Speakers!?

Perhaps it's changed, but a few members on the Cupra Born forum were surprised...

I debated the Beats audio upgrade when I was ordering mine but decided against it. It was only after getting the car that I found out the standard audio system has no rear speakers. Had I known that beforehand I would have opted for Beats.
Cupra Born | V3 | Aurora Blue | e-Boost | 20" 'Blizzard' Wheels | Panoramic Roof | Easee One Charging Robot

I was really disappointed by the standard setup, partly as it’s pretty thin sounding, but mostly as the non-beats setup only has front speakers, I’m so gutted I missed that at ordering for the sake of £400.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-M | Aurora Blue

Not doubting you at all was just curious as to where the 5 speakers were.
My neighbour has a V2 I've been in it, never even occurred to me to look or ask (definitely not got the beats audio upgrade) will need to mention it next time I see him

Not doubting you at all was just curious as to where the 5 speakers were.
My neighbour has a V2 I've been in it, never even occurred to me to look or ask (definitely not got the beats audio upgrade) will need to mention it next time I see him
Would have to guess that all the 5 speakers are in the front. If so Cupra's literature I think is mis-leading, as if I read that it had 5 speakers I would have expected rear speakers. Not 5 in the front.

Wonder if they've recently changed it to having speakers in the back?

I wonder if it's just MG and Cupra then that's not bothering with rear speakers on certain models, really poor if you ask me. Just cost cutting for cost cutting sake IMO.

Last edited:
5 in the front would not be that unusual ... 2x front door speakers, 2x dash tweeters, and (in this case, I guess) a sub-woofer mounted somewhere.

I was discussing the lack of rear speakers in the Cupra forum, as the born doesn’t have them either (unless you spec the upgraded ‘beats’ system)
It’s 5 speakers in the front (two door, two tweeters, one centre dash)
Here’s my theory…
Rear passengers are ‘usually’ kids.
Kids, these days, have ZERO interest in sound coming through the car…literally none.
They will sit listening to their own stuff on headphones/earbuds.
If you had speakers in the back, they’d ask for them to be turned off.
Therefore it’s completely pointless fitting them, front speakers are fine for the driver, I certainly don’t miss them.
Just a thought. 👍

Thanks for all the comments guys. It’s all learning for me and looking at things from different perspectives.
Trends change and things you take for granted can be removed on new cars. Many EV makers are desperately trying to simplify the car to keep costs down, given the extra expense of EVs - they are stuck between a rock and a hard place: they can't make it cheap enough to sell enough to bring the price down.

I believe it is ... but they'd also need to run the wiring as well as fit speakers.
You will probably find cabling is there already. To keep costs lower they will use the same wiring looms but just not connect devices to the lower spec'd models.

I do miss the time when you could buy and fit your own car audio. I had a Pioneer head unit with cd autochanger in the boot, a 500w amp for the big speakers on the rear shelf, bass bin in the boot - and this kit moved through a Fiat 127 Sport, Alfasud Sprint, VW Jetta and a Kia Pride. Those were the days!

Isn’t the forthcoming Volvo EX30 supposedly has a full length sound bar mounted at the front of the dash just below the windscreen.
No speakers in any of the doors.

Isn’t the forthcoming Volvo EX30 supposedly has a full length sound bar mounted at the front of the dash just below the windscreen.
Yeah apparently to add more storage in the doors, got to save money also not having to run cable right round the car

Rear speakers are definitely just for the rear passengers - They make the sounds for all occupants more rich and surrounding

Mg has been at this a long time, as far as i'm aware, on all of their current models they do it.

I like the idea of this, provided there’s enough bass.
I had surround sound at home for years, now have a Yamaha sound bar and sub instead.
Sound coming ‘at’ me is fine, I don’t miss it being ‘all around’ me at all.

I like the way the MG4 lets you balance the sound to the driver's seat. I never found a way to do that in the Golf, and everything was always a bit louder in my left ear. It was great in the MG4 to be able to place the sound so that it's coming at me through the steering wheel.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back