Smart app doesnt recognise the bind.

alanMG4

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Ive took delivery of my MG4 this week , wonderful car to drive. I cannor get the ismart app to bind though, it takes my details from the qr code however the app hasnt recognised the bind and continues to request a bind , very frustrating, is there a technical help line or has someone experieced a similar issue and found a resolution please.Thanks

There is potentially an ongoing issue regarding this. I would recommend to keep trying in the meantime and if after a few days it is still not working then the dealership is your route.

I picked up my Trophy on Monday and could not bind the car on the ismart app but I have found the resolution. I think the process is slightly different on the trophy compared to the SE.
Once you have scanned the first large bar code your details should upload to the car following this when you try to bind a screen appears that has a 3 step process to bind. At this point a smaller QR code appears next to step one and nothing appears next to step 3 along with an error message.
To bind the car you have to go into the display settings on the infotainment and change the display from auto to light mode.
If you try the process again the small qr code will appear as if by magic next to step 3 and you can bind the car. You can then set the display back to auto as normal.
I know this sounds weird but it worked for me and I had been doing factory resets and everything else I could think of.
The resolution was provided by my local dealer.

I picked up my Trophy on Monday and could not bind the car on the ismart app but I have found the resolution. I think the process is slightly different on the trophy compared to the SE.
Once you have scanned the first large bar code your details should upload to the car following this when you try to bind a screen appears that has a 3 step process to bind. At this point a smaller QR code appears next to step one and nothing appears next to step 3 along with an error message.
To bind the car you have to go into the display settings on the infotainment and change the display from auto to light mode.
If you try the process again the small qr code will appear as if by magic next to step 3 and you can bind the car. You can then set the display back to auto as normal.
I know this sounds weird but it worked for me and I had been doing factory resets and everything else I could think of.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my message , your solution worked, its been driving me mad ! However....how random is this solution and it doesnt appear in any documentation, I suspect you and I will be spreading this word many times in the future, cheers 👍

Glad it worked for you too! Its obviously a weird bug in the system. Have fun with the app I've found it to be really useful.

Do you have any solutions around binding more than one phone to the car? My wife and I are currently binding back and forth as we cannot both be bound at the same time. No innuendo's intended!

Do you have any solutions around binding more than one phone to the car? My wife and I are currently binding back and forth as we cannot both be bound at the same time. No innuendo's intended!
Replying to my own question. There is another thread.

Thanks for that. You provided the last clue (light mode) that I needed to get it done. (y)

O h I love the optism, six months, yes SIX months since I got my Trophy and Dealerships, Experts, Chinese Experts have all failed miserably to bind either my phone or multiple phones from the guys at the Dealership...ah well only thirty months to go on my lease and then I'm looking for a good old Morris Minor methinks!

Worked thank you very much, my dealer haven’t had a clue

Last edited by a moderator:

i have tried your resolution unfortunately with no luck, my situation is I have updated the app yesterday all the settings disappeared from the app, I have changed the email address and password but the mobile number is registered to the app, All works until you try to bind the phone to the car, I have to chose the change the account on the car otherwise I have no barcode to bind with, then it scans with a message , successful then the phone switches back to bind with the car again, totally frustrated by the whole process and a wasted morning, come on MG admit there is a problem with the App.

Last edited:
i have tried your resolution unfortunately with no luck, my situation is I have updated the app yesterday all the settings disappeared from the app, I have changed the email address and password but the mobile number is registered to the app, All works until you try to bind the phone to the car, I have to chose the change the account on the car otherwise I have no barcode to bind with, then it scans with a message , successful then the phone switches back to bind with the car again, totally frustrated by the whole process and a wasted morning, come on MG admit there is a problem with the App.
Hi Tosh, the solution I put on this thread is for the old app. I have the same problem as you, I cant get my car to bind to the new app at all. The thread for the new app has already hit 15 pages so hopefully there will be a solution soon.

I have emailed MG hopefully will advise on what to do , to be honest the standard of the App is very poor and definitely not user friendly, let’s hope MG are aware of the issues and will resolve soonest

Hi Tosh, the solution I put on this thread is for the old app. I have the same problem as you, I cant get my car to bind to the new app at all. The thread for the new app has already hit 15 pages so hopefully there will be a solution soon.
Same issue clearly a problem with this updated app come on MG sort it!!!!!

I have emailed MG hopefully will advise on what to do , to be honest the standard of the App is very poor and definitely not user friendly, let’s hope MG are aware of the issues and will resolve soonest

Same issue clearly a problem with this updated app come on MG sort it!!!!!
Your cars are already bound to your MG accounts, not your phones. There is no need to re-bind!

Simply use your existing login details (Don't forget to remove the first 0 from your phone number if that's how you created the account).
If you used "special" characters in your password, use the "forgot password?" link, as the new app doesn't accept those anymore.

I posted a reply from MG regarding this app failure unfortunately blaming a third party contractor and to be honest it’s not a priority to MG to fix, I will chase them next week for an update. I think we all share the same issues with this app and hopefully the more MG owners that chase this App failure with MG services the better

It seems to me that there really are issues with the app. However, the immediate and rapid actions of some just confuse the issue. That is: if it doesn't work, reload the app, rebind the car, randomly try things, blame the app, don't look for solutions on the web/forum, don't follow a set procedure. The lack of accepting the T&C's because the phone does not show them in the phone's display is classic. And the issues depend on whether this is a new car or after the app has been updated.

Today my app refused to connect to the car so I could not check its charging status. Was I worried, no; I could try again. It took 6 hours before the connection was made but I could see the charging lights or I could have used the car's display.

There is lots of advice so I will not repeat but what I have not seen is the question about an alternative login. Do some of the problems arise because a login exists for another device and that stops a login through an updated up?

Finally, I do have a problem with the app relating to failure to set the charging level. It may be my stubby fingers but we shall see but I will not do anything immediately.

I can login to my app with either my email address or my mobile number. However I first created the account using my email address ... after the app updated I had to first use the email address to login and all was OK. Thereafter I can now login using either method. When I first tried to use my phone login (after the app updated) it didn't work.

That's why I sound like a broken record telling people to login to the app using the FIRST details they used when creating the account - if the app is asking/offering them to bind to a car then they've logged in using the wrong details; simple as that.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back