Target SOC

Deleted member 13624

Reaction score
Anyone else suddenly seeing that the target SOC doesn't work anymore?

Keep setting 70% on the app only to find it charges all the way up.

I'm using an ohme home wall charger never had an issue but lately it's ignoring the set target

A couple of times it's happened to me is when I've altered the charging % after plugging the car into the charger but the charge hasn't started. I now make sure to check and alter the % before plugging the car in.

A couple of times it's happened to me is when I've altered the charging % after plugging the car into the charger but the charge hasn't started. I now make sure to check and alter the % before plugging the car in.
Yeah I set it before plug in, never had an issue till now.

Seems to go to 100% no matter what.

I wonder if Ohme have done something

It’s not an Ohme thing. My Trophy regularly overshoots the 80% target when charging on my Easee charger. Reported twice to MG when the car was in for updates. No fix.

edited to remove ambiguity

Last edited:
It’s not an Ohme thing. My Trophy regularly overshoots the 80% target on my Easee charger. Reported twice to MG when the car was in for updates. No fix.
Yeah I'm not talking about the target on the charger, but the charge limit on the vehicle.

Target soc in vehicle does as far I know only work when the car is in a planned charge cycle.
Might be wise to check if your charge start is innside start and stop planned in the car.

I always set my home charging (Easee) like this:
Set planned start some time after I plug it in and let the car start and controll the charge from planned charging.

Edit: Se my next post about R46 in Trophy.

Last edited:
Target soc in vehicle does as far I know only work when the car is in a planned charge cycle.
Might be wise to check if your charge start is innside start and stop planned in the car.

Set planned start some time after I plug it in and let the car start and controll the charge from planned charging.
Interesting.

In the past, I would go into the battery menu press on the battery and set it to 70% plug in my charger and it would not charge past the set 70% charge.

Recently been doing this and now it charges to 100% regardless of setting it. I've no idea why it would stop working.

I've also plugged in first, then set the target to 70% from the car menu, and it still bypasses the target SOC set from the car and continues on to 100%

Only started happening recently.

A "small" "guide" to AC charging the MG4 Luxury/Trophy phase 1 (aka model year 2022) to a preset SOC %, my experiences as I know it from my own car.

Note: This does not apply to:
SE as it has no option to set % SOC limitation.

Note: R46 DC fast charging wil now stop at set % SOC.

Pre R46: To charge to the pre-set % SOC, Scheduled charging must be activated in the car/app and the charge carried out in the specified time period. Preferably with the charger connected and ready before the planned charging start to avoid gremlins in the charging process.

NOTE: If you do not want to familiarize yourself with the ISmart app's peculiarities with % SOC limitation and planning, it may be wise to do this from the car's screen rather than in the app, as the ISmart app can in some cases "forget" the %/time settings (returns to the setting you used last time) or simply that the car and app do not "agree" on which setting should apply (The car's settings should trump the app's when the app is opened and before the app has changed the car's settings).

With R46:
Be aware that R46 itself probably has nothing to do with the improved charging functionality, that probably comes from the module updates that are normally done before R46 is installed. This is known because there are those who have not had improved charging functionality with R46 before various modules have been updated afterwards.

AC charging with R46 installed and modules updated with home charger (in my case Easee):

1. As before with the car's charging schedule activated and within the planned charging time, but it no longer matters when you plug in the charger. In or outside the planned charging time slot works equally well.

Note: App problems with forgotten %/time can still happen.

2. With the car's charging schedule disabled.
Plug in the charger and the car charges immediately to the set % SOC.

3. With the charger's time planner, so that you don't have to fiddle with the ISmart app.

For my own part, I now use the Easee app to control when the car should be charged and the iSmart app or the screen in the car to set % SOC if I need to change to something other than 80%.

Last edited:

Edit: Se my next post about R46 in Trophy.
I have my car in for first service yesterday and I asked about this and was told because mine is the SE model I can't set a target & that it's ok to go to 100%.

Me too. I was confused when I first got the car, because I'd read all this stuff about not charging past 80% (although my dealer said, no, just whack it up to 100% whenever you want, he didn't explain why) but the people here put me right.

I have my car in for first service yesterday and I asked about this and was told because mine is the SE model I can't set a target & that it's ok to go to 100%.
My car is a Luxury/Trophy and my answer relating to target SOC does not aply to the SE. The SE is suposed to be charged to 100% and do not have adjustable target SOC (because of the battery type).

The answer given in my post is also only for pre R40/46 software update as post R40/46 update the target SOC is always working.

A "small" "guide" to AC charging the MG4 Luxury/Trophy phase 1 (aka model year 2022) to a preset SOC %, my experiences as I know it from my own car.

Note: This does not apply to:
SE as it has no option to set % SOC limitation.

Note: R46 DC fast charging wil now stop at set % SOC.

Pre R46: To charge to the pre-set % SOC, Scheduled charging must be activated in the car/app and the charge carried out in the specified time period. Preferably with the charger connected and ready before the planned charging start to avoid gremlins in the charging process.

NOTE: If you do not want to familiarize yourself with the ISmart app's peculiarities with % SOC limitation and planning, it may be wise to do this from the car's screen rather than in the app, as the ISmart app can in some cases "forget" the %/time settings (returns to the setting you used last time) or simply that the car and app do not "agree" on which setting should apply (The car's settings should trump the app's when the app is opened and before the app has changed the car's settings).

With R46:
Be aware that R46 itself probably has nothing to do with the improved charging functionality, that probably comes from the module updates that are normally done before R46 is installed. This is known because there are those who have not had improved charging functionality with R46 before various modules have been updated afterwards.

AC charging with R46 installed and modules updated with home charger (in my case Easee):

1. As before with the car's charging schedule activated and within the planned charging time, but it no longer matters when you plug in the charger. In or outside the planned charging time slot works equally well.

Note: App problems with forgotten %/time can still happen.

2. With the car's charging schedule disabled.
Plug in the charger and the car charges immediately to the set % SOC.

3. With the charger's time planner, so that you don't have to fiddle with the ISmart app.

For my own part, I now use the Easee app to control when the car should be charged and the iSmart app or the screen in the car to set % SOC if I need to change to something other than 80%.
I'm on R33 in my Trophy and the target SOC always works on either AC or DC. No need to mess around with enabling schedules. So, I do not think R46 has anything to do with the problems you had, it was likely another module update that fixed it for you.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back