Suzie

Hi could you tell me what the green arrow vaultage in the dashboard is telling me it’s usually at 14 but does change

Hi, it is the charge on the 12v battery. If you are press the on button without your foot on the brake it will show about 12v but once in ready mode it is charging from the HV battery so shows around 14v.

Hi, it is the charge on the 12v battery. If you are press the on button without your foot on the brake it will show about 12v but once in ready mode it is charging from the HV battery so shows around 14v.
Ok Thankyou for that and your help

Hi - And welcome to the forum !.
“Top Tip” - If you are sitting parked up, waiting for somebody and you have equipment running like the radio etc.
Have the car in the fully booted READY mode, because in this mode, the HV pack is charging the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
If you running the 12 volt items in the STANDBY mode ( foot off the foot brake when you push the start button ) then you run the risk of discharging the 12 volt battery to low, to boot up the car into READY mode.
Hope that makes sense ???.
Basically, if you intend to sit waiting in the car, just have it in the READY state !.
Your 12 volt battery gauge will give you the details.

“Top Tip” - If you are sitting parked up, waiting for somebody and you have equipment running like the radio etc.
Have the car in the fully booted READY mode, because in this mode, the HV pack is charging the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
If you running the 12 volt items in the STANDBY mode ( foot off the foot brake when you push the start button ) then you run the risk of discharging the 12 volt battery to low, to boot up the car into READY mode.
Basically, if you intend to sit waiting in the car, just have it in the READY state !.
Thankyou that was very helpful, lots of things to learn am getting there

How long does it take flatten the 12v battery with the heater and radio on whilst waiting for SWMBO Does the shopping? Surely it must last 2-3 hrs? What amp batteries are supplied from new?

The heater will only work in ready mode as it uses the HV battery.
I think the radio will turn off after a while so probably turn the radio back on and go into ready mode.

How long does it take flatten the 12v battery with the heater and radio on whilst waiting for SWMBO Does the shopping? Surely it must last 2-3 hrs? What amp batteries are supplied from new?
Just to clarify, if you are waiting for your wife to complete the shopping and you are sitting in the car with BOTH the heater / radio and other 12 volt items running, you ideally need to have the car in READY mode.
If you have all of these items running, with the car in STANDBY mode, you do run the risk of depleting the 12 volt battery down to a level that prevents the car from booting up.
Using it in STANDBY mode for 2 - 3 hours and you maybe pushing your luck a little bit to far in my opinion.
Not worth the risk, unless you are carrying a small jumper pack as a back up plan of course.
You can monitor your 12 volt battery status on the Gen 1 version on the analog gauge, on the left hand side of the dash board.
The centre mark ( at the six o'clock position ) is roughly around 12 volts if I remember correctly.
When your needle is falling below this marker, you are under the 12 volt mark I believe.
The lower you go, the less chance you have of getting the car to boot up, when required.
In STANDBY mode you will get a yellow HV warning that the traction battery is not connected.
Non of this is indeed relevant if you just leave the car in READY mode of course.
As we know that in READY mode the HV battery IS providing a charge to the 12 volt battery.
If you are charging at a A/C post, it will be charging the 12 volt at the same time.
Long story short - Just leave it in READY mode.
As @Jomarkh correctly points out, if you are in STANDBY mode, the radio will close down after about 10 minutes anyway !.
Then you need to boot up the car anyway.
This is done to help avoid depleting the 12 volt battery.

You can monitor your 12 volt battery status on the Gen 1 version on the analog gauge, on the left hand side of the dash board.
The centre mark ( at the six o'clock position ) is roughly around 12 volts if I remember correctly.
When your needle is falling below this marker, you are under the 12 volt mark I believe.
The lower you go, the less chance you have of getting the car to boot up, when required.
Just for clarity, this is the MG5 forum and the info above is not correct. The 12v indication is on the right hand side and is digital, no needle, as shown below:

Screenshot_20220406-071556-148.png

Just for clarity, this is the MG5 forum and the info above is not correct. The 12v indication is on the right hand side and is digital, no needle, as shown below:

View attachment 7793
Sorry I did not notice I was posting info on the MG5 pages !.
Other that the position of the 12 volt battery gauge, the other info is factually correct and maybe of some use regardless.
I consider myself told off 🤪.

Hi Suzie!

A warm welcome to the forum. Always good to get more female members as well. I realise that getting used to your new MG5 will take some time but you’ll get there eventually and even now, after five months, I am finding out new tips and facts about this great motor.
Just think of it as moving to a new town - everything is new and bewildering at first until you start to find your way about but quickly what was strange and had to be thought of at first will become second nature, requiring no thought at all!
Don’t be shy about asking questions, no matter if you think its stupid! We won’t bite your head off!

Hi Suzie!

A warm welcome to the forum. Always good to get more female members as well. I realise that getting used to your new MG5 will take some time but you’ll get there eventually and even now, after five months, I am finding out new tips and facts about this great motor.
Just think of it as moving to a new town - everything is new and bewildering at first until you start to find your way about but quickly what was strange and had to be thought of at first will become second nature, requiring no thought at all!
Don’t be shy about asking questions, no matter if you think its stupid! We won’t bite your head off!
That’s lovely I feel really welcomed into this group😊

Sorry I did not notice I was posting info on the MG5 pages !.
Other that the position of the 12 volt battery gauge, the other info is factually correct and maybe of some use regardless.
I consider myself told off 🤪.
I did grasp what you was telling me thankyou

Hi I am new to this look forward to learning some things on the way
Hi and hello Suzie and has others have said already your are very welcome here.
So I suppose I’m one of the oldies on the this forum being one of the first to order an MG5 back in 2020 when it first came to the UK, so I have learned quite a lot in that time about the 5 and EVs in general, now having read through this thread you have got going here when using the forum that be aware that what you are reading applies to your car as there are some differences between the 5 and the ZS models, many of the comments are very true and applie to most EVs especially the battery warnings, it is very important not to sit in the car with things that run on the 12 volt battery, that’s lights radio heating/aircon seat heaters just about everything, as most are powered from the 12 volt battery that’s other than the drive motor, so if your parked up even for more than a few minutes do ensure the car is fully switched on, even if you have any of the above on while on a charging point charging the car, using these the things above can run the 12v battery down if the car is not switch fully on and then the car might not start / drive if that happens.

So talking of charging I am assuming your are new to the car and might not have even used a charger as yet but when you do don’t panic if after you have finished charging you find you can’t remove the plug from the charger or the car socket, I have seen this so many times with new owners and with many different makes and models, all you need to remember if it wont unplug press the open button on the key fob and that will release the cable or should do, there is a emergency release procedure but I won’t go into that here as you shouldn’t need that.

So just one other piece of advice is get yourself a 10mm spanner to keep in the car just in case you do get a problem with car refusing to start or power up at some point, done think for one minute this will happen to you but it has happen to a few owners on this and other forums if something does go wrong just disconnecting the 12 volt battery for a few minutes can sometimes get you out of trouble, when I told my wife about this and showed her where the spanner is kept in our car she said I don’t know anything about using spanner’s so my reply to that was OK but there will probably be someone around that does who could help you if you have the right spanner to do the job.

So Suzie to summarise make sure what you read applies to your vehicle,
Make sure everything is turned off when the car is not powered up fully,
The exception to that would be if you need your parking lights on, then it’s just as any other car on the road electric or not OK for quite a while but not for to long if you can avoid it, you may have 100% charge in the cars HV battery but if the 12volt battery gets Drained down the car will not power up or drive.

Main thing is, enjoy your car you have not said what model colour or type being SR or LR you have but it’s a great choice you have made, do read the forums there’s lots to be learned
And do not hesitate at any point to ask for help with anything, as someone rightfully point out before me we the members on this forum are not a bad bunch ( Well most of us are OK ) so ask anything you need to know no matter what
Happy EV motoring and good luck with your MG5.
Les

Hi and hello Suzie and has others have said already your are very welcome here.
So I suppose I’m one of the oldies on the this forum being one of the first to order an MG5 back in 2020 when it first came to the UK, so I have learned quite a lot in that time about the 5 and EVs in general, now having read through this thread you have got going here when using the forum that be aware that what you are reading applies to your car as there are some differences between the 5 and the ZS models, many of the comments are very true and applie to most EVs especially the battery warnings, it is very important not to sit in the car with things that run on the 12 volt battery, that’s lights radio heating/aircon seat heaters just about everything, as most are powered from the 12 volt battery that’s other than the drive motor, so if your parked up even for more than a few minutes do ensure the car is fully switched on, even if you have any of the above on while on a charging point charging the car, using these the things above can run the 12v battery down if the car is not switch fully on and then the car might not start / drive if that happens.

So talking of charging I am assuming your are new to the car and might not have even used a charger as yet but when you do don’t panic if after you have finished charging you find you can’t remove the plug from the charger or the car socket, I have seen this so many times with new owners and with many different makes and models, all you need to remember if it wont unplug press the open button on the key fob and that will release the cable or should do, there is a emergency release procedure but I won’t go into that here as you shouldn’t need that.

So just one other piece of advice is get yourself a 10mm spanner to keep in the car just in case you do get a problem with car refusing to start or power up at some point, done think for one minute this will happen to you but it has happen to a few owners on this and other forums if something does go wrong just disconnecting the 12 volt battery for a few minutes can sometimes get you out of trouble, when I told my wife about this and showed her where the spanner is kept in our car she said I don’t know anything about using spanner’s so my reply to that was OK but there will probably be someone around that does who could help you if you have the right spanner to do the job.

So Suzie to summarise make sure what you read applies to your vehicle,
Make sure everything is turned off when the car is not powered up fully,
The exception to that would be if you need your parking lights on, then it’s just as any other car on the road electric or not OK for quite a while but not for to long if you can avoid it, you may have 100% charge in the cars HV battery but if the 12volt battery gets Drained down the car will not power up or drive.

Main thing is, enjoy your car you have not said what model colour or type being SR or LR you have but it’s a great choice you have made, do read the forums there’s lots to be learned
And do not hesitate at any point to ask for help with anything, as someone rightfully point out before me we the members on this forum are not a bad bunch ( Well most of us are OK ) so ask anything you need to know no matter what
Happy EV motoring and good luck with your MG5.
Les
Thankyou for all your advice no doubt I will run into something else I will need help with and there are so many people to help me on my way thank you again

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom