Suspension too soft and bouncy?

Just inflate the tyres to 36psi and it will feel a little firmer. The batteries make the car heavy so the suspension needs to be soft enough to handle the bumps. I think it's a good compromise between comfort and handling. The position of the batteries makes it behave reasonably well in the corners.

I agree that it's definitely soft. The roads where I am are beyond awful, so much of the time I appreciate the low damping of the stock dampers. The ride height is also very high, but I think they do this for less risk of the battery pack contacting large bumps, curbs, etc.

I would definitely consider changing things as the car ages though. I personally LOVE throwing a car around and am not nearly old enough yet to be bored with it. I've only ever had Honda Integras and a Euro Accord before save for the Ford Ranger I have here, which handles like... well, a truck. So I do miss tight handling sometimes.

Has anyone changed tires (tyres? :p) yet? I think that would make a massive difference in handling as the Ecopia tires are no-compromise, efficiency-above-all rubber that I find very slippery.

Another thing is I think the toe-in settings are very very shallow, ie. barely toed at all. Again, I'm sure for efficiency, but this can make the car feel less sure on the road, especially at higher speeds and will slow the turn-in response considerably. Bumping the toe in half a degree is pretty easy to do and something I might also consider.

I drive a ZS EV but had the privilege of test driving MG5. From the driver's seat, the ride appeared settled enough to take on the corners at speed.
The rear passenger bench was set at a higher position than normal. On cornering our body's inertia causes side ways movement relative to the car body. This is increased if the distance between our body's and the car's center of gravity is more. We feel the car is throwing us around.
To test the theory you could take the corner at speed on highest, lowest driver's seat settings.
If true, then this could be a property of the car and it might be better to go easy when chauffeuring around.

He did, seemed quite a technical thing but he was happy with it. I don’t mind the ride, but I don’t trust the handling. I don’t throw it round corners like I have done in other cars, but to be honest since having the car my driving style is much more relaxed and sedate 😀
I would like to get bigger wider wheels also because I'm sure you've experienced if you floor it it wobbles a bit in the steering. Come winter ill be taking it easy. New wheels and tyres cost a lot more though :-(

I love a softer ride.....when I (do) occasionally use our Mitsubishi PHEV.....I reminded how firm it is and how I dislike the ride compared to the MG.

He did, seemed quite a technical thing but he was happy with it. I don’t mind the ride, but I don’t trust the handling. I don’t throw it round corners like I have done in other cars, but to be honest since having the car my driving style is much more relaxed and sedate 😀
Agree, my old Porsche used to try to kill me every time we had any drizzle so, I prefer a relaxed drive that provides me the opportunity of arriving home rather than backwards in a hedge.

Agree, my old Porsche used to try to kill me every time we had any drizzle so, I prefer a relaxed drive that provides me the opportunity of arriving home rather than backwards in a hedge.
Was it a tail-happy 911 by any chance? Widowmaker…

I love it, but then I've been a Citroen offcianado for years, if you cut me in half, I have "Hydropneumatic" written through the middle :ROFLMAO:. Out of interest, (& I don't know, they may be sealed units), could you have the rear shocks rebuilt to change the compression damping (smaller ports?) or put heavier oil in them? Don't press me on this - I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about....

My first trip in my W reg Boxster S on a wet roundabout ended up with the front wheels on the roundabout 🤪

I would like to get bigger wider wheels also because I'm sure you've experienced if you floor it it wobbles a bit in the steering. Come winter ill be taking it easy. New wheels and tyres cost a lot more though :-(
Wobbles? Mine is like grabbing a feral cat when pulling away (in non sedate mode) from lights in the wet 😂

Remind me of walking my retied Greyhound this morning....when she saw a squirrel...she nearly pulled the lead out of my hand..and me over!

It would affect both.
If it's not seen as a performance enhancement, you may be lucky to find the insurance company just takes note but it has to be reported regardless.
For warranty, MG would almost certainly walk away from any claim that was suspension related if it were modified.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom