’t hear about. It still happens.

I’ve just ordered one and if it has issues I’ll take it back and trust the dealer to look after me and get whatever it is fixed.
Sound advice Shengis. 👍

the BIG downside of forums is people do all there moaning and groaning, telling people not to buy because there cupholder wont hold big berthas 2 gallon mug.
for the 5% who moan there are 95% who are perfectly happy, and will never join a forum , never moan about it, and if something goes wrong, because everything goes wrong eventually , they just go get it fixed

the BIG downside of forums is people do all there moaning and groaning, telling people not to buy because there cupholder wont hold big berthas 2 gallon mug.
for the 5% who moan there are 95% who are perfectly happy, and will never join a forum , never moan about it, and if something goes wrong, because everything goes wrong eventually , they just go get it fixed

Would people who just shelled out north of £25,000, or maybe £32,000, be justified in 'moaning and groaning' at stained driveways, oil leaks, under panel bulges and other issues, or not?
And questioning the happy 95% figure. Are there any non-happy owners who just shelled out the best part of 30 thousand pounds, but haven't joined a forum or a facebook group :unsure:

Indeed, a forum/facebook group is a valuable microcosm of reality; if a familiar pattern appears amongest members, bingo, there might just be a wider problem. It isn't science, but maybe a little more reliable than assuming (not that you did) the world is a rosy price for owners who don't post on forums. At least it's some real-world data, and not just data via guess work.

Case in point: I was once one of those 'happy' non-forum members living with an apparently no issues car. A VW. The car was a nightmare, with one thing after another going wrong. I wasn't into car forums at the time- I was one of the 95% of 'happy' owners. However, if I'd have researched common issues before hand, I'd have found that literally EVERY ONE of the issues I experienced with the VW appeared time and time again on, you guessed it, forums. I wouldn't have bought the car and endured the nightmare that the car was. So yes, I did 'just go get it fixed', but that was to the frequency of being literally on the dealer's Xmas card list, being without a car X amount of times, borrowing family member's cars, coupled with the presentment that what would go wrong next.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel