Tesla fast destination charger not working

sha66ir

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So had breakfast at Lewinnick Lodge today with a Tesla destination charger.

Tried it and didn't work. I made sure it was the one for all EVs.

Also made sure schedule charging was switched off.

Any advice?

Thanks

What car are you driving as the nearest Tesla charger open to non Teslas according to the Tesla app to Lewinnick Lodge are on the M4 in south Wales?

What car are you driving as the nearest Tesla charger open to non Teslas according to the Tesla app to Lewinnick Lodge are on the M4 in south Wales?
Those are rapids. @sha66ir is talking about these destination chargers at the hotel:-

Screenshot_20230625_072939.png

Note the different signs above the chargers. Any EV can use the one with the white sign.
(Pic ripped from Street View)

@sha66ir - There are a couple of possibilities:-
  1. The charger was switched off by the hotel staff. Did you ask about it at reception? They may only turn it on by request.
  2. The installer got the signs switched.

From their websites FAQ:
Do you have a car charging point?
Yes, we have two Tesla’s and one electric car charger outside to the left of our main entrance. These are reserved for residential hotel guests only.

Those are rapids. @sha66ir is talking about these destination chargers at the hotel:-

View attachment 18524
Note the different signs above the chargers. Any EV can use the one with the white sign.
(Pic ripped from Street View)

@sha66ir - There are a couple of possibilities:-
  1. The charger was switched off by the hotel staff. Did you ask about it at reception? They may only turn it on by request.
  2. The installer got the signs switched.
There was an id4 charging before me so I am sure the charger was not switched off or signs switched.

From their websites FAQ:
Do you have a car charging point?
Yes, we have two Tesla’s and one electric car charger outside to the left of our main entrance. These are reserved for residential hotel guests only.
I thought it was just a case of plugging it in

There was an id4 charging before me so I am sure the charger was not switched off or signs switched.

I thought it was just a case of plugging it in
Did you seek advice from any staff at the venue?

So had breakfast at Lewinnick Lodge today with a Tesla destination charger.

Tried it and didn't work. I made sure it was the one for all EVs.

Also made sure schedule charging was switched off.

Any advice?

Thanks
My MG5 didn't charge at an open Tesla charger. I called the Tesla helpline. They told me that no MGs work on Tesla chargers and that the problem was with MG. I then wrote to MG (twice, after no response the first time) and they now say that Tesla chargers will now work if my car (and yours?) has the latest software updates applied.

The problem now is that MG no longer apply software updates when the car is serviced. They separately charge £120 per hour for software updates and don't even guarantee that it will be completed within one hour!

Consequently I have not yet applied any updates to my car (2022 pre facelift MG5 LR) so can't confirm that Tesla chargers now work. Will probably apply update before my next trip to France.

I hope this helps.

My MG5 didn't charge at an open Tesla charger. I called the Tesla helpline. They told me that no MGs work on Tesla chargers and that the problem was with MG. I then wrote to MG (twice, after no response the first time) and they now say that Tesla chargers will now work if my car (and yours?) has the latest software updates applied.

The problem now is that MG no longer apply software updates when the car is serviced. They separately charge £120 per hour for software updates and don't even guarantee that it will be completed within one hour!

Consequently I have not yet applied any updates to my car (2022 pre facelift MG5 LR) so can't confirm that Tesla chargers now work. Will probably apply update before my next trip to France.

I hope this helps.
I was always under the impression that updates were part of the service regime unless you specifically said no, when did this change? MG could then release updates 2 weeks apart rather than downloading a bunch at the same time, to quietly boost the profits from their unknowing cash cows. Of course that would mean more trips and more time spent at the dealers , if you could get an appointment. Is there a centralised booking system which is perhaps shared with the NHS dental practices?
Again is this just a MG issue or is it industry wide?

I was always under the impression that updates were part of the service regime unless you specifically said no, when did this change? MG could then release updates 2 weeks apart rather than downloading a bunch at the same time, to quietly boost the profits from their unknowing cash cows. Of course that would mean more trips and more time spent at the dealers , if you could get an appointment. Is there a centralised booking system which is perhaps shared with the NHS dental practices?
Again is this just a MG issue or is it industry wide?
I've just been reminded of a software update which enabled new features for the ZS EV a while back, that MG swore blind "would not work on existing cars".
After a short delay (and a certain amount of yelling by ZS EV owners), it suddenly appeared as an optional update which dealers could install on existing cars for "just" £75.

Just posted this...

I'm not sure if it'll help but I've had no issues since following this process

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums