Spare wheel ZS EV

FrankCarlus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I couldn't source an MG 'genuine' space saver spare locally in Australia, and I think the absence of a spare is a significant shortcoming particularly if you mostly drive on rural roads. So after doing a bit of 'google research' I think I've solved it. I got a VW Golf MK5 space saver spare which fits perfectly and VW studs, made some adjustments to the polystyrene insert to fit an MG scissor jack and related tools, plus the original inflator and goo cannister - the latter is what you may call a Belt and Braces approach. So here's the result.

Attachments

• IMG_20211122_155617.jpg
    IMG_20211122_155617.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20211122_155652.jpg
    IMG_20211122_155652.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20211122_155709.jpg
    IMG_20211122_155709.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20211122_155724.jpg
    IMG_20211122_155724.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20211122_155734.jpg
    IMG_20211122_155734.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20211122_155840.jpg
    IMG_20211122_155840.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20211122_155857.jpg
    IMG_20211122_155857.jpg
    782.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20211122_160133.jpg
    IMG_20211122_160133.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20211122_180603.jpg
    IMG_20211122_180603.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 162
Did you consider a full size spare?
If you use a full size spare, you loose the facility to use the boot floor cover on its lowest setting and therefore you loose boot capacity space.
If that is not a problem, then go for it !.
Loosing that space on the off chance you may need a quick ride to the tyre shop was not worth it for me.
I would compromise and use the space saver and retain the extra space myself ?.

I couldn't source an MG 'genuine' space saver spare locally in Australia, and I think the absence of a spare is a significant shortcoming particularly if you mostly drive on rural roads. So after doing a bit of 'google research' I think I've solved it. I got a VW Golf MK5 space saver spare which fits perfectly and VW studs, made some adjustments to the polystyrene insert to fit an MG scissor jack and related tools, plus the original inflator and goo cannister - the latter is what you may call a Belt and Braces approach. So here's the result.
Hi @FrankCarlus .
Great job by the way !.
I can see what looks like a orange extension cable behind the spare wheel ?.
Idea - Maybe wind / coil the extension around the outside of the space saver ?.
This will help stop the cable twisting into knots etc.
I do this with my type 2 cable in my car.
Very neat and tidy and keeps the cable in great shape.

If you use a full size spare, you loose the facility to use the boot floor cover on its lowest setting and therefore you loose boot capacity space.
Loosing that space on the off chance you may need a quick ride to the tyre shop was not worth it for me.
The OP talked about the risk of breakdown on rural roads where you are not likely to find a tyre shop around the next bend. If you look closely at a spacesaver tyre you will see that it has minimal tread and is entirely unsuited for any degree of hard service. If your perceived need is to cover a short distance on good quality tarmac the spacesaver is entirely fit for purpose. Longer distances and more rugged terrain are another matter entirely.

Don't forget to get the VW wheel bolts which have a different seating profile to the MG bolts, one is taper the other is rounded.

The OP talked about the risk of breakdown on rural roads where you are not likely to find a tyre shop around the next bend. If you look closely at a spacesaver tyre you will see that it has minimal tread and is entirely unsuited for any degree of hard service. If your perceived need is to cover a short distance on good quality tarmac the spacesaver is entirely fit for purpose. Longer distances and more rugged terrain are another matter entirely.
Your right of course, I did forget the OP lives down under, where your next tyre shop can be a long drive away !.
In that case bugger the extra space in the boot, go for the full size spare !.
@Kithmo I think he said he already has the VW wheel bolts ?.
Good shout anyway 👍.

Remember too that extra weight of a full spare would lose you range too.

That weight is only the difference between the weight of a space saver and full size wheel. Its effect would not even be measurable.

Some of the comments are a bit unfounded, it looks to me as if this is a brand new space saver tyre, and I think he's done a good job with this, OP says he is driving on rural roads NOT out in the desert, I live in Norfolk.... all rural roads. Also, remember he's still got his goo and compressor. He's only going to be 70 miles(ish) from a charge point, max. so not likely to be out in the outback. I congratulate him for identifying a personal issue and finding a good solution.

Incidentally, I carry one of these kits too. Maybe belt, braces AND a bit of string but they cost about a tenner, the size of a couple of fag packets and weigh nothing.
61kRGepxfzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
The space saver should be good for 50km or so to get to a tyre shop. Not so much out in the outback.

Great to hear what you have achieved. I happen to have a spare VW space saver from our Golf 20 TDI because we bought a full spare for the Golf. Not making country runs at present, but it's there if I need it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom