Slow charging at public charging station

Chick

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
We got our MG4 Trophy Long Range 3 days ago and charged it at a public charging station which is 22kW 3-phase.
I didn't realise that the cable supplied by MG is 32A single phase and not 3-phase so not able to get full 11kW of charge available. Ours was the only car connected to the 2 port station but we only pulled 2.7kW over a 8 hour period and didn't get to the 80% we were looking for.
When i checked the infotainment screen it had an 8A,16A and AC charge option but no 32A option, just wondering if there is something we are missing and think the charge station is functioning as it should.
Ant advise welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the charge port in the car ... are there pins in the L2 and L3 slots? If not then you'd only ever get 7kW max. from an AC charge point anyway, regardless of what cable you used.

(Phase 1 LR models - SE LR and Trophy LR - had 11kW 3-phase charging, but I think only the ER model in Phase 2 cars gets it now).

In the car just set the charge option to Maximum.

Hi, does your car have 3 phase charging ie are the L2 and L3 pins populated on the socket?
On 22kW EVSE with a single phase 32A cable you should have got something around 7kW

Hi, does your car have 3 phase charging ie are the L2 and L3 pins populated on the socket?
On 22kW EVSE with a single phase 32A cable you should have got something around 7kW
Hi, aha sneaky MG, L2 & L3 not populated so can't receive 3-phase ac charge other that DC rapid charge, didn't realise that.
i intend to mostly charge at home utilising solar and OVO anytime tariff so not a biggy.
Still not sure why it didn't rise above 2.7kW how.

Look at the charge port in the car ... are there pins in the L2 and L3 slots? If not then you'd only ever get 7kW max. from an AC charge point anyway, regardless of what cable you used.

(Phase 1 LR models - SE LR and Trophy LR - had 11kW 3-phase charging, but I think only the ER model in Phase 2 cars gets it now).

In the car just set the charge option to Maximum.
Thanks, i couldn't find an option to set charge to Max?

I've had this a few time on public chargers where it only pulls 2 to 3 kW when I I should be getting at least 7.4. That's if they work at all! Try other chargers to see if problem persists.

just because a public charger is rated at 22or 7 kW doesn’t mean it will deliver that power.

They are often wired to share loads. Lets say you have a twin connector 7kW charger. Its totally feasible that the post has a single 32A supply. If one car is plugged in you get 7kW and if another is connected it will load share to 3.5 kW each.

I have a local 10 bay 7kW charger station. If a few cars are using it you get 7kW. If all are occupied it falls to 5kW or so

Thanks for your response, the public charger has 2 ports and i was the only car connected.
I didn't realise the MG4 Trophy long range doesn't have connections for L2 & L3 but recon it should still have supplied more than the 2.7Kw i got.

Thanks for your response, the public charger has 2 ports and i was the only car connected.
I didn't realise the MG4 Trophy long range doesn't have connections for L2 & L3 but recon it should still have supplied more than the 2.7Kw i got.

Agreed. I have an SR so it was never supposed to have the faster charging speed, and I have seen it do 5.5 kW or so on public AC chargers. Including one day when a Leaf came up and shared my post, even though there were posts free nearby. I was cross and thought my charging speed would go down but it didn't. So absolutely you should be getting more than 2.7 kW. I suspect the charger rather than the car though.

It's annoying for owners of phase 2 LR cars that MG decided to remove the capacity for 3-phase charging from those models. I suppose they had to cut costs somehow to compensate for the windscreen wiper and other toys.

By the way, my father came from Cumbrae and I spent every summer there as a child. My car was given a good tour of the island in August when I had to go there to a funeral. So I know your stamping ground well. I don't have any relations living there any more, but for a while I seemed to be related to half the island. (Now I seem to be related to half the cemetery. :cry:

Agreed. I have an SR so it was never supposed to have the faster charging speed, and I have seen it do 5.5 Kw or so on public AC chargers. Including one day when a Leaf came up and shared my post, even though there were posts free nearby. I was cross and thought my charging speed would go down but it didn't. So absolutely you should be getting more than 2.7 Kw. I suspect the charger rather than the car though.

It's annoying for owners of phase 2 LR cars that MG decided to remove the capacity for 3-phase charging from those models. I suppose they had to cut costs somehow to compensate for the windscreen wiper and other toys.

By the way, my father came from Cumbrae and I spent every summer there as a child. My car was given a good tour of the island in August when I had to go there to a funeral. So I know your stamping ground well. I don't have any relations living there any more, but for a while I seemed to be related to half the island. (Now I seem to be related to half the cemetery. :cry:
I’ll try another charger tomorrow and compare as I’m waiting on my EV point being installed next week.
I’ve lived here for nearly 50 years now so I probably knew your dad, it’s a small world.

You might not have known him as he left the island in the 1930s. But if you knew Walter Kerr the photographer, he was my cousin. His father, Walter Kerr the coal merchant, was my father's elder brother.

Also maybe you knew Bobby and Elizabeth Wilkie, who moved off the island to Largs a few years ago. Elizabeth's mother was my mother's sister. Bill Sharp of Glasgow Street was my mother's eldest brother.

Small island, for sure. I was sitting in the old Parish Church at my cousin Walter's funeral, realising that my father's elder brother's eldest son (Walter himself) had survived the war by many years (he was one of the 51st Highlanders "Millport Lads") whereas one name I could see on the war memorial in front of me was Clark Sharp, my mother's eldest brother's only son, who was a couple of years younger and went into the RAF.

Completely separate family connections to the island on both sides. My parents actually met in Wishaw.

Sorry, terrible derail, must get back to your charging issues. I see there are chargers in the car park of the new church, although I didn't need them when I was there.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back