• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Smeared Windscreen

rich

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have never had a car which has such a smeared screen. Its like a grease on the outside that you can see when there is sunlight or street lights directly on it. It is very hard to drive. I have tried all sorts of degreasers and cleaners but no luck. any ideas. It is only noticeable when it rains and wipers are in use. I have cleaned them too. the car is only 3 months old and has been like it since new

Not had any probs on TCLR but I used AutoGlym glass cleaner inside and out to remove all layers of film. Maybe your wiper blades naff? Fitting Bosch could be a good idea?

Have you tried any of the other suggestions here to to see whether they remove any residual film externally too:

I have no issues on the outside of the front windscreen glass on our ZS LR Trophy 🏆.
But a common issue can be that the inside of the front windscreen, develops a strange foggy type film on the inside of the glass over time.
This is caused by hot air getting pumped through the plastic heater air ducts and the oily fumes film from the plastic ducts, are deposited onto the inside of the glass and it builds up slowly over time.
Strangely enough, we where parked up the other day and it was battering down with rain, then the rain stopped suddenly and the sun burst thought the clouds ⛅️.
I turned on the wipes, but you could see the haze still on the glass because of the strong sun.
I wiped my finger across the corner of the windscreen, and it left a perfectly clean glass where the film was removed by my finger !.
Time to get the Autoglym glass cleaner out with good quality new micro fibre clothes.
This film forming on the inside of the glass is not just a MG thing, it is a common issue on all cars.
More evident with more use of the heater of course.

I would try a slightly abrasive paste type cleaner, IIRC Halfords did one a few years back.
Be wary of using any fast evaporating solvents as the rapid evaporation causes local cooling that can crack the screen, especially if it has a tiny chip, don't ask me how I know.

I have no issues on the outside of the front windscreen glass on our ZS LR Trophy 🏆.
But a common issue can be that the inside of the front windscreen, develops a strange foggy type film on the inside of the glass over time.
This is caused by hot air getting pumped through the plastic heater air ducts and the oily fumes film from the plastic ducts, are deposited onto the inside of the glass and it builds up slowly over time.
Strangely enough, we where parked up the other day and it was battering down with rain, then the rain stopped suddenly and the sun burst thought the clouds ⛅️.
I turned on the wipes, but you could see the haze still on the glass because of the strong sun.
I wiped my finger across the corner of the windscreen, and it left a perfectly clean glass where the film was removed by my finger !.
Time to get the Autoglym glass cleaner out with good quality new micro fibre clothes.
This film forming on the inside of the glass is not just a MG thing, it is a common issue on all cars.
More evident with more use of the heater of course.
White spirit sorted this on the inside for me. Meths just spread it around.

thanks for all your replies. i am aware of the inside issue (had similar with mark1) but its definitely outside on mk2 also

hi, yes i have tried the same inside. it is definitely smearing on outside when wipers are going. same since i bought it

hi, yes i have tried the same inside. it is definitely smearing on outside when wipers are going. same since i bought it
I meant have you tried the inside solutions people have bothered to offer you on the outside?

Have you tried any of the other suggestions here to to see whether they remove any residual film externally too:
try soap and vinigar mix

For all my exterior glass I used this - Glaco DX + Glaco Glass Compound Roll On

The compound cleans the glass properly , then the Dx makes the glass extremely hydrophobic. Like RainX on steroids. It’s been 2 months since I applied it and it’s still working well. The inside does get a film on it quite frequently though.

thanks for the soap and vinegar mix idea. it has helped significantly. thanks for all your suggestions

thanks for the soap and vinegar mix idea. it has helped significantly. thanks for all your suggestions
Yep, I was going to suggest white vinegar but I can see the soap and white vinegar working even better then just vinegar.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom