Taking your granny on holiday

BillyWhizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I will be going to the lakes later this month got a lovely cottage for a week with off road parking so I will to using my granny charger for the first time
So thinking ahead I went out today to get a weather proof extension lead found a great deal at wicks 15 meter weather proof lead with storage for £20 the charger plug fits in snugly

Attachments

• 93742E7D-3A83-47FC-B860-0F3F53E2926C.jpeg
    93742E7D-3A83-47FC-B860-0F3F53E2926C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
Looks good. Just make absolutely sure that the socket that you are plugging into is in good condition to provide 10A for a long period, then check the socket regularly to ensure it doesn't get hot. Unlike the plug on granny the one on your extension has no temperature cutout.

Is it rated for 10a or 13a continuous use and is the a number on the lead saying what size cable are inside?

This cable has a number stamped into it. 3g1.5mm2 3 core and 1.5mm2 fine for 16A, it is my camping hook up lead that I use onto a 13A socket.

Attachments

• 20220514_172047.jpg
    20220514_172047.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 135
I will be going to the lakes later this month got a lovely cottage for a week with off road parking so I will to using my granny charger for the first time
So thinking ahead I went out today to get a weather proof extension lead found a great deal at wicks 15 meter weather proof lead with storage for £20 the charger plug fits in snugly
I just spent a week in Scotland, did exactly the Same purchased mine from Home base for £20.

Worked a treat, cable for granny is thicker than extension, but fitted no problem.

I have the same, but only the 10m extension and have used it without bother.

Just a thought has the cottage owners agreed that you can charge your car with their electricity, I stayed somewhere recently and they charged £40 a week for the use if their electricity

We took our Granny lead with us to Cornwall. Also took a wind up Extn lead as the nearest three pin socket was too far to use the Granny lead alone.
It worked with the Extn lead the first time I used it with wall socket about two metres or less from the end of the Granny lead.
Zilch the second time.
Then I googled the use of the Extn lead to find it’s illegal to use the Extn lead and granny lead together.
Check that out in case ?

Also took a wind up Extn lead
Only use an extension lead fully extended. Otherwise they overheat.
It worked with the Extn lead the first time I used it with wall socket about two metres or less from the end of the Granny lead.

Was it still working when you came to disconnect it?

Zilch the second time.

Oh dear. Does your extension lead work at all now? If it's one with a thermal cutout you may be lucky. If the fuse has blown the chances are the cable has melted towards the centre of the reel. Note it may not be the external insulation that has gone.

Then I googled the use of the Extn lead to find it’s illegal to use the Extn lead and granny lead together.

Source? It's generally not advised but isn't illegal to use an extension before the granny lead, and debatable after it.

Only use an extension lead fully extended. Otherwise they overheat.

Was it still working when you came to disconnect it?

Oh dear. Does your extension lead work at all now? If it's one with a thermal cutout you may be lucky. If the fuse has blown the chances are the cable has melted towards the centre of the reel. Note it may not be the external insulation that has gone.

Source? It's generally not advised but isn't illegal to use an extension before the granny lead, and debatable after it.

We took our Granny lead with us to Cornwall. Also took a wind up Extn lead as the nearest three pin socket was too far to use the Granny lead alone.
Zilch the second time.
Check that out in case ?
Could you find that again and share it with us all, would be difficult to in force .

I simply googled using a Granny lead with an Extn cable.
I believe it referred to an EU edict with reasons why, but even so it’s probably just as valid even if we don’t follow EU legislation.

I simply googled using a Granny lead with an Extn cable.
I believe it referred to an EU edict with reasons why, but even so it’s probably just as valid even if we don’t follow EU legislation.
i typed that and found nothing on this.

Used a tough leads extension with a cut out thing built in. Charged the car overnight with it in the rain, worked no problem, no overheating,

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom