So, picked up the car but...

Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of it when it was plugged in after that first (and only) work trip, I take photos and record everything constantly now!
FYI: 102.8miles 42mph 3.0m/kWh, 16miles on GOM. -3c Eco obvs, no heating on at all.
The Friday was even colder hence why she wouldn't drive it.
(I've suggested dressing warmer lol)
🤣 You're a brave man!!

No heating on at all in those temperatures! 😬 No wonder she don't want to drive. I can manage around 105-110miles when I have been driving to work this week (88 miles around trip) I use heater at 2-3 blobs and fan in the beginning at 3 but lower it later on to 2 blobs. This week the temperature here has been around -5 degrees and I drive around 15 miles at motorway each way. Just rember the 0range low battery symbol comes on when there is still 25% left in the "tank", to early for my liking, but as long as you know that, then that maybe prevent rangeenxiety to some degree, I hope😉
I'll be avoiding that sign (and motorways) totally for a while. As for the notice, "System shutting down. Please pull over safely"...well, I never want to see that one again!!

One thing is never rely on what the GOM says in ECO mode.
If you want get a true reflection of the miles you're going to get, put the car in Sport mode and the heating on full heat and take a note of the range on the GOM, this is nearer the true figure. Then put it back into whatever mode you want and set the heater to what's comfortable, bearing in mind the GOM is now over reading by whatever it says minus the previous figure and base your charging stops on that (with some room for non-working chargers).
Another thing is speed, the ZS has the aerodynamics of a brick, so the faster you go the more it's going to affect your range. Stick to 50-60 mph if you can.
I salute you for setting out on such a long journey in the first place, you're braver than me and I wish you luck with your new ownership. ;)
The maths there is so useful, Kithmo. I'm writing that one down for sure.

I'm guessing that you bought from Vic Young i South Shields?

If so, I had the same "hands off" experience. Somewhat understandable given the pandemic unfortunately.
Yes, but I can't blame them. I chose to purchase at this point in the year and they did the best they coul within the rules. I made it through and learn from it.

That’s very true I’d like to see the old battery range changed to a battery percentage remaining switch as this helps put things in to perspective.
I really think it should have a battery percentage display and/or a battery kWh remaining usable capacity display.

I'll be avoiding that sign (and motorways) totally for a while. As for the notice, "System shutting down. Please pull over safely"...well, I never want to see that one again!!
That's handy, at least we now know what the warning message is when the sh1t has totally hit the fan.
My new motto: "System shutting down. Please pull over safely..."

I've just written an email to the MG dealer I bought from, as it's 14 days on Tuesday and, I think I can potentially return the car within that under distance selling laws - in theory anyway...
I've told them I'm notifiying them of the issues I'm having and to warn them that it may have to be returned if somehow it doesn't improve, as it wasn't sold as advertised/fit for purpose.
Really want to keep the car, it's great.

I've just written an email to the MG dealer I bought from, as it's 14 days on Tuesday and, I think I can potentially return the car within that under distance selling laws - in theory anyway...
I've told them I'm notifiying them of the issues I'm having and to warn them that it may have to be returned if somehow it doesn't improve, as it wasn't sold as advertised/fit for purpose.
Now at least you know how electric cars work. You can find car's with better heating systems ( heat pump) and with a lower drag coefficient. But all electric cars suffer in winter time when you need to heat up the cabin. I hope soon the dealer's will be better to inform about what happens when you drive in not ideal conditions. That is for all brand's not only MG. Interesting to see how you go on from here!

When I first got the ZS in September last year I compared the mileage travelled to the reduction in the GOM say every 10 miles or so to monitor how accurate it may be. I also noted each division on the fuel gauge was around 22 miles before dropping to the next. In the warmer weather I was averaging 3.8 miles/kWh (maximum 4.2ish) and have used these figures to estimate my re-charging requirements. Since the colder weather I haven't driven enough miles due to restrictions but from others experiences on this thread I don't think I would be able to achieve anything like the range I had in 'summer" which is disappointing.

Hopefully we can all look forward to warmer months to come and restrictions easing before next winter conditions reduce the performance.

MrG I am glad you like the car and admire your bravery in what turned out to be a real baptism of fire. You've probably gained 6 months EV experience in just one 10 hour journey. It should all be plain sailing from now on you have the experience behind you and can look forward to happy days EV motoring.

Thanks Micky. Still difficult to rationalise and hope things will get better after what happened, but they must... can't possibly get worse, surely?!

That’s a shame - under distance selling rules you don’t need to give a reason to return the car.

I must say I am a bit surprised to hear that apparently so many has been surprised to how the range drops in winter time. I live in Denmark, and have been following how the Norwegian's are looking at the EV's. They know problely the must about winter range. Is the debate about EV's different in other countries??

What an awful day you had. But it will get better. A couple of learning points I had. Expected range is partly calculated by previous journeys. If the car was new it had only been driven at low speeds for that 7 miles so the algorithm didn't have time to adjust. I found that on a long journey in the cold the first few miles use the most energy, to warm you up. I blast the heater ands seats on full and then turn them down to a couple of notches once I warm. The mile/kw improves. I have also learnt that 60-65mph is a better speed to get the most out of the battery, you get the time back by not charging as often/longer.
As for the charger cutting out, call the helpline and I have found them to be really helpful, even cancelling the cost.
I've had mine for a year and I'm not regretting getting it, although I did have my early worries.

What an awful day you had. But it will get better. A couple of learning points I had. Expected range is partly calculated by previous journeys. If the car was new it had only been driven at low speeds for that 7 miles so the algorithm didn't have time to adjust. I found that on a long journey in the cold the first few miles use the most energy, to warm you up. I blast the heater ands seats on full and then turn them down to a couple of notches once I warm. The mile/kw improves. I have also learnt that 60-65mph is a better speed to get the most out of the battery, you get the time back by not charging as often/longer.
As for the charger cutting out, call the helpline and I have found them to be really helpful, even cancelling the cost.
I've had mine for a year and I'm not regretting getting it, although I did have my early worries.
Thanks, John. Again, really solid, sound advice. I'm still nervous about using the heater but I'm not planning any motorway journeys (forever hopefully 😬) so I'll be able to get my head around that.

It's also really good to know about the helplines on the charger points.

From everyone's recommendations, I do think my original post and all of the following replies should be read by anyone who is new to the EV world so as to better prepare yourself! This is like the A-Z of EV ownership for the newby!

Hi MrG.
Good to know you are still with us 😃. I will like to suggest you to do the opposite, that is to use the heater instead, try 3+3 as long as you only go the 50 miles on your trips, then it is better to see the effect of the heating system being used. Otherwise you will scared of what is going happen next winter!.
The GOM is also going to adjust it self to your driving style, if you don't use the heater you will have an abnormal range for winter driving. If you are going to feel at peace with your new car, then you need to use the heater, you will hate the car if you feel you are going to drive without heat.
The EV stuff is a new learning curve, but you can do it, little by little.🍻

Hi MrG.
Good to know you are still with us 😃. I will like to suggest you to do the opposite, that is to use the heater instead, try 3+3 as long as you only go the 50 miles on your trips, then it is better to see the effect of the heating system being used. Otherwise you will scared of what is going happen next winter!.
The GOM is also going to adjust it self to your driving style, if you don't use the heater you will have an abnormal range for winter driving. If you are going to feel at peace with your new car, then you need to use the heater, you will hate the car if you feel you are going to drive without heat.
The EV stuff is a new learning curve, but you can do it, little by little.🍻
I know, the heating is quite important to use in a car and I shouldn't have to question whether I use it or not! Adjusting to my driving style makes sense-computers eh! Now, I'm still working out some of the abbreviations (I had to Google GOM earlier which gave me a little chuckle!): when you say 3+3, does that mean maximum heat and maximum power on the AC?

And thanks for the vote of confidence!!

I know, the heating is quite important to use in a car and I shouldn't have to question whether I use it or not! Adjusting to my driving style makes sense-computers eh! Now, I'm still working out some of the abbreviations (I had to Google GOM earlier which gave me a little chuckle!): when you say 3+3, does that mean maximum heat and maximum power on the AC?

And thanks for the vote of confidence!!
I hope you came upon "Guess o'meter" in your search!😉
3+3, is 3 red blobs of heat and 3 blobs of fan speed. That is enough for the most of winter driving, and some time you can lower it, if it is to much. We are all different in how we like it in the car🤗

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom