Tailgate sticks in warm weather

Rixxxe

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
The tailgate of my MG4 Luxury (Trophy) gets stuck when the car has been left in the sun for a long time.
I made 2 videos on different days:

First case, roof touches:
day one

In the second case, I couldn't open the tailgate at all because it was completely wedged:
day two

Does anyone know?

Videos aren’t accessible. Clearly heat expansion. I’d check the touch points: struts, lock/catch point, hinges, rubber seals and gapping.

The tailgate of my MG4 Luxury (Trophy) gets stuck when the car has been left in the sun for a long time.
I made 2 videos on different days:

First case, roof touches:
day one

In the second case, I couldn't open the tailgate at all because it was completely wedged:
day two

Does anyone know?
Mine doesn't do this. Almost certainly it is not properly aligned. I would take it back to the dealer to fix.

On a couple of occasions mine has made an awful cracking sound on opening. I couldn’t see the cause. I’ll now check the temperature next time it does this in case heat has expanded something.

If it's the same as mine, it's the roof spoiler rubbing on the roof edge when hot the spoiler has deformed slightly, will get dealer to sort at service. Pic doesn't really show it clearly...

Attachments

• PXL_20230707_122658771~2.jpg
    PXL_20230707_122658771~2.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20230619_163102555.jpg
    PXL_20230619_163102555.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 70

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%