Suspension too soft and bouncy?

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So when sat in the back I do feel a little sick and my wife says the same, the MG5 is a little too soft and bouncy for our liking.

Has anyone changes their suspension before? How much does it cost? Is it suspension, shock absorbers or whatever you call them?

Basically I want a harder ride, not so soft.

Thanks

I love the fact it is not crashing over the appalling roads in the south and that is a big improvement over the Focus I had before. I have upgraded suspension before and it usually involves springs and shocks as a minimum plus bushes if you really want to ruin the ride :) It is a young mans game and now I wouldn’t bother to be honest

It is not as soft as an 80’s Renault of which I had a number where the door handles would almost touch the ground if you cornered really hard so I am happy with mine to be fair.

So when sat in the back I do feel a little sick and my wife says the same, the MG5 is a little too soft and bouncy for our liking.

Has anyone changes their suspension before? How much does it cost? Is it suspension, shock absorbers or whatever you call them?

Thanks
Can be easily done but, depends on the top/bottom fittings of the shocks. Suspect that if you look at the barcode/QR code or SR number on the rear shock, you'll find plenty of alternatives on the market to swap out.

Can be easily done but, depends on the top/bottom fittings of the shocks. Suspect that if you look at the barcode/QR code or SR number on the rear shock, you'll find plenty of alternatives on the market to swap out.
I agree, if you find the rear a little to soft for your liking, then I would consider fitting upgraded shocks to the back and see how that goes.
See if somebody offers a set of adjustable shocks, that would be great.

I think it's fine as it is.
The other car gives me a hard ride if I want it!

Attachments

• othercar.jpg
    othercar.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 141

Thanks
I’m sorry to say that if you need to make considerable changes to your suspension and setup to change the ride and handling characteristics you’ve probably bought the wrong car. Tuning suspension and handling is quite a tricky game and you can end up in a hold load of trouble if it’s not done professionally. It may be worth asking your MG dealer… alternatively if you have discovered that the car does not suit your needs you could ask to return the car?

Are the tyre pressures correct ?
Have you tried different tyre pressures ?
There must be some leeway in the default 32 psi for running loaded, unloaded, high speed, low speed etc.

I’m sorry to say that if you need to make considerable changes to your suspension and setup to change the ride and handling characteristics you’ve probably bought the wrong car. Tuning suspension and handling is quite a tricky game and you can end up in a hold load of trouble if it’s not done professionally. It may be worth asking your MG dealer… alternatively if you have discovered that the car does not suit your needs you could ask to return the car?
I think returning the car is a bit extreme. The car does what I need it to do and theres no EV around that matches price or practicality, I would just prefer it a bit less bouncy. My mate has done his suspension on multiple cars and said its not difficult to do nor expensive, just wondered if anyone else had done it to their MG5, looking online it doesn't cost that much either so might just ask a trusted local garage to have a look for me... I think I'd prefer my local garage to the MG one.

I think returning the car is a bit extreme. The car does what I need it to do and theres no EV around that matches price or practicality, I would just prefer it a bit less bouncy. My mate has done his suspension on multiple cars and said its not difficult to do nor expensive, just wondered if anyone else had done it to their MG5, looking online it doesn't cost that much either so might just ask a trusted local garage to have a look for me... I think I'd prefer my local garage to the MG one.
Good points. i hope that you get it sorted.

Try a bit of weight in the back to see if it help stabilise things? Not a real solution but a stop gap fix perhaps.

Yes. Some 20inch rims on run flat tyres will sort it.

If I remember correctly, I think @Mike on here upgraded his ZS suspension and made a video about it. Might be worth a look in case it helps.
He did, seemed quite a technical thing but he was happy with it. I don’t mind the ride, but I don’t trust the handling. I don’t throw it round corners like I have done in other cars, but to be honest since having the car my driving style is much more relaxed and sedate 😀

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom