SOH 98.31 after 19889 miles

In theory you can get the same distance from eco & normal, but you would need to always be very conscious of how gentle you are on the accelerator pedal. I just can’t do it, I find myself unconsciously using more power on the dial in normal mode!
In Eco pulling away from standstill, I find the power goes up to 40/60 % without any encouragement from me just to get moving and I have to almost lift off the go pedal entirely as soon as it's moving.

You raise an interesting point, my wife asked me just the other day, what is more efficient using aircon or having the window/sunroof open.
I couldn’t answer it, as I doubt there’s much in it.
Aircon only seems to use an amp or so (it’s the heater that really sucks the life out of the battery), but open windows/aircon mess up the aerodynamics & causes drag.
I wonder if something like over 50mph the aircon is more efficient and at lower speeds opening the window/sunroof is.

In theory you can get the same distance from eco & normal, but you would need to always be very conscious of how gentle you are on the accelerator pedal. I just can’t do it, I find myself unconsciously using more power on the dial in normal mode!
Did Mythbusters not try to work this out many years ago? I'm sure that around 50 was the point where open windows gave way to air con being more efficient.

You raise an interesting point, my wife asked me just the other day, what is more efficient using aircon or having the window/sunroof open.
I couldn’t answer it, as I doubt there’s much in it.
Aircon only seems to use an amp or so (it’s the heater that really sucks the life out of the battery), but open windows/aircon mess up the aerodynamics & causes drag.
I wonder if something like over 50mph the aircon is more efficient and at lower speeds opening the window/sunroof is.

Regarding the consumption achieved between Normal and Eco modes, I never use Eco or Sports mode to be honest.
I just feel that my right foot has the same ability / affect as a silver toddle switch provided on the car 🤣.
If you are easy on the “Go Pedal” when pulling away and feather the pedal and try to keep the performance gauge under 20% - then in effect you are already in Eco mode with your foot 🦶!.
If I wanted an instant boost of power to overtake a slow moving tractor etc, then planting the pedal to the floor will over rise the normal setting and give me 100% of the power I required on tap.
I know the “Mode” button works okay, because I tried it on the first week of ownership, but I find little need to use it for the reasons I have stated.
I do agree with your point over the use of HVAC vs Natural ventilation from the tilted sun roof etc.
I think it’s one of them, if the HVAC is set on a low setting regarding the level of cold air required, the consumption of range is quite small.
But if you demand Max cooling and have it running a while, then you CAN see the range disappear more quickly.
I find like yourself, that providing heat to the cabin does deplete the range faster than using the A/C - But they do both like to eat the range.
My previous VW Golf PHEV was the same.
With a range of only about 30 miles tops on electric range, you quickly spot the drag on the range when using both of these functions.
With the heating set on high, it would kill off at LEAST ten miles of that 30 miles of range instantly !.
The A/C use would be a LOT less.
So, I have found that in both cases and on both cars, using the HVAC in either form has a bigger drain on the range than using natural ventilation.
One of the reasons why I went for the Exclusive model with the tilting sun roof.
In the tilted position, it provides air through the cabin and I consider the drag to be very minimal.
Also, if we require air through the vents then I control the flow by selecting or deselecting the recirculation button.
Air from outside will flow into the cabin without the HVAC turned on if the recirculation button light is not showing.
If it gets a little too cool, then by hitting the recirculation button, it will stop the flow of air from the outside passing through the vents.
If it is extremely hot 🥵 then I find closing the blind on the sun roof and using the HVAC in recirculation mode to start with cools down the car faster.
But after a while you may need to release the recirculation button if the windows start to mist over.
I like others have posted, don’t think the A/C in the car actually gets as cold as my previous ICE cars.
On my Golf, it could actually get that cold, at the bottom of the front windscreen, ice would starting to form !.
I don’t think you will ever see that in the ZS EV !.
Tinting the windows is an absolutely necessary I think 🤔.

Last edited:
Regarding the consumption achieved between Normal and Eco modes, I never use Eco or Sports mode to be honest.
I just feel that my right foot has the same ability / affect as a silver toddle switch provided on the car 🤣.
If you are easy on the “Go Pedal” when pulling away and feather the pedal and try to keep the performance gauge under 20% - then in effect you are already in Eco mode with your foot 🦶!.
If I wanted an instant boost of power to overtake a slow moving tractor etc, then planting the pedal to the floor will over rise the normal setting and give me 100% of the power I required on tap.
I know the “Mode” button works okay, because I tried it on the first week of ownership, but I find little need to use it for the reasons I have stated.
I do agree with your point over the use of HVAC vs Natural ventilation from the tilted sun roof etc.
I think it’s one of them, if the HVAC is set on a low setting regarding the level of cold air required, the consumption of range is quite small.
But if you demand Max cooling and have it running a while, then you CAN see the range disappear more quickly.
I find like yourself, that providing heat to the cabin does deplete the range faster than using the A/C - But they do both like to eat the range.
My previous VW Golf PHEV was the same.
With a range of only about 30 miles tops on electric range, you quickly spot the drag on the range when using both of these functions.
With the heating set on high, it would kill off at LEAST ten miles of that 30 miles of range instantly !.
The A/C use would be a LOT less.
So, I have found that in both cases and on both cars, using the HVAC in either form has a bigger drain on the range than using natural ventilation.
One of the reasons why I went for the Exclusive model with the tilting sun roof.
In the tilted position, it provides air through the cabin and I consider the drag to be very minimal.
Also, if we require air through the vents then I control the flow by selecting or deselecting the recirculation button.
Air from outside will flow into the cabin without the HVAC turned on if the recirculation button light is not showing.
If it gets a little too cool, then by hitting the recirculation button, it will stop the flow of air from the outside passing through the vents.
If it is extremely hot 🥵 then I find closing the blind on the sun roof and using the HVAC in recirculation mode to start with cools down the car faster.
But after a while you may need to release the recirculation button if the windows start to mist over.
I like others have posted, don’t think the A/C in the car actually gets as cold as my previous ICE cars.
On my Golf, it could actually get that cold, at the bottom of the front windscreen, ice would starting to form !.
I don’t think you will ever see that in the ZS EV !.
Tinting the windows is an absolutely necessary I think 🤔.
Yeah I keep thinking about tinting the windows, to be honest I don't think I'll do it now, it wasn't possible to get it done before I picked it up and that would've been the ideal time to do it.

Just thought, generally as our car is usually used in ECO mode, the aircon won't go on full power so we would notice less range loss compared to if you're using Normal mode.

BTW, I do like that you can have the blind closed with the roof open. Although I have nearly forgotten it was open when got out!

BTW, I do like that you can have the blind closed with the roof open. Although I have nearly forgotten it was open when got out!
This is a great feature.
If my car is sitting on the drive on a hot day, I will tilt the roof, close the blind and have both front windows slightly cracked open a little.
Closing the blind, cuts down on the heat building up in the cabin due to the glass roof.
The tilted roof and cracked windows help the heat to escape.
Because the car has no internal sensors, then the alarm is not going off all the time due to the air movement inside of the car.
I am always leaving my sun roof tilted open and forgetting about it.
In fact, I bet it is open right now !.
The car is locked of course.
I really would reconsider having the windows tinted if I was you, it makes a huge difference.
Makes the car look great at the same time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom