Sudden acceleration

les

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone experienced the car accelerating fast without warning?
I’ve just tried to park, took my foot off the accelerator and the car shot forward. Just checked and it has hit the parking bollard, denting the front bumper a little.
Did the ACC kick in?
Felt it did this earlier too.
Another scary experience. I’m shaking.

I was chatting with a fellow mg4 owner that I parked next to a few days ago.

He was in his second mg4. The first was a black mg4 written off when it accelerated from a stop when manoeuvring at a dealer.

Apparently it accelerated out of control hitting multiple objects after completing a reversing manoeuvre.

That’s a bit of a worry! Mine happened in a car park and luckily didn’t hit another vehicle or person. No way to prove what happened though

That’s a bit of a worry! Mine happened in a car park and luckily didn’t hit another vehicle or person. No way to prove what happened though
Apparently it happened in the dealership car park and was a total write-off.

Insurance covered the cost of a like for like (brand new) replacement albeit a different colour.

It may not be relevant but it was a Trophy spec.

I'm not saying there wasn't a fault with the car but when this happens with automatics it's often because the driver's foot is on both pedals at once and the more they brake the more the accelerator gets pressed down.

I’ve just tried to park, took my foot off the accelerator and the car shot forward. Just checked and it has hit the parking bollard, denting the front bumper a little.
Did the ACC kick in?
No. What I have found is that the rear brakes will catch sometimes while parking, especially on an incline, so when they release it can jump a little initially. But nothing I'd describe as sudden acceleration. Straight to dealership with something like that.

No. What I have found is that the rear brakes will catch sometimes while parking, especially on an incline, so when they release it can jump a little initially. But nothing I'd describe as sudden acceleration. Straight to dealership with something like that.
I've found that when I've parked on an incline if I keep my foot on the brake, put it into D and then release the handbrake before releasing the foot-brake it doesn't do the little jump.

Check the floormat hasn't come off it's hold down clips and slipped forward. One of my clips had come undone.

I was chatting with a fellow mg4 owner that I parked next to a few days ago.

He was in his second mg4. The first was a black mg4 written off when it accelerated from a stop when manoeuvring at a dealer.

Apparently it accelerated out of control hitting multiple objects after completing a reversing manoeuvre.

Why on earth would he take another one..?
I don’t understand this ‘patience and understanding’ with cars. 🤷‍♂️
Would they afford the same to a toaster that bursts into flames?
“You know what… I’ll take another one”
People are mad.

Apparently it happened in the dealership car park and was a total write-off.

Insurance covered the cost of a like for like (brand new) replacement albeit a different colour.

It may not be relevant but it was a Trophy spec.
Another couple of people on FB say it happened to them
I’ve reported to DVSA

I doubt they’d find anything. Unless the onboard computer would show something 🤷‍♀️
It will be like the intermittent working of the keyless locking and the having to bind the phone twice or thrice a week. You can be guaranteed the day you take it to the dealership all would work perfectly.

Check the floormat hasn't come off it's hold down clips and slipped forward. One of my clips had come undone.
Definitely not

We had a thread about (or mentioning) a Tesla "wild ride" that killed at least one person in its path. Much of it was caught on CCTVs along the road. The owner (who survived) said that he was frantically pressing the brake but the car just went faster and faster. Tesla said that the brake was not engaged at any point on the run. It was said that the car's brake lights weren't on, although I personally couldn't tell from the CCTV shown. Tesla apparently concluded that the driver had been pressing the accelerator in the mistaken belief he was pressing the brake.

There have been several of these incidents, all involving EVs, and the consensus from the manufacturers seems to be "driver error". I am not so sure. I have never heard of a similar incident with an ICE car, although an ICE car with a DSG is driven in an almost identical manner to an EV and is surely subject to the same error. Why has nobody ever made this error when driving a DSG?

I don't claim to know what is really going on, but I have a large dollop of scepticism regarding the "driver error" explanation. I'd be very wary of a car (I mean an individual car, not a make or model) that had done this once.

I doubt they’d find anything. Unless the onboard computer would show something 🤷‍♀️
It will be like the intermittent working of the keyless locking and the having to bind the phone twice or thrice a week. You can be guaranteed the day you take it to the dealership all would work perfectly.
They may not be able to find it.

But you cannot keep a car that accelerates of its own volition. It'll kill someone.

We had a thread about (or mentioning) a Tesla "wild ride" that killed at least one person in its path. Much of it was caught on CCTVs along the road. The owner (who survived) said that he was frantically pressing the brake but the car just went faster and faster. Tesla said that the brake was not engaged at any point on the run. It was said that the car's brake lights weren't on, although I personally couldn't tell from the CCTV shown. Tesla apparently concluded that the driver had been pressing the accelerator in the mistaken belief he was pressing the brake.

There have been several of these incidents, all involving EVs, and the consensus from the manufacturers seems to be "driver error". I am not so sure. I have never heard of a similar incident with an ICE car, although an ICE car with a DSG is driven in an almost identical manner to an EV and is surely subject to the same error. Why has nobody ever made this error when driving a DSG?

I don't claim to know what is really going on, but I have a large dollop of scepticism regarding the "driver error" explanation. I'd be very wary of a car (I mean an individual car, not a make or model) that had done this once.

IIRC Tesla didn’t ‘conclude’ anything, they were able to prove it via telemetry.
I’m sure there were all sorts of stuff produced showing a timeline and steering input, throttle input, brake pedal pressure etc.
Maybe MG could theoretically do the same, but they’re not going to bother where there were no fatalities and nothing reputation damaging to disprove, sadly

Did the ACC kick in?
Different car, but I've noticed one thing with my MG5, under KERS 3 breaking if one of the drive wheels goes over a manhole cover it can cause the car to launch forward with rapid acceleration so i try to avoid manhole covers while slowing down.

IIRC Tesla didn’t ‘conclude’ anything, they were able to prove it via telemetry.
I’m sure there were all sorts of stuff produced showing a timeline and steering input, throttle input, brake pedal pressure etc.
Maybe MG could theoretically do the same, but they’re not going to bother where there were no fatalities and nothing reputation damaging to disprove, sadly

I'm still curious why this apparently never happens to ICE cars.

I'm still curious why this apparently never happens to ICE cars.

It does, kind of, there are cases of auto ICE cars ‘running away’ on cruise etc
But given a lot of ICE cars are manual, any ‘running away’ can be nullified by simply putting the clutch down.

Different car, but I've noticed one thing with my MG5, under KERS 3 breaking if one of the drive wheels goes over a manhole cover it can cause the car to launch forward with rapid acceleration so i tr
to avoid manhole covers while slowing down.

That’s not acceleration, that’s just the braking being interrupted by a tyre slipping.
It’s not acceleration as such.

I’ve found myself getting too used to the auto hold feature and having a rude awakening when reversing, then pressing firmly on the brake and suddenly moving backwards when I take my foot off the break… I wouldn’t call it rapid acceleration, but it’s enough to make me clench when there’s something close behind…

Need to remember that auto hold doesn’t work in reverse…

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back