Tesla Model 3 to X-power or Extended range

Food for thought m8.
Not everyone wants "devastating performance" and the Teslas efficiency is very attractive.
I used to see 4.5 mpkwh regularly, without any effort on my part.

It was also plenty quick enough in the real world.

I think you have got to 'really want' an X Power to buy one.

Once I had test driven one.......

I really wanted it 👍🤣🤣🤣

Edit

And yes of course, it can be driven sensibly, day to day.
It's probably 99% percent of my driving.

There's just something very appealing to me, knowing what you have got available under your right foot, should you require it.

Many thanks for the replies - really good to hear from someone who has come from a Tesla and I totally agree with everything you’ve said.

Yeah the reduced efficiency is a concern the Tesla would return 4+ miles/kWh at 80 (obviously only on a private test track) all day long. It is surprising that with a ground up EV design like the MG4 that they’ve managed to make it so inefficient (and that applies to the whole range not just the XP).

There are far more negatives coming from a Tesla to the MG4 than positives but have our eyes open and think we need the performance the XP provides to make up for these ;) . Just got to convince Helen of that the irrational reasoning now lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many have actually run the car to zero power? The 'range' is only an estimate and it could be a way off the 'real' range of the MG4.

How many have actually rin the car to zero power? The 'range' is only an estimate and it could be a way of the 'real' range of the MG4.

I've run her down to 4% and I will do my utmost not to do it again!
(Not a problem in the warmer months)

It would maintain 70mph on the flat, but would slow dramatically if an incline presented itself.

The car was fine once I was back into town.

I imagine as with most videos I've seen the car will happily poodle around til the death. (Not recommended)

Edit: It might even Pootle! 🤣

Last edited:
How many have actually rin the car to zero power? The 'range' is only an estimate and it could be a way of the 'real' range of the MG4.
I ran my down to below 5% near home on purpose to do a full charge to 100%. Acceleration and power at around 6% and less was severley restricted as Bricktop reports. I struggled to maintain 40mph, slightly more on the level and downhill.

Lets just say if you are doing any higher speed driving (motorway / dual cw's) for safety's sake I would'nt let it drop below 6%-8%. Around town you are probably fine.

This was in UK Winter at around 4°C btw. My battery is also slow AC charged and balanced regularly and the % SoC and GOM are reasonably accurate IMHO and I never reset the trip meter etc..

How many have actually run the car to zero power? The 'range' is only an estimate and it could be a way off the 'real' range of the MG4.
Bjorn Nyland ran a Trophy LR (same battery as the XP) around a car park until it stopped ... admittedly it was low speed driving but it went 15 miles after showing 0% SoC.

I ran my down to below 5% near home on purpose to do a full charge to 100%. Acceleration and power at around 6% and less was severley restricted as Bricktop reports. I struggled to maintain 40mph, slightly more on the level and downhill.

Lets just say if you are doing any higher speed driving (motorway / dual cw's) for safety's sake I would'nt let it drop below 6%-8%. Around town you are probably fine.

This was in UK Winter at around 4°C btw. My battery is also slow AC charged and balanced regularly and the % SoC and GOM are reasonably accurate IMHO and I never reset the trip meter etc..
We live on a very steep hill that takes 75% power to drive up, so I will not be testing out these low SOCs as I would run the very real risk of not being able to get home up the hill. Everywhere around is very hilly, so this kind if experimentation may be fine if you live somewhere flat but isn't for me.

So weekend just gone, we had a 12 hour test drive in a Trophy LR followed by an hours test drive in an X-Power at our local dealers (Howards in Yeovil - very helpful). It was wet for both drives (although did get half an hour of dry roads in the X-Power). Did 250 miles in the LR and 45 miles in X-power

Initial thoughts -

Good points summary first:-

-Surprisingly well built - feels solid - no squeaks and rattles in either car (X-power had 6k miles on clock) - much better built than our Fremont built Tesla
-Playful back-end, especially in the wet with the LR which was a pleasant surprise.
-Generally very quiet up to 60mph (quieter than the Tesla)
-Relaxing and easy to drive
-Good overall size (particularly for the rural lanes where we live) - good packaging overall.
-Grin inducing performance & grip (well on the X-Power at least!)

Bad points

-Steering absolutely no feel or feedback and comically light on LR in anything other than sport
-LKA! Unusable/dangerous on country lanes so remembering to disable each time is a PITA
-Infotainment /settings bugs - one pedal mode kept dropping out when cycling through the drive modes (on x-power only) - Carplay crashed about 7 times (using the suggested anker high speed cable - blank screen whilst driving - software on R46 so a bit disappointing)
-Quality of sound from factory head unit disappointing even after playing with all settings
-Headlights large black shadow on main beam (almost like a gap in illumination between dipped pattern and high beam pattern - dealer reckons it's an adjustment issue?)
-Overall efficiency not great (but not representative as we were 'having fun' but obviously won't see the 4+kWh/mile of the Tesla)
-Lack of lumbar support on seats

What was striking driving them back-to-back was how much better the x-power felt. Just having the alcantara material on the seats made them feel far less 'cheap' than the LR. The steering on the x-power was heaver in all modes than the LR which was welcome. Pulling out of greasy road junctions was a revelation with the AWD of the x-power and the overtaking punch was lovely.
Yes the back end of the x-power isn't as playful as the LR and the range compromised but the positives outweigh the negatives between the 2 models massively.

Did some dual carriageway stuff in the x-power and didn't find the dreaded vibration/resonance at 70mph - I think there was a very slight resonance rumble from the chassis at this speed but if I hadn't read about it on this forum, I wouldn't have noticed it. Must be a good one but I could live with it on this particular car if I did own it.

So weekend just gone, we had a 12 hour test drive in a Trophy LR followed by an hours test drive in an X-Power at our local dealers (Howards in Yeovil - very helpful). It was wet for both drives (although did get half an hour of dry roads in the X-Power). Did 250 miles in the LR and 45 miles in X-power

Initial thoughts -

Good points summary first:-

-Surprisingly well built - feels solid - no squeaks and rattles in either car (X-power had 6k miles on clock) - much better built than our Fremont built Tesla
-Playful back-end, especially in the wet with the LR which was a pleasant surprise.
-Generally very quiet up to 60mph (quieter than the Tesla)
-Relaxing and easy to drive
-Good overall size (particularly for the rural lanes where we live) - good packaging overall.
-Grin inducing performance & grip (well on the X-Power at least!)

Bad points

-Steering absolutely no feel or feedback and comically light on LR in anything other than sport
-LKA! Unusable/dangerous on country lanes so remembering to disable each time is a PITA
-Infotainment /settings bugs - one pedal mode kept dropping out when cycling through the drive modes (on x-power only) - Carplay crashed about 7 times (using the suggested anker high speed cable - blank screen whilst driving - software on R46 so a bit disappointing)
-Quality of sound from factory head unit disappointing even after playing with all settings
-Headlights large black shadow on main beam (almost like a gap in illumination between dipped pattern and high beam pattern - dealer reckons it's an adjustment issue?)
-Overall efficiency not great (but not representative as we were 'having fun' but obviously won't see the 4+kw/mile of the tesla)
-Lack of lumbar support on seats

What was striking driving them back-to-back was how much better the x-power felt. Just having the alcantara material on the seats made them feel far less 'cheap' than the LR. The steering on the x-power was heaver in all modes than the LR which was welcome. Pulling out of greasy road junctions was a revelation with the AWD of the x-power and the overtaking punch was lovely.
Yes the back end of the x-power isn't as playful as the LR and the range compromised but the positives outweigh the negatives between the 2 models massively.

Did some dual carriageway stuff in the x-power and didn't find the dreaded vibration/resonance at 70mph - I think there was a very slight resonance rumble from the chassis at this speed but if I hadn't read about it on this forum, I wouldn't have noticed it. Must be a good one but I could live with it on this particular car if I did own it.
So its an X Power, then? 🙂

Like you, one of my first surprises was how nice and well built it seemed.

If the dash material had made its way to the top of the door, then I would have no complaints at all.

Also the ride was excellent all things considered.
Recently had a brand new MG3 loaner.
Shockingly bad suspension!
I genuinely thought it was broken at the rear!

Agree with the size.
After a few large SUVs it's nice to be able to fit into a space and 'just' park.

We all know sound is subjective, but a fiddle on the EQ and virtual subwoofer gets it to what I'm happy with.

Caveat, sounds best for me playing Spotify through Android Auto.

One if the first things I did was find a wall and adjust my headlights.

I don't know who's doing it at the factory but they want shooting.

Hang on a minute, it's China, so they probably have been.

You are not the first to not feel any vibes.
I still feel them and a change of road surface can feel exactly the same.

Also agree that the seats are lacking support!

But overall you seem to have liked it.👍

So its an X Power, then? 🙂
It makes the least sense so absolutely ;)
Luckily Helen thought the same (although I may have glossed over the range issues a little bit)

I think we've decided to go for an x-power in the green - lots of great deals with huge chunks off RRP on autotrader.

Interesting discussion with the dealer after the test drives - he had a new green x-power in stock so I assumed he'd be up for a negotiation on price. I mentioned the price I had in mind based on autotrader prices (including new cars in stock at other localish dealers) - he immediately told us to buy it from the other dealer as he wouldn't be able to get near the price. Said he'd be making a loss on the sale at the price they'd advertised and said they must be selling at loss too as all dealers paid they same price for cars from MG UK. All very odd but good for us I guess.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom