Solar installer recommendations

marcopolomt

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So I am almost certainly going to install solar, and probably storage too, but I am wary of the market. I just don't know who to trust.

I have booked an appointment with eon just because its a larger firm, but they seem expensive. The battery they quote is givenergy so ideal, but its the smaller version and I'm not sure they do larger. Also unsure about their management system app. If I'm installing a battery then I would also like to leverage off-peak energy prices, especially in winter or other times when solar isn't performing as well.

I might just get panels for now though as the Mrs homeschool's, and I work from home most days anyway. We also have a heat recovery system in the loft always drawing power. We do use quite a lot of energy with most days ranging around 20 to 30kw (a third on average at night as we try to time washer and drier for night). Happy to continue charging the car at night on octopus go, but might fit a zappi when I come to fit a charger (currently manage with granny cable or at work).

Anybody have any recommendations? We live in North Staffordshire. Happy to accept referral codes.

So I am almost certainly going to install solar, and probably storage too, but I am wary of the market. I just don't know who to trust.

I have booked an appointment with eon just because its a larger firm, but they seem expensive. The battery they quote is givenergy so ideal, but its the smaller version and I'm not sure they do larger. Also unsure about their management system app. If I'm installing a battery then I would also like to leverage off-peak energy prices, especially in winter or other times when solar isn't performing as well.

I might just get panels for now though as the Mrs homeschool's, and I work from home most days anyway. We also have a heat recovery system in the loft always drawing power. We do use quite a lot of energy with most days ranging around 20 to 30kw (a third on average at night as we try to time washer and drier for night). Happy to continue charging the car at night on octopus go, but might fit a zappi when I come to fit a charger (currently manage with granny cable or at work).

Anybody have any recommendations? We live in North Staffordshire. Happy to accept referral codes.
As a slight aside, but related - I just got my Home Energy Report renewed - they determined I don't have cavity wall insulation and the insulation in the roof of my (older) attic conversion is minimal at best - so as well as looking at solar, getting insulation sorted will protect against increasing heating bills too.

Ther GivEnergy batteries come in modules and can be expanded. See below

After doing a bit of research I'm thinking fill my roof with panels and a smaller battery for now, and add to storage later.

Still waiting for anyone other than EON to get back to me . My roof is around 7m x 6m south-southwest facing so would rather fill that with panels first. worked out my average daily electric use to be around 22kWh. some days it dips below 20, but others well above 30 when charging my car.

After doing a bit of research I'm thinking fill my roof with panels and a smaller battery for now, and add to storage later.

Still waiting for anyone other than EON to get back to me . My roof is around 7m x 6m south-southwest facing so would rather fill that with panels first. worked out my average daily electric use to be around 22kWh. some days it dips below 20, but others well above 30 when charging my car.
We had Deege Solar install our system. Reasonably priced & did a great job. They are very busy though.

We had Deege Solar install our system. Reasonably priced & did a great job. They are very busy though.
I am getting that impression. When I previously enquired about solar I had no shortage of companies contacting me. So far i have only managed to get an appointment video call quote with EON, and even that wont be for another month. It's no surprise given the current circumstances.

Only one in reasonable travel distance to me has given me quotes (5 in total) so I'm likely to accept one of those. Still awaiting eon though but looking at their price guidance and what they can offer I'm likely to accept one of the quotes issued.

Leaning towards 4.4 kWp setup consisting of Jinko tiger panels with solaredge optimisers, solaredge HD inverter, 8.2kWh GivEnergy Battery, and a Zappi v2 charger.

little more complex install as can't use current consumer unit due to location, also big, awkward run to zappi charger which is opposite end of the property from the meter and down the bottom of the garden. Quoted £11200. I could have gone for a smaller setup, with a smaller battery for £8300 (cheapest of the quotes), but that is without the zappi which i really need now I work from home.

Worked out payback between 6 and 8 years exc. Zappi. Happy to accept longer, should have done it sooner.

I suppose if you plan to stay for at least 10 years and you have the capital to invest then it's a no brainer. Sounds like a pretty good deal considering I was quoted £8k just to install panels without charger or battery storage.

Only one in reasonable travel distance to me has given me quotes (5 in total) so I'm likely to accept one of those. Still awaiting eon though but looking at their price guidance and what they can offer I'm likely to accept one of the quotes issued.

Leaning towards 4.4 kWp setup consisting of Jinko tiger panels with solaredge optimisers, solaredge HD inverter, 8.2kWh GivEnergy Battery, and a Zappi v2 charger.

little more complex install as can't use current consumer unit due to location, also big, awkward run to zappi charger which is opposite end of the property from the meter and down the bottom of the garden. Quoted £11200. I could have gone for a smaller setup, with a smaller battery for £8300 (cheapest of the quotes), but that is without the zappi which i really need now I work from home.

Worked out payback between 6 and 8 years exc. Zappi. Happy to accept longer, should have done it sooner.
One thing I'd add on here is the amount of electricity you can use depends on the inverter capacity. No matter however big your battery is. I would suggest go for a higher inverter than a higher battery. In my setup, I have a 3.6kW inverter. Practically you get about 3.2-3.3 out of that. Granny charger takes about 2.6. if there are other electricals running at the same time and all put together is over 3.3, the rest will be drawn for the grid. Even if your battery has enough juice, it wont come out more than 3.3. I am not sure how Zappi works with Solar Integration but whatever it does, I assume it has to come via the inverter.

I noticed that Sunak announced a temporary axing of VAT on home retrofit renewable energy products and services in his statement yesterday. While I'm sure it won't actually help that many people (compared to the numbers facing people from overall energy price rises etc.), it's a reasonable first step and it would be nice if the French did the same :-(

I noticed that Sunak announced a temporary axing of VAT on home retrofit renewable energy products and services in his statement yesterday. While I'm sure it won't actually help that many people (compared to the numbers facing people from overall energy price rises etc.), it's a reasonable first step and it would be nice if the French did the same :-(
Yeah - the drop from 5% to 0% isn't too significant for Solar PV, but could make an impact to folks fitting a Solar Battery, etc which would have been 20% VAT previously (unless fitted at same time as panels, then it would be 5%).

Can't help but think it may have been better to leave the 5% VAT and put more money towards grants for insulation as that's a much bigger issue for low income house holds rather than renewable energy sources which are likely out with people's budgets. (Not saying renewable energy sources aren't a vital improvement - but proper insulation is a first & important step which UK housing stock badly needs).

From my own perspective, it's a welcome change - but the 5% saving isn't going to impact my decisions in all honesty.

Last edited:
Yeah - the drop from 5% to 0% isn't too significant for Solar PV, but could make an impact to folks fitting a Solar Battery, etc which would have been 20% VAT previously (unless fitted at same time as panels, then it would be 5%).

Can't help but think it may have been better to leave the 5% VAT and put more money towards grants for insulation as that's a much bigger issue for low income house holds rather than renewable energy sources which are likely out with people's budgets. (Not saying renewable energy sources aren't a vital improvement - but proper insulation is a first & important step which UK housing stock badly needs).

From my own perspective, it's a welcome change - but the 5% saving isn't going to impact my decisions in all honesty.
I didn't see any mention of removing the VAT for batteries, has it been removed ?

I didn't see any mention of removing the VAT for batteries, has it been removed ?
Hmmm - maybe I am making assumptions since they mentioned Solar PV, Heatpumps, Wind & water Turbines. Perhaps they'll be 0% if fitted with solar PV only since their VAT rate was linked previously

Measures proposed have included a temporary axing of VAT on home retrofit products and services. Sunak announced VAT relief for energy-saving products and home solar panels. The relief will be in place for at least five years. It covers things like insulation, triple glazing and renewable energy generation. Domestic battery energy storage is notably absent.

Can't help but think it may have been better to leave the 5% VAT and put more money towards grants for insulation as that's a much bigger issue for low income house holds rather than renewable energy sources which are likely out with people's budgets.
I think you make a good point. Comparatively few people (as a percentage of the number of UK households) can afford to invest in solar/wind/batteries etc. and insulation initiatives could arguably actually do more to lower greenhouse gas emissions than a few people installing renewables anyhow.

One thing I'd add on here is the amount of electricity you can use depends on the inverter capacity. No matter however big your battery is. I would suggest go for a higher inverter than a higher battery. In my setup, I have a 3.6kW inverter. Practically you get about 3.2-3.3 out of that. Granny charger takes about 2.6. if there are other electricals running at the same time and all put together is over 3.3, the rest will be drawn for the grid. Even if your battery has enough juice, it wont come out more than 3.3. I am not sure how Zappi works with Solar Integration but whatever it does, I assume it has to come via the inverter.
Zappi uses spare solar generation to trickle charge the car. say i'm producing 3kWh, and house is using 0.5kWh, then the charge rate would be 2.5kWh.

I wouldn't always charge this way. More than happy to zap the car up quickly at night on octopus go. Same with battery, if it can't charge via solar then its getting topped up off peak to be used during the day. Solar plus storage plus zappi is key to get the most of the system. I want to keep export to a minimum as the SEG rates are a joke.

I think you make a good point. Comparatively few people (as a percentage of the number of UK households) can afford to invest in solar/wind/batteries etc. and insulation initiatives could arguably actually do more to lower greenhouse gas emissions than a few people installing renewables anyhow.
sorry to say this but most people who don't have proper insulation are in that position because they refused it when it was very cheap and subsidised, or free! I know that from my own experience selling insulation. The amount of stupid crap I have heard is astounding.

Still going on today with evs and the like. I had somebody insisting I was wrong, and that government can take electricity from my car whenever they want.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom