Steps you take to charge the mg zs ev

AJD10

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me their step by step procedure how they charge Thier vehicle.
Is the car locked before the insert the plug.
I have trie various ways and the light still stays a solid blue. Thanks

7 KWh chargers.
Plug in the cable at the charging unit and then in to the car, car for me should be unlocked so that the front charging cover can be released and raised. Plug in and subject to the BMS update that you have it will either start charging or press the lock button and the charging will commence.

Rapid charging you will need to follow the onscreen instructions.
Regards

7 KWh chargers.
Plug in the cable at the charging unit and then in to the car, car for me should be unlocked so that the front charging cover can be released and raised. Plug in and subject to the BMS update that you have it will either start charging or press the lock button and the charging will commence.

Rapid charging you will need to follow the onscreen instructions.
Regards
Thanks for the reply, I have tried always including what you have told me, still have same issues. Still getting a solid blue light with car plugged in or not. Rolec car charger seems to be cheap and poor unit on the market.
It don't help when the installer won't answer my messages.

If it's a tethered home charger, unlock the car and open (and close) a door to prevent the car auto re-locking after 30 seconds.
Plug the cable into the car (the light should probably flash at that stage) then lock the car and the light should go solid green.
Same for on the go chargers with your type 2 cable, the car manual says plug into the charger first then the car but I found it works ok on Pod Points either way round.
Main thing is to open a door so the car doesn't auto re-lock otherwise the cable wont go in fully.
If you have tried all of the above then I can only think that maybe your plug is not fully inserted, mine gets a bit sticky sometimes and I have to wiggle it a bit, especially if you've left the CCS (lower half) of the rubber covers on and it is slightly dislodged.

If it's a tethered home charger, unlock the car and open (and close) a door to prevent the car auto re-locking after 30 seconds.
Plug the cable into the car (the light should probably flash at that stage) then lock the car and the light should go solid green.
Same for on the go chargers with your type 2 cable, the car manual says plug into the charger first then the car but I found it works ok on Pod Points either way round.
Main thing is to open a door so the car doesn't auto re-lock otherwise the cable wont go in fully.
If you have tried all of the above then I can only think that maybe your plug is not fully inserted, mine gets a bit sticky sometimes and I have to wiggle it a bit, especially if you've left the CCS (lower half) of the rubber covers on and it is slightly dislodged.
Thanks for the suggestion still no joy, the odd occasion I can hear the locking noise on the plug the light then goes green only go to blue after 5 seconds. Looks a trip to the dealership as I'm not getting any joy from the installer, he's read my message yet can be decent to reply. Wish I know the company name.

Have you tried it on another AC charger like perhaps a Pod-Point post at Tesco or something?

If it charges fine on that then you’ll know your home charger is broken rather than the car.

How about the granny charger?

Thanks for the suggestion still no joy, the odd occasion I can hear the locking noise on the plug the light then goes green only go to blue after 5 seconds. Looks a trip to the dealership as I'm not getting any joy from the installer, he's read my message yet can be decent to reply. Wish I know the company name.
The trickle charger works fine, so it seems an issue with the brand new wall charger (Rolec)

Just wondering and forgive me but trying all things; have you tried powering off the device at the circuit breaker and rebooting the devices as we all know software can sometimes need a gentle reset...worth a try.

Have you tried it on another AC charger like perhaps a Pod-Point post at Tesco or something?

If it charges fine on that then you’ll know your home charger is broken rather than the car.

How about the granny charger?
I will pay Tesco a visit tomorrow.

Have you got the plugshare app? there maybe somebody local who has a wallcharger you could try. Worth looking into I know near me there are several private homes offering their chargers

Couldn't see that you have commented on what Mark said further up.

Do you have any wifi extenders or lan over power cables devices?
They have been reported to wreck havoc on the mg vs charging

Is it an old Rolec (dumb model) or one of the new smarter Rolecs?

I have a 5 year old Rolec Wallpod (dumb model) and have a similar problem - when I connect the cable to the car I hear the mechanical lock click on the cable and the car says “connected but not charging” - about 30 seconds later the lock releases and locks again, same result. I’ve tried resetting the charger, locking and unlocking the car all without luck.

I’m waiting on an engineer to come out and have a look.

Last edited:
I have an EO Mini Pro 2, works well so far (posted on other threads) and I'm glad we didn't go for the Rolec as so many problems have been talked about.

We do have just one little problem "sometimes" with the WIFI, the Mini Pro 2 being on the garages so long way from the Router and can be a poor signal at times, seems to depend on the atmospherics/weather? Now trying an extender, but as Mark & Noraf142 pointed out they too can be another problem.

I posted a few weeks back that I've seen armoured power cable that includes a Ethernet cable suitable for EV chargers. I could change the cable at some point, but seriously! do I need to with Solar during the day, Octopus Go as supplier and now retired, its no problem plugging in at 12:30. as always up late. And the car stops charging when full.

Seen this on Youtube back in October 2020. from Artisan Electrics. Worth a look.

Why I Dont Fit Rolec Electric Vehicle Chargers Any More​

Artisan Electrics
39.2K subscribers

Why I Dont Fit Rolec Electric Vehicle Chargers Any More Join me as I revisit my first ever Electric Vehicle Charging Installation from June 2018 and I explain why I refuse to fit Rolec EV Chargers now.

I have an EO Mini Pro 2, works well so far (posted on other threads) and I'm glad we didn't go for the Rolec as so many problems have been talked about.

We do have just one little problem "sometimes" with the WIFI, the Mini Pro 2 being on the garages so long way from the Router and can be a poor signal at times, seems to depend on the atmospherics/weather? Now trying an extender, but as Mark & Noraf142 pointed out they too can be another problem.

I posted a few weeks back that I've seen armoured power cable that includes a Ethernet cable suitable for EV chargers. I could change the cable at some point, but seriously! do I need to with Solar during the day, Octopus Go as supplier and now retired, its no problem plugging in at 12:30. as always up late. And the car stops charging when full.

Seen this on Youtube back in October 2020. from Artisan Electrics. Worth a look.

Artisan Electrics
39.2K subscribers

Why I Dont Fit Rolec Electric Vehicle Chargers Any More Join me as I revisit my first ever Electric Vehicle Charging Installation from June 2018 and I explain why I refuse to fit Rolec EV Chargers now.

These were the old Rolec units, non smart device, the new ones which I have had installed are fine; well mine is anyway and works perfectly.

Artisan Electrics
39.2K subscribers

Don't change the cable to one with ethernet included as I am sure that the EO Mini Pro is wifi only. If it is not, just run a ethernet cable along the (nearly) same route.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom