Target charge level resetting to 100%

AndyM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Has anybody experience the target charge level resetting to 100%. The first time I put it down to user error but it has happened again. It seems that it won't stay at 80% and periodically resets.

I'm not sure the app makes a lower charge level available for the SR model? (I recall someone else posting about this). Which would suggest @AndyM has an LR model.

It's a Trophy. I can set it to 80% and it says "success". Eventually it will reset itself to 100% though. I wonder if it corresponds with the car going into the sleep mode like others have experienced and where the app won't update that I posted another thread on.

Despite showing charge limited to 80%, both in the car and on the app. This morning found the car charged to 100%. Had the car for 3 weeks, this is the first time I've seen this. ??

Despite showing charge limited to 80%, both in the car and on the app. This morning found the car charged to 100%. Had the car for 3 weeks, this is the first time I've seen this. ??

Yep there are definitely some issues in this area.

MG Customer service responded with

Thank you for your email, however your first port of call, should be your MG Dealership in order to see if this has occurred as the result of fault.

Please note that you will be required to charge the vehicle to 100% using AC charging as often as you can manage, in order to keep the battery cells equalised and balanced.

Yours sincerely

When the car was in for the leak the dealer said they had been told they shouldn't do any software updates and I should contact MG about software issues.

I have followed up and asked customer service to forward to the software folks. No response yet.

If you have a SR model isnt there a requirement to charge to 100% periodically? perhaps this is why it is changing to 100% sometimes. If it is a LR then it sounds like a bug.

If you have a SR model isnt there a requirement to charge to 100% periodically? perhaps this is why it is changing to 100% sometimes. If it is a LR then it sounds like a bug.
The requirement is for LR (I have a Trophy LR). It is the LFP battery tech that is more forgiving of being charged to 100% always. The LR needs to be charged to 100% periodically but it shouldn't override a scheduled charge as that can push the charging into peak rates. If the car thinks there is a need to re-balance then it should alert not just take a tenner out of my beer money.

The requirement is for LR (I have a Trophy LR). It is the LFP battery tech that is more forgiving of being charged to 100% always. The LR needs to be charged to 100% periodically but it shouldn't override a scheduled charge as that can push the charging into peak rates. If the car thinks there is a need to re-balance then it should alert not just take a tenner out of my beer money.
Hi Andy
I thought it was the short range battery that was LFP?

It just dawned on me that it might be resetting the infotainment when the DAB/Radio freezes that was doing this and indeed it is. I did a test and set charge target to 80% then I reset infotainment with a long hold of the home button and it immediately reset to 100%

Mystery solved so if/when the radio issue gets resolved this should no longer be an issue either.

..... I think thats my conclusion also, so some settings the car remembers, but others it doesn't, as for charging on mine my ohme home charger takes over - so even though i dont want it - it picks up the last settings from ohme, even though i dont want this - as soon as you know, its not a problem, but when you have 10 miles left (long story) to charge up, then its a bit of a challenge when it thinks you want charging only from 00:00 - 05:00 am (via scheduled charging) in my case :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nope it has reset again to 100% and I haven’t reset the infotainment since setting it to 80% so seems like a separate bug here too.

Sigh etc

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 531 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel