Tesla Model 3 to X-power or Extended range

Good evening, having an XPower I can't even imagine doing 180 miles every day on it. With your specifications, I'd definitely go for a Long Range (ER) !
Just to be clear, we won't be doing 180 miles in it everyday but need approximately this range as a minimum summer range to make our charging arrangements work sensibly (which is the range we currently have from a 90% charge)

Last edited:
Just to be clear, we won't be doing 180 miles in it everyday but need approximately this range as a minimum summer range to make our charging arrangements work sensibly (which is the range we currently have from a 90% charge)
XPower hands down. Not just because I've got one and it helps validate my slightly irrational heart over head decision, but that is most certainly a part of it.

Recently had a huge Range Rover approximately 13mm from the rear bumper around a few roundabouts that are close together, just before you get to a dual carriageway. As soon as the second lane opened up they were in it with gusto judging by the sound of their engine and exhaust.

Only heard it for half a second as I smoothly and comfortably (and quickly) accelerated to 70 or possibly 71mph. Suffice to say that the RR carried on accelerating way past legal limits to prove how big and fast they were.

To me the XPower would've carried on, at those speeds I've never once felt a hint of it slowing down. Had a test drive of a Model Y Performance and my son came to both it and that of the XPower. He liked the pace, the fart noises, the games and the doors opening whilst playing music in the Tesla. But he loved the XPower kick in the back- said it felt like a rocket ship.

Your call, obviously, but I know what I'd prefer to sit in for the next 4 years!

Only heard it for half a second as I smoothly and comfortably (and quickly) accelerated to 70 or possibly 71mph. Suffice to say that the RR carried on accelerating way past legal limits to prove how big and fast they were.
Great story, but you're coming close to encouraging readers to break the speed limit, and we can't have that on this forum. Just be careful with your wording with these sorts of posts, and of course drive safely to the conditions.

XPower hands down. Not just because I've got one and it helps validate my slightly irrational heart over head decision, but that is most certainly a part of it.

Recently had a huge Range Rover approximately 13mm from the rear bumper around a few roundabouts that are close together, just before you get to a dual carriageway. As soon as the second lane opened up they were in it with gusto judging by the sound of their engine and exhaust.

To me the XPower would've carried on, at those speeds I've never once felt a hint of it slowing down. Had a test drive of a Model Y Performance and my son came to both it and that of the XPower. He liked the pace, the fart noises, the games and the doors opening whilst playing music in the Tesla. But he loved the XPower kick in the back- said it felt like a rocket ship.

Your call, obviously, but I know what I'd prefer to sit in for the next 4 years!
I think I had the same RR behind me this morning 😆

I couldn't do much about it this morning... X power arrives in a month 😀

That changes the picture slightly as in Summer the range should be much better due to warmer weather and less heating etc. What sort of driving is your daily 180 miles ? -fast motorway/dual cw or slower roads. Plus the £31,000 is a great price as long as it's classed as a new car for business relief purposes.

That changes the picture slightly as in Summer the range should be much better due to warmer weather and less heating etc. What sort of driving is your daiy 180 daily ? -fast motorway/dual cw or slower roads.
Mainly short urban trips between 1 and 25 miles (my wife will be using it for her foot health practitioner business, visiting clients at their homes)

That should be quite good for range then. especially those trips over 10 miles IMHO 👍and much better value than an ICE car.
Yeah - we've been using the Tesla in this way for 3.5 years and 70k miles. Sadly most trips are well under 5 miles though.

Great story, but you're coming close to encouraging readers to break the speed limit, and we can't have that on this forum. Just be careful with your wording with these sorts of posts, and of course drive safely to the conditions.
Apologies all- was just trying to illustrate the capabilities of the car up to the speed limit. Drive safely, keep an eye on what's around you and do your best to avoid those who take no heed of the rules and regs.

Is this a serious response ? Someone mentioning they may have possibly exceeded the posted speed limit by 1mph is encouraging readers to break the speed limits ?

Don't argue with a mod - you'll always lose. ;)

It was a question, because I honestly couldn't tell. Mentioning possibly driving at 71 in a 70 is not in any way, shape or form encouraging unlawful activity.

Perhaps the role of the moderators should be reviewed and modified from the below to whatever the above is called.

Some might call it harassment.

Not me, but some.

Screenshot_20240308_113325_edit_376229982123406.jpg

Screenshot_20240308_120052_edit_376303155640461.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240308_113325_edit_376229982123406.jpg
    Screenshot_20240308_113325_edit_376229982123406.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 19
Sorry I'm late.

I've been ahem, otherwise in accordance of the rules.

Well placed to comment I think, as I've had an M3 SR.

180 miles in the summer shouldn't be a problem as long as your not deploying the 'Full Beanage' willy nilly.

You WILL NOT get the efficiency you have been enjoying in your Tesla.

The thrill of a full launch will wear off.

The Tesla is a nicer, more relaxed car to be in IMO.
But I have been pleasantly surprised at how well put together the MG is.
I don't feel short-changed at all.
The self driving is far superior to the MG which in fairness is not advertised as having that capability.

(See Abusing TJA in a search)

The X Power is way firmer, but not harsh or crashy in anyway whatsoever.

Beautifully balanced despite our mostly awful pot holed Welsh Roads. (Speaking only for my local back roads)

I do not recall ever turning off LKA in my Tesla.
You will probably want to disable it everytime you set off in the MG.#

The LKA is not the best but something I've learnt to live with by switching it off in my pre flight routine.

I prefer the size of the MG and my first hatchback in decades is perfectly practical for my circumstances.

You must supply your own fart noises in the MG.

This is not a problem for most of our membership.

The Tesla Software and the experience of using it is far superior IMO.

I've got used to the MG interface and don't have any issue with using any of it whatsoever.

If you want a decent sound out of the MG I find Android Auto with Spotify the way I go about it.
Make sure you enable your Virtual Sub and select Rock or Pop in the equaliser for the best experience.

I hated the wiper operation in the Tesla.

The MG sadly, does not have a rain sensor, and goes back to you managing it yourself.
3 speed intermittent is not the height of innovation, but you soon get used to 'how you used to do it'

If you value devastating real world performance above all other considerations, you will not go wrong with an MG X Power.

I like the power and am not shy in deploying it. (Where conditions allow)

The thrill this car gives and the sheer ground covering ability is like no other car I have ever owned.

I've likened it to a Four Wheel Sports Bike in other posts on here.

I could go on.

And I will go on!

But it is also so very good at the mundane, the normal day to day, AtoB driving that we all do everyday.

It's not like any of my previous ICE performance cars, always egging you on with a thundering V8,V10,V12 soundtrack.

It's easy to use, quiet, comfortable, practical, easy to park, easy to load, easy to get into, but with a devastating hammer blow that puts you right back in your seat, whenever you require.

Caveat
As you lose battery percentage, you also lose performance.
Nothing 'terrible' until you get south of 30%*** but it is noticeable.
(Very cold weather only)

***You can still get away from the lights very quickly if required.

#Depending on your road markings etc
To be clear, if you have well defined road markings the LKA works as it should IMO.
I find it struggles with poorly marked B roads as its biggest problem.

HTH 👍

Edit: You might experience a slight vibe/hum 58to74mph

Initially I started a post 65-75 mph but I can feel it outside of those speeds.

Really minimal for me, but it is still there and some members feel it more than I.
One chap says he has zero vibes but most other owners report it to varying degrees.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm late.

I've been ahem, otherwise in accordance of the rules.

Well placed to comment I think, as I've had an M3 SR.

180 miles in the summer shouldn't be a problem as long as your not deploying the 'Full Beanage' willy nilly.

You WILL NOT get the efficiency you have been enjoying in your Tesla.

The thrill of a full launch will wear off.

The Tesla is a nicer, more relaxed car to be in IMO.
But I have been pleasantly surprised at how well put together the MG is.
I don't feel short-changed at all.
The self driving is far superior to the MG which in fairness is not advertised as having that capability.

(See Abusing TJA in a search)

The X Power is way firmer, but not harsh or crashy in anyway whatsoever.

Beautifully balanced despite our mostly awful pot holed Welsh Roads. (Speaking only for my local back roads)

I do not recall ever turning off LKA in my Tesla.
You will probably want to disable it everytime you set off in the MG.#

The LKA is not the best but something I've learnt to live with by switching it off in my pre flight routine.

I prefer the size of the MG and my first hatchback in decades is perfectly practical for my circumstances.

You must supply your own fart noises in the MG.

This is not a problem for most of our membership.

The Tesla Software and the experience of using it is far superior IMO.

I've got used to the MG interface and don't have any issue with using any of it whatsoever.

If you want a decent sound out of the MG I find Android Auto with Spotify the way I go about it.
Make sure you enable your Virtual Sub and select Rock or Pop in the equaliser for the best experience.

I hated the wiper operation in the Tesla.

The MG sadly, does not have a rain sensor, and goes back to you managing it yourself.
3 speed intermittent is not the height of innovation, but you soon get used to 'how you used to do it'

If you value devastating real world performance above all other considerations, you will not go wrong with an MG X Power.

I like the power and am not shy in deploying it. (Where conditions allow)

The thrill this car gives and the sheer ground covering ability is like no other car I have ever owned.

I've likened it to a Four Wheel Sports Bike in other posts on here.

I could go on.

And I will go on!

But it is also so very good at the mundane, the normal day to day, AtoB driving that we all do everyday.

It's not like any of my previous ICE performance cars, always egging you on with a thundering V8,V10,V12 soundtrack.

It's easy to use, quiet, comfortable, practical, easy to park, easy to load, easy to get into, but with a devastating hammer blow that puts you right back in your seat, whenever you require.

Caveat
As you lose battery percentage, you also lose performance.
Nothing 'terrible' until you get south of 30%*** but it is noticeable.

***You can still get away from the lights very quickly if required.

#Depending on your road markings etc
To be clear, if you have well defined road markings the LKA works as it should IMO.
I find it struggles with poorly marked B roads as its biggest problem.

HTH 👍

Edit: You might experience a slight vibe/hum 58to74mph

Initially I started a post 65-75 mph but I can feel it outside of those speeds.

Really minimal for me, but It is still there and some members feel it more than I.
One chap says he has zero vibes but most other owners report it to varying degrees.
Great write up, he's Defo getting an,
X Power now. 😉🙂👍

Great write up, he's Defo getting an,
X Power now. 😉🙂👍

Food for thought m8.
Not everyone wants "devastating performance" and the Teslas efficiency is very attractive.
I used to see 4.5 mpkWh regularly, without any effort on my part.

It was also plenty quick enough in the real world.

I think you have got to 'really want' an X Power to buy one.

Once I had test driven one.......

I really wanted it 👍🤣🤣🤣

Edit

And yes of course, it can be driven sensibly, day to day.
It's probably 99% percent of my driving.

There's just something very appealing to me, knowing what you have got available under your right foot, should you require it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom