Spare wheel size

This is one I’m wondering about too. I have a ZS EV spare kit which I was wondering if I can use.

I was thinking along the Same lines I kept my MG5 genuine MG spare wheel and tool kit which is 16inch knowing that the MG4 wheels are 17inch so I have not tried to fit it as yet but when I placed it against the wheel on the 4 there is only about half an inch difference between them, now this perhaps is because of the tyre profile so if the studs holes or the same I think it might well be fine.
The only issue would be unlike the 5 the 4 as no spare wheel well so would have to live in the boot.
This is something that as confused me for years as when we purchased the wife’s Corsa
Brand new in 2005 which we have just sold with just over 60,000 on the clock and as good as new to purchase the MG4 for her the Corsa had 15 inch wheels but the space saver spare that came with the car from new
( yes in them days cars came with a spare wheel and a jack and tools ) and the spare that came with the car was 14inch not that we every had to use it.
Les

Does the MG5 "get-you-home" spare wheel fit the MG4, because I'll keep my MG5 spare to carry in my MG4 when it arrives?

Yes. With a few caveats that apply to all spacesavers:
  • the standard MG5 spacesaver is 125/90R16, so clearly different to the 215/50R17. But it's within the magical advice of 3% of diameter/circumference.
IMG_20221204_172836.jpg

• All spacesavers are limited to 50 miles at 50 mph and should be replaced after use.
  • The wheel design has the same key dimensions, 5 studs on a 112mm PCD with a 57mm centre bore.
  • You can use the standard MG wheel bolts from the alloy wheels.
Some people buy secondhand spacesavers from MkV-VII Golf (which are often too small but other VW cars from the same era are better) or C class MB pre-2015. Beware the former need the VW bolts, the latter an adaptor for the larger centre bore. Obviously they are old so in theory the tyres are past their best and should be replaced, but in practice they sometimes will have been well kept.

The MG4 has no spare wheel well and no jack or wheel brace. A spare wheel is a big and heavy item and must be properly restrained otherwise could be lethal in the event of an accident. Just having it in the boot under the load cover may not be sufficient to restrain it.

Given the standard size most breakdown services will be able to source a suitable replacement, so if you stick with dealer servicing there's an alternative.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel