Speed Limit Recognition Issues

ZSchat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Apologies, for a long post and I know that there have been discussions about this in previous threads but I have to vent a bit and see whether anybody thinks the speed limit recognition system on the ZS is in any way acceptable. Make no mistake, I love the car but the system in my new ZS EV is, in my opinion, horribly flawed.

Firstly the national speed limit is set at 60mph and there is no way to change it. So, unless I go into manual mode, it flashes warnings at me constantly on dual carriageways and motorways which don’t have other restrictions.

Secondly, and even better, if you indicate or slow down when changing lane, to overtake for example, it loses any indication of speed limit until it sees another sign. How often do you see those on open motorways or dual carriageways? The only way to maintain the displayed speed setting is apparently to change lane without indicating or slowing down. How safe is that? Of course, if you do that, the lane keep assist kicks in! So, of course, you spend the rest of your time on that road with no indication of speed. I’m not sure where it leaves you if you are using intelligent speed limit assist.

Thirdly, if you again indicate/slow down at a junction, then the speed limit indication is also reset until the next sign is detected. So, if you are entering an urban area, for example, and the car detects a 30mph sign, which will quite often be at a junction, then it will display 30mph as the speed limit but the minute you turn the speed limit indication is lost. So, being an urban zone with blanket 30mph limit you can drive around all day and will not see a speed indication again as there are seldom reminders around urban streets. Even more problematic in urban 20mph zones which include a number of streets such as we have. Similarly, if you are on a faster road leading into a roundabout where all the exits have lower speed limits, the limit will be posted at the exit to the fast road and the ZS will lose the speed limit indication the minute you take any other exit.

Now I had a similar system on the 2015 Qashqai that the ZS has replaced and it worked flawlessly with none of these issues. As an example of how useful it was a dual carriageway leading off the first exit of a roundabout near us recently changed speed limit after many years and without warning. The new limit is posted at the exit from the dual carriageway onto the roundabout. So the Qashqai picked up that sign and maintained that speed limit warning as I took the first exit where the limit had changed. I would not have realised otherwise and the ZS would not have given me any indication. In fact I was on a ZS test drive subsequently and the MG dealer with me had not realised that the limit had changed. He was grateful as there are speed cameras down there!

I would hope MG could address these issues as it just does not make sense to me. Unless, of course, anybody can tell me I’m missing something.

Vent over. Thanks for indulging me!

It also reads a 25mph sign as 20mph. I have learnt to ignore it and trust my own eyes. Even Google Maps can be out of date and display old limits which have been revised for a couple of years.

The reason why you can't change the national speed limit is because that's the national speed limit 😄

I agree with the others posts here. It just isn't reliable enough in this car for it to be a feature you can use reliably. The Chinese have someway to go with their software. They are about 5 years off the European/Japanese brands and 10 years off Tesla.

I agree with the above posts. I used it once just to try it out, but found it useless for the exact reasons you stated.

Your spending to much time looking at the dash.😂 look at the scenery much better. Half the stuff on my TC is waste of time. I only bought the Trophy because of the resale value when I trade it in for the new 500 mile battery pack when it comes out🫰🏼😂

The reason why you can't change the national speed limit is because that's the national speed limit 😄

I agree with the others posts here. It just isn't reliable enough in this car for it to be a feature you can use reliably. The Chinese have someway to go with their software. They are about 5 years off the European/Japanese brands and 10 years off Tesla.
The national speed limit on dual carriageways and motorways is 70, the car thinks it's 60, hence the flashing warning.

Totally accept the concept of national speed limit but other cars do understand that there are roads with higher speed limits whatever you want to call it and I have been used to using such a feature when it worked on those! Shame as it clearly has all the information it needs for a software mod to fix it quite easily. Anyway, you are right that I just have to accept it and turn it off. Unfortunately though I believe you have to do that every time you restart the car?

Regarding national speed limit of 60 it applies to single carriageways on open roads outside of Towns and built up areas and I must be one of the few that my car reads the signs well. With regards to the maximum speed limit of 70 mine displays the correct sign indicating that.
1688288642338.png

Regarding national speed limit of 60 it applies to single carriageways on open roads outside of Towns and built up areas and I must be one of the few that my car reads the signs well. With regards to the maximum speed limit of 70 mine displays the correct sign indicating that.
View attachment 18683
Mine also displays the correct sign, it just doesn't know what speed it represents. :)

Yes it displays the de-restriction sign OK but, as Gadget Geek says, flashes constantly if I go over 60, then disappears altogether if I indicate and change lane. Already decided it will be permanently off now :). Thanks for all the responses.

This is interesting sometimes I get the national speed limit sign or I get 70 sign

Absolutely agree, The ZS system is rubbish, I find that Waze is very reliable and estimate around 95% accuracy. There is also the bonus of an audible warning, if you want it, when you reach the maximum permitted speed (legal limit).

I may be wrong here (often have been!) but I think the car just reads the speed from the road signs but that means that it picks up any "random" road signs that we may disregard, such as speed restrictions for heavy vehicles etc. My son has exactly the same problem with his Tesla!!

I may be wrong here (often have been!) but I think the car just reads the speed from the road signs but that means that it picks up any "random" road signs that we may disregard, such as speed restrictions for heavy vehicles etc. My son has exactly the same problem with his Tesla!!
Our ZS did warn us of a school before the signs appeared at the roadside, so it could also be programmed in to the map. But two days ago on the M5 (I think) there was a 50mph restriction, physical sign not matrix, and the car was flashing 50 until we can off the motorway over 30 miles later, when we came across another sign. So not sure!

actually all car manufacturers are using similar AI engine (object recognition tool) to recognise speed sign, most of the problems come with ZS, I trust they are very much related to cost cutting of SAIC in manufacturing the car to make it as price competitive as possible.

Due to a cost cut and thus the least processing power CPU was deployed. It is not practical to feed in a higher resolution video frame (containing speed sign) into such poorer CPU, instead, the frame have to be significantly compressed to make sure the processor can be handled and response on time. Unfortunately such high compression rate will very much degrade the image quality that lead to a poor recognition result.

The same problem happened with lane keep, and even the 360 camera. The cameras themselves are very okay with no noise, and work in day and night, but unfortunately only the compressed video stream can be fed in the infotainment system that adversely affect user experience.

I get what you are saying about the cameras (particularly with respect to the backup camera), but I think the MG even struggle with the data coming from the radar system (which presumably is used in the emergency braking and cruise functions).

Camera resolution would help, but I'm not convinced with MG's grasp on software development, that the cams would be thing that magically transforms these systems. There's too much other wonky stuff going on to say otherwise...

I get what you are saying about the cameras (particularly with respect to the backup camera), but I think the MG even struggle with the data coming from the radar system (which presumably is used in the emergency braking and cruise functions).

Camera resolution would help, but I'm not convinced with MG's grasp on software development, that the cams would be thing that magically transforms these systems. There's too much other wonky stuff going on to say otherwise...
As far as I know radar can output analog signal to direct control the brake system rather than data to car computer than brake control, the former can be implemented in more real time manner to secure emergency case, or ACC. So from radar perspective there should be no compromise

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom