Steering column bearing

May I ask was this done under warranty? My uj has failed too, dealership said warranty would cover if it was manufacturing fault, not wear and tear. I do not think it is wear and tear it has just failed. Thanks
How old is the car and how many miles has it covered, before the UJ failed ?.

Well - You definitely expect any major component ( including the steering ) to last much longer than that TBH.
Remembering that the UJ must have displayed sign of wear before it’s total failure.
I agree, the strange thing is, I only found 2 roller bearings in the footwell nothing else and nothing behind the carpet.

I agree, the strange thing is, I only found 2 roller bearings in the footwell nothing else and nothing behind the carpet.
When it starts shedding it's needle roller bearings, it is well under way to a total failure.
with continued use, it will shed more more needle roller bearings and then the bearing cup will likely shatter.
Prior to this, the steering will have started too have a "vague" feeling to it.
Usually the driver will complain that they appear to self correcting the steering wheel and more often, in order to keep the car from wandering on a straight open road.
To the best of my knowledge MG have not displayed any evidence of investigating how or why these components are prematurely failing.
Of course given the number of warranty claims, they know perfectly that the problem is real aright.
Replacing the failed part is the corrective action, but it is with an identical replacement part of course ?.
So, I see this as a repair and not a permanent fix TBH.

Posso chiederti se è stato fatto in garanzia? anche il mio uj ha fallito, il concessionario ha detto che la garanzia avrebbe coperto se si trattava di un difetto di fabbricazione, non di usura. Non penso che sia usurato, ha appena fallito. Grazie
Sorry, I read now. Mine was done under warranty.

When it starts shedding it's needle roller bearings, it is well under way to a total failure.
with continued use, it will shed more more needle roller bearings and then the bearing cup will likely shatter.
Prior to this, the steering will have started too have a "vague" feeling to it.
Usually the driver will complain that they appear to self correcting the steering wheel and more often, in order to keep the car from wandering on a straight open road.
To the best of my knowledge MG have not displayed any evidence of investigating how or why these components are prematurely failing.
Of course given the number of warranty claims, they know perfectly that the problem is real aright.
Replacing the failed part is the corrective action, but it is with an identical replacement part of course ?.
So, I see this as a repair and not a permanent fix TBH.
Hi, finally got it done under warranty, they also said my brake pads were 90% left on the front, 70% left on the rear and the discs were starting to corrode. The car has been stood 2 months.So I expect them to be rusty. They quoted £882 to replace. But they are absolutely fine. Very pricey for an MG.

Hi, finally got it done under warranty, they also said my brake pads were 90% left on the front, 70% left on the rear and the discs were starting to corrode. The car has been stood 2 months.So I expect them to be rusty. They quoted £882 to replace. But they are absolutely fine. Very pricey for an MG.
Did they replace the lower steering column assembly that has the two UJ's fitted or the whole steering column assembly, upper and lower as well ?.
I remember checking a few months ago, there is no third party replacement disc available YET for the ZS EV.
Therefore the dealer is able to charge the full OEM price on the replacement discs for now !.
A so called "Free Health Check" is a great opportunity to look for work which can be charged back directly to the customer for increased revenue !.

Did they replace the lower steering column assembly that has the two UJ's fitted or the whole steering column assembly, upper and lower as well ?.
I remember checking a few months ago, there is no third party replacement disc available YET for the ZS EV.
Therefore the dealer is able to charge the full OEM price on the replacement discs for now !.
A so called "Free Health Check" is a great opportunity to look for work which can be charged back directly to the customer for increased revenue !.
Yes the lower steering column. I never looked for parts for the brakes myself as I have sold the MG. Only reason was I needed more range.Took 6 weeks to sell seems no one wants them at the moment.

Yes the lower steering column. I never looked for parts for the brakes myself as I have sold the MG. Only reason was I needed more range.Took 6 weeks to sell seems no one wants them at the moment.
It’s strange when you consider that only 6 months ago, your car would have probably sold in 6 days, rather than 6 weeks !.
The bubble had to burst at some time.
With a lot of help from large price reduction from Tesla earlier in the year.
The EV market started to become nervous at this point and it set off a chain reaction of EV second hand prices being devalued to where we find ourselves right now.
Really not a great time to be selling an EV at the moment.
I think the price will recover slightly, but not to the silly prices they reached only a few months ago.

May I ask was this done under warranty? My uj has failed too, dealership said warranty would cover if it was manufacturing fault, not wear and tear. I do not think it is wear and tear it has just failed. Thanks
Mine was done under warranty yes, I think they know it’s a common issue. It’s going back in for clicking higher up the column in a couple weeks though 🤣

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom