Stunned !

I think it's worth noting the media at large putting down EVs will have put many off buying a 2nd hand vehicle for fear of needing to replace a battery etc. Obviously those that do their research and are interested in making the switch will be fine, sadly the public at large are still not convinced.

I calculated that at 5 years old, if my car returns £6k I've broken even, this is becoming increasingly evident as prices of fuel go up. What it wont be though is a big chunk of deposit on the replacement that inevitably costs £10k+ more than my 5LR did.

The 2nd hand market has been trounced by the cost of inflation and a big reduction in discretionary spending. From a surplus of buyers queuing for cars short of chips we have gone to too many cars. Of course we might just be at that awkward spot where promised new battery types are about to be installed in new cars and the price of new ones brought down. If that is the case then EVs will become very popular and they won't be sitting on forecourts again. The fog of expensive electricity will be lifted in either case to make people buy them. As I said in my previous post, electricity prices are about to fall rapidly. The price paid by the public charging companies has been cited as 50p a kWh and I am sure that is about right. When they pay 20p that should give a 36p saving at the charger where 20% VAT is applied. Instead of 75p a kWh the more reasonable 39p or less should be normal which is then about 10p a mile which compares with 15p to 25p a mile on diesel or petrol.

I don't think an estate is that much of a selling point these days. I only know one person with an estate (Seat Leon) and the boot seems bigger tha the 5.
Don't know about the face lift but when I tried to help my Mum move it was useless for furniture as the back seats don't lay flat. It had a reasonable capacity but not for large single items.
NOTE it is easy to completely remove the seat 2 plastic pegs at front- pull seat up locally at each peg, a central guide at rear locates the seat.
A little fiddly removing and fitting/ re- aligning the seat belts.
After a couple of god's is simple- nice flat load space, recessing where seat was.

We started buying estate cars when we had young children. With a couple of years without we went to a Passat estate which my wife drove primarily. She then complained it was too long, and certainly some of the London Boroughs had you because the parking spaces weren't long enough and you could get parking tickets for overhanging parking spaces. Of course there is little difference between a hatchback and an estate, about 30cm in length! The MG5 is 10cm shorter than the Passat!

I seem to recall thatpre covid the second hand price of ZS electrics was quite severe (in line with expectations for a low cost brand like MG?) When I purchase my MG5 in May 21 I expected to see a a similar drop in values .
It did not happen until recently!
Its a catch up on normal/expected rates of depreciation plus the influence of press reports and reality check on the issues with EVs.
I am deligthed with my MG5 and intend to run it into the ground (as planned when purchased)
One of the big problems with EVs is the total lack of progress regarding charging infrastructure
(Well done HM gov.) THIS AFFECTS ALL EVs not just MG
EV cars work perfectly for me as I am very fortunate and can charge from home and use mainly power from solar panels or cheap rate power, so annual cost per mile is less than 2p per mile which sort of helps on the deperciation.
If you cant`t charge an EV at home or maybe work my advice is think very hard before buying one
It will be at least 10 years before there is a decent charging structure in the UK assuming the national grid can get its act sorted out. If not we will have to buy bikes and candles!!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom