• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Strange whirring and ticking noises from underneath..?!

Laurence Brown

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Anyone else heard these? I would hear this once in a while, noticeable at slower speeds with less road noise. I took a trip down A and B roads to Bristol yesterday and heard it every 2 or 3 minutes - which is disconcerting. No apparent reason for it, as it's not dependent on anything I am doing, with HVAC on or off, and no matter which mode or KERS is selected.
It sounds like an electrical whirring (same as when you select Drive) followed by two quite loud knocks, or ticking sounds. Like a stone is flicked up by a tyre and hits the underside of the car, but it's not.
Exactly the same noise each time, repeated.

Car is working great BTW. 117 miles, cost £1.31 for the Bristol run, 26kw/h.

Of course I will need to get it to the dealer as it is coming more often, but I wondered it's just me, or anyone else had heard this?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Car display.jpg
    Car display.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 183
What kind of speeds are we talking about here?
Could be any speed Jim, noticeable more when gently cruising, as the road noise at higher speeds means you can just about hear the two clicks (ticking sounds). I charged overnight and left it running next day to balance the batteries - seemed to be much reduced. Noticed it again today, increased regularity more as the charge dropped. Bizarre.

I assume you've checked for stones (or other foreign objects) wedged in the tyre treads ?

I assume you've checked for stones (or other foreign objects) wedged in the tyre treads ?
Hiya, Yes, I flick them out regularly. These tyres certainly pick them up. It's something central and underneath, electrical noise - must be a balancing system. The garage didn't recognise my description. Car drives great.

The ticking is probably just the Diesel Particulate Filter cooling down after doing a regen, my previous car did this sometimes :) :)

Just as a quick update - the noise went away - so it's not bothering us now.
Very strange - as we did nothing. It's gone from intensely irritating to nothing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom