MG4 Software Update Thread

Now, I have to work out if a Trophy is worth the upgrade over the SE..
Only you can decide that. Have a look here for the full list of specifications. You'll need to scroll down and tap the + next to Full specification

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Now, I have to work out if a Trophy is worth the upgrade over the SE...
I wouldn't buy it for the satnav or wireless charger. Satnav works but everyone has a smart phone these days. But I do find the 360 parking camera to be invaluable when parking and heated seats / wheel to be handy in winter.

I think it depends on how you're used to parking.
I did a lot of my early driving in vans, so had to get used to using the wing mirrors, and that is generally still how I do anything in reverse.
But the camera is great for front parking, and for just making sure that I'm making full use of the space available behind me. I can get to within 1 inch of a rear kerb using the camera, by which time the sensor is just going bananas. (Our car park at work is very tight, and if we're not fully into spaces, we are liable to come back to scratches and scrapes.)
One feature of the camera that is superb is the rear view when I'm reversing out of our drive - our next-door neighbour has a people carrier thing that completely obscures the view of the road, and the rear camera gives an excellent view of what's going on out in the road.
The Trophy also has a thing where it warns you if something is coming along behind you when you are reversing out, which is great.
None of it replaces road awareness, but they are helpful additions.

I find the parking sensors on the SE pretty good and reversing cameras confusing!
Everyone is different, which is fine.

We've found a 360 camera (not reversing camera) transforms parking into a doddle, the helicopter view means you can park perfectly regardless of the poor rear visibility.

Since we had this on a car a few years ago it has become a must. Before I experienced it, I didn't get it.

I find it similar to the manual to automatic transition I did about 15 years ago - it was never that I couldn't work a manual well, it was rather that why would I work the gears and clutch myself when the car could do it for me. But before I tried an automatic I was a huge skeptic.

We've found a 360 camera (not reversing camera) transforms parking into a doddle, the helicopter view means you can park perfectly regardless of the poor rear visibility.

Since we had this on a car a few years ago it has become a must. Before I experienced it, I didn't get it.
I agree. No more excuses for parking badly in a parking bay.

How drivers reverse varies on how they've been taught and the vehicles they've driven in the past. I always use the side mirrors and use the 360 just as an aid but then I can reverse a 40ft bus round a corner. My father would always look over his shoulder and very rarely use the mirrors but he could reverse a tractor with two trailers between gate posts into a farm yard.

Brought my MG4 SE in once again for a service at one of the dutch MG Dealers (Van Mossel) and explicitly asked for the update multiple times. Again they told me there was no update available... They also mentioned the absence of a recall from MG for an update, that might be the only reason for them actually do a software update. Also didn't receive any alarms in the I-Smart app which leads me to believe they didn't even connect a computer to the ODB2-port, i'm guessing that this is how they do the update. So i'm still stuck on SWI69-29958-1100R21 with outright dangerous Lane Assistance, bad Carplay performance (frequent disconnects), absence of exterior temperature on the Infotainment system, no disabling LA from the drag down menu on the Infotainment system and so on. It was mentioned that an update could also be provided 'over-the-air', changes of that happing are very slim i'm afraid if i read other threads.

Brought my MG4 SE in once again for a service at one of the dutch MG Dealers (Van Mossel) and explicitly asked for the update multiple times. Again they told me there was no update available... They also mentioned the absence of a recall from MG for an update, that might be the only reason for them actually do a software update. Also didn't receive any alarms in the I-Smart app which leads me to believe they didn't even connect a computer to the ODB2-port, i'm guessing that this is how they do the update. So i'm still stuck on SWI69-29958-1100R21 with outright dangerous Lane Assistance, bad Carplay performance (frequent disconnects), absence of exterior temperature on the Infotainment system, no disabling LA from the drag down menu on the Infotainment system and so on. It was mentioned that an update could also be provided 'over-the-air', changes of that happing are very slim i'm afraid if i read other threads.
The dealer is right in the sense that very few updates are 'required' by MG as must be done.

However, there are all sorts of updates available to fix issues and problems.

The approach that has generally worked here for people is not to ask for updates but to report problems and insist they be fixed under warranty.

Presumably there are specific issues you are having trouble with that are the reason you'd like updates?

The thing to do is focus on these and say nothing about updates per se.

The dealer is right in the sense that very few updates are 'required' by MG as must be done.

However, there are all sorts of updates available to fix issues and problems.

The approach that has generally worked here for people is not to ask for updates but to report problems and insist they be fixed under warranty.

Presumably there are specific issues you are having trouble with that are the reason you'd like updates?

The thing to do is focus on these and say nothing about updates per se.
Thanks for the tip, that makes sense. If I don't mention issues, chances are an update might only introduce issues. I will keep that in mind for next time! :)

Interesting post on Facebook of an update on a Trophy on R23 bricking the infotainment and taking over a week to fix. In that case you can see why the dealers and MG don't want to do them unless absolutely necessary.

Had a first year service on my Trophy and managed to get the 59 media update today.
Made sure to mention a laundry list of niggly issues from launch (Bluetooth connectivity broken, LKA too aggressive, auto lights too sensitive, phantom emergency braking) and it looked like it worked.
I now have the CBeebies air con menu drop down and the Lane Keep assist quick toggle on the left drop down.
Got a few security and braking system pings on my phone so some modules and systemic stuff seems to have been given a tickle as well.

Seems fine so far and Bluetooth currently functional with an iPhone 15 which is a nice novelty. No idea how stable that is now. CarPlay also now thinks it’s a right hand drive car as well but is slightly smaller given the top bar is now ever present. None of the quick drop downs work whilst in CarPlay so it’s not amazingly useful all in for me.

I did have to tick the satnav authorisation boxes again but so far so good.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back