Sudden battery loss on 2022 SR

I got some informations from the ZS EV app
The connection is not stable at all, but I could see motor temps, coolant temp, and the SOC.
When the car shows 19%, the app show 24,5%, so I there is a 5% difference between the app and the car
I will charge it tonight

Last edited:
I had an e-208 before so I know electric cars pretty well
Hi

As an aside..... I have an e208 at the moment, great little car to drive, looks fantastic but efficiency and range aren't the best. I've ordered a ZS Trophy LR and wondering how you rate the ZS over the Pug? Be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Hi

As an aside..... I have an e208 at the moment, great little car to drive, looks fantastic but efficiency and range aren't the best. I've ordered a ZS Trophy LR and wondering how you rate the ZS over the Pug? Be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers
Hi !
I had too much issues with the car, it was one of the many reasons I bought a ZS EV.

The 208 had a really narrow boot.
When I had the charger on the boot, I could only fit 3 groceries bags.

Rear passengers had literally no space, they were cramped behind the front seats

The range was not good at all.
My ZS EV consumes less than the e-208, but it’s a SUV vs a small city car! Absolute nonsense IMO…

The ZS is much smoother to drive than the 208
It brakes more gently and accelerates faster, but without aggressiveness, hope it’s clear
The regen is much stronger, and, finally, it’s using brakes light. The 208 didn’t use the brakes light, even in B mode

If something else pops in my mind, I’ll let you know

Hi !
I had too much issues with the car, it was one of the many reasons I bought a ZS EV.

The 208 had a really narrow boot.
When I had the charger on the boot, I could only fit 3 groceries bags.

Rear passengers had literally no space, they were cramped behind the front seats

The range was not good at all.
My ZS EV consumes less than the e-208, but it’s a SUV vs a small city car! Absolute nonsense IMO…

The ZS is much smoother to drive than the 208
It brakes more gently and accelerates faster, but without aggressiveness, hope it’s clear
The regen is much stronger, and, finally, it’s using brakes light. The 208 didn’t use the brakes light, even in B mode

If something else pops in my mind, I’ll let you know
Thanks, agree with all that. I do find the small steering wheel gives a nippy/sporty feel. I keep the charger cable behind the drivers seat as there are only the 2 of us in the household. I like the interior trim and the i-cockpit too. The Peugeot app has been a nightmare to get working. It took 18 months to get it working properly, not just for me but for many others too. But for me the range is the killer, we want to use the ZS for holidays in UK and in mainland Europe, the Pug doesn't cut it.

Based on those numbers your range should be 85km, unusually low. Short trips with heating on would shorten the range but nothing like that. Talk to your local MG service.

Based on those numbers your range should be 85km, unusually low. Short trips with heating on would shorten the range but nothing like that. Talk to your local MG service.
No, my commute consumes 5 to 6%, only one time it consumed 14% of battery, and I still don’t know why
I drove for the moment 230kms and I still have 8% battery left

Last edited:
So I should have charged my car overnight, but today I learned that you need to start the charge from the screen of the car, it doesn’t start automatically when you plug the charger in…

I learned this this morning, with still my 14% of battery left…

So I should have charged my car overnight, but today I learned that you need to start the charge from the screen of the car, it doesn’t start automatically when you plug the charger in…

I learned this this morning, with still my 14% of battery left…
Surely you can set a start and finish time to charge in the App ?.
Otherwise, how would take advantage of the cheaper rate of off peak electric ?.

Yes makes sense… My 208 started charging immediately when the car was plugged in, but it’s not the case on this car…
I learned my lesson

Thanks for your replies!
I let the car open in my garage, I think that’s the issue here.
I completely read the owner’s manual, it’s written that the car needs to be locked to charge

Is it the same for you ?
The car needs to be locked to charge ?

Thanks for your replies!
I let the car open in my garage, I think that’s the issue here.
I completely read the owner’s manual, it’s written that the car needs to be locked to charge

Is it the same for you ?
The car needs to be locked to charge ?
The original ZS EV needed to be locked to charge on AC, but this was changed in Comfort Update 2, and it now no longer needs to be locked to be charged, hope they haven't reverted this back for the new ZS EV!

Going back to your AIrCon statements, it won’t matter what speed your fan runs at. The AC affects HVAC energy in such a minor way it is barely perceptible in comparison with the motors. The fans are run off the 12V it is apparent from my tests. The HVAC powers the AC compressor and is either ON-High or ON-Low or OFF. It doesn’t matter what temperature you have set. It balances heat and cold through a vari-valve. But the AC unit does the same job regardless of how hard you want/need it to run.

In addition to environmental conditions, battery condition and modes, the other thing that has a major impact on energy usage is driving style. Some days, always in Eco of course, I will pull away from junctions gently. Other times I will need to floor it a little. That has an effect. Some days I will be stuck in slow moving traffic and have to keep stoping and starting or, worse still, travel at a continuous slow speed. This also has a major impact on usage. My route to somewhere might be down hill, and back home will be up hill.

However, the sudden drop you saw is probably something different altogether. I would continue to record and monitor. I’ve found it useful to keep a chart. There’s a heap of variables we are not used to in the transition from ICE to EV. Getting our heads around them is half of the opening battle. You may find that it settles down. It may well be that where it was sat for a long period at 100% before use and then saw a large amount of sporadic use that it is not yet conditioned to cope. HV battery systems are a bit weird and not as simple as a double-A cell that charges or discharges in anything resembling linear or logarithmic (unless you are doing lots of long distance constant speed journeys). It’s more like a giant rainbow fun slide we never get to work out. I hope it works out for you.

Going back to your AIrCon statements, it won’t matter what speed your fan runs at. The AC affects HVAC energy in such a minor way it is barely perceptible in comparison with the motors. The fans are run off the 12V it is apparent from my tests. The HVAC powers the AC compressor and is either ON-High or ON-Low or OFF. It doesn’t matter what temperature you have set. It balances heat and cold through a vari-valve. But the AC unit does the same job regardless of how hard you want/need it to run.

In addition to environmental conditions, battery condition and modes, the other thing that has a major impact on energy usage is driving style. Some days, always in Eco of course, I will pull away from junctions gently. Other times I will need to floor it a little. That has an effect. Some days I will be stuck in slow moving traffic and have to keep stoping and starting or, worse still, travel at a continuous slow speed. This also has a major impact on usage. My route to somewhere might be down hill, and back home will be up hill.

However, the sudden drop you saw is probably something different altogether. I would continue to record and monitor. I’ve found it useful to keep a chart. There’s a heap of variables we are not used to in the transition from ICE to EV. Getting our heads around them is half of the opening battle. You may find that it settles down. It may well be that where it was sat for a long period at 100% before use and then saw a large amount of sporadic use that it is not yet conditioned to cope. HV battery systems are a bit weird and not as simple as a double-A cell that charges or discharges in anything resembling linear or logarithmic (unless you are doing lots of long distance constant speed journeys). It’s more like a giant rainbow fun slide we never get to work out. I hope it works out for you.
Thanks for this detailed reply!
I drove mostly in eco mode, because I don’t need a lot of power or a lot of heat unless it’s really cold outside because I drive with my jacket

I just plugged the car in with 2%, I’ll see how much KW the wallbox delivered, then I’ll deduct 10 to 12% of charging loss on AC

We’ll see tomorrow!

As I said before, I plugged the car in, the charge started immediately
I plugged it with 2% left

I looked into the charging parameters, and I had a « charging calendar set » (from the dealer I guess, they delivered it to me with 100%, maybe they needed a exhumed charging session)
That’s why it didn’t charged yesterday night

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom