• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

SOC Contradiction

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So, long journey coming up so I set the target charge level to 90% in the iSmart app and connected up to my Zappi. Came back to it this morning and the charge was complete however.....SOC screen says 90% but main screen, and the iSmart app says it's only charged to 80%. I am reading it wrong?Drove around locally for a little bit and now all three displays agree at 78%.

Why the discrepancy I wonder? More's to the point, why did the car only charge to 80% rather than the instructed 90%?
Anyone else had this? Both indications now agree after the short drive

This: youTube link

Last edited:
I read the SOC screen showing 80% with the additional 10% greyed out. Did you set the charge level to 90% on the car as well as the iSmart app?

Stranger and stranger. I set the car target to 100% again last night (currently at 78%). Woke up this morning to find that the car had only charged up to 82%. Target was still set at 100% on the car and the app. Checked the charge graph on my solar inverter (set to draw from the grid from 12:30 to 4:30) only to find that the charge started and was only going for a few minutes before the charging stopped.
Anyone any ideas what I should be checking?

Not that us SE SR users have any choice anyway. ;)
That's because the SR battery Chemistry is LFP and should be charged to 100% to maintain a healthy battery, unlike the LR which has Li-Ion battery chemistry which should only be charged to 80% for daily use and only 100% before a longer trip or routine monthly Cell Balancing on an Equalisation Charge.

That's because the SR battery Chemistry is LFP and should be charged to 100% to maintain a healthy battery, unlike the LR which has Li-Ion battery chemistry which should only be charged to 80% for daily use and only 100% before a longer trip or routine monthly Cell Balancing on an Equalisation Charge.
I know ;)

Why do SE SR users have no choice? Does the app setting not work for SE SR? 😊
The standard range battery chemistry is totally different to the pack in the long range model.
That is the reason why MG wants you to charge the standard range to 100% SOC every time you plug into your wall box / Granny.
The App suggests you can adjust the charging level down from 100% on the standard range, but if you try to lower it to say 80% SOC it will NOT obey the command and will default back to 100%.
The long range WILL allow you to set your own charging level of SO.
Charging to 80% for shorter trips and day to day usage, then charging to 100% SOC for those much longer trips.
A 80% SOC on a long range will usually result in predicting range off around 210 ( ish ) miles, depending on ambient temperatures.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back