Soh after 20k miles

Coulomb I figured that'd be the case. Just another nonsensical terminological evolution. Can we use the term ternary lithium?

Peter, on our ZS long-range (that only cost 1000€ more than the standard range, I don't consider that a lot) the car charges to 4.23V/Cell, I don't see any buffer above that 😱 and discharges to 3.45V empty, possibly leaving a little in the tank at the bottom end. We will see where this gets us in a few years. But I remember doing a quick calculation before purchasing and it seemed to me that with the bigger battery and hence fewer cycles, further from the max and min, that we could do somewhere around 450,000km in the extended range before it would be equivalent to the standard. And in that intervening lifetime we could drive to our customary holiday destinations a couple of times a year without stopping to charge!

I'm sure my children will update you all as to whether that turns out to be true long after my passing 😆

Not only that, range of NMC is not what it is made out to be.

The Mk1 ZS EV makes available only a tad over 90% of the battery, the rest is buffers. And they failed to adjust the advertised range to reflect that. That meant instead of 263km it would have been a 240km vehicle when brand new. When I sold mine, degradation had started and reduced that further, to around 225km.

The Mk2 makes available about 96% of the battery, and the advertised range seems more conservative. I still get the 320km for most of my day to day driving.

Now assuming the Mk2 long range version is similar to the Mk1, seeing it has the same battery technology, how long until the actual range of the LR with NMC battery is identical to the standard range with LFP?

For the ZS EV the difference in battery size is sufficient that that might never happen, but the price difference is very substantial too.

For the MG4, the 64kWh version is quite pointless though for anyone who plans to keep the car for a long time.
As somebody who owns an SR LFP car I don't disagree with any of this.

I just don't see many people buying it for the LFP chemistry given MG make zero mention of it.

Only those really digging into the details will know the difference. Which probably is a small percentage of buyers. Most buyers will be buying on price/range factors.

our ZS long-range (that only cost 1000€ more than the standard range

That's a surprisingly small price difference. It never was this small in Australia, I believe it started at A$ 6000 (almost 4000 Euros), and by now has narrowed a bit, but still adds more than 10% to the overall cost in most states (after susidies).

For a mere 1000€ I would certainly have considered it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom