Thank goodness for lidl... charging at home stopped

iipboss

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi, I have had EV4 for nearly a year and never had any problems charging at home. However recently (on the new app) I have been unable to charge. I have a Pod Point Solo charger. I have scheduled charging set up on the app and althoguh it has worked without fail before it has now stopped.

A look through this forum suggested I ignore the app and set up the schedule on the head unit in the car - so I tried that. Alas just the same. Nothing. The upshot was as I was less than 10% I had to go and charge at Lidl.

We also have a Tesla and which charges okay using car schedule on the home pod charger.

I think I have ruled out the app being the cause, the charger not working and the car having a fault and I am absolutely stuck!

When I plug in the car starts to charge then stops (I hear the pod charger switch off) I assume as waiting for schedule time to arrive? but nothing happens.

Is there a way to reset everything, or any other suggestions gratefully received!

Thank you.

Morning,

Have a read through this thread, Zappi failing to charge car to 80% (Edit update: Not a problem with Zappi. Issue with AC charging/New CCU ordered)

You potentially have a CCU issue, firstly I would delete all schedules in the car and pod point and see if you can charge, if not try another 7kw or even your granny charger.

Double check with your Tesla again to see if the pod point charger is 100% working and if so contact your dealer.

Also, you mention the "new app" are you referring to ismart ? you don't need the app to see if the car is charging.

Hope this helps

Agreed sounds like a CCU failure which presumably means the car is an early long range/Trophy with the 3 phase charging and no rear wiper?

Correct. I don’t have a rear wiper and it is long range. The bit that has confused me is the fact it charged at Lidl though. Although that was using the charge cable where had to remove bottom plug in order to attach cable.

Is there an easy way to delete the scheudle? Or simply just toggle off charging?

Correct. I don’t have a rear wiper and it is long range. The bit that has confused me is the fact it charged at Lidl though. Although that was using the charge cable where had to remove bottom plug in order to attach cable.

Is there an easy way to delete the scheudle? Or simply just toggle off charging?

Have a read through the thread I linked above as that will clear things up, DC charging remains fine

Your profile shows an SE SR, but you have an SE LR? If yes, and it is a Phase 1 car (no rear wiper or middle head rest, and with pins in the L2 and L3 slots of the Type 2 port) then it is highly likely that yours is suffering the CCU issue per that other thread. At least one person has had the CCU replaced and it appears to have fixed the issue.

The bottom 2 pins underneath the cover you remove are for DC charging ... this largely bypasses the CCU, or at least the part that is giving issues for AC charging.

The upshot was as I was less than 10% I had to go and charge at Lidl.
So, the Lidi is a D/C rapid charger then ?.
I ask only because our local Lidl has two A/C units installed.
IF the Lidi unit IS a D/C rapid unitt and it charged just fine, then strongly suggests that there is problem on the A/C side of the charging system on the car.
Have you tried the supplied Granny charger?.
If this reacts in the same way as the wall box, then there is another pointer that the problem is the with the car.
If on the other hand the unit at Lidl IS a A/C unit, that is another story.
It’s just a process of elimination.

That was a DC charge, with this issue AC charging only is affected.

The typical symptoms take a few days to emerge with progressively shorter charging times until it stops charging almost immediately with any charger.

To verify you have this fault:
  • Test your home charger more thoroughly with another car to verify it is not a fault of the charger.
  • Use a granny charger or another AC charger to verify the same faulty behaviour of your car.
  • Test your car on another DC charger to make sure DC charging still works and will not terminate before 97% (the usual limit of DC charging).

If it is consistent with all of the tests then you probably have the CCU fault. Contact your dealer and talk them through all the tests you have done, it is essential you convince them this is not user error (I gave mine written information on what I had tested).

There is a new supply of replacement CCUs in the country so it should not take too long to fix but your biggest challenge will probably be getting your dealer to pinpoint the issue - they may ask you to try software updates first. Insist that they test the charging on their dealer charger first, to save you a pointless extra visit.

Your profile shows an SE SR, but you have an SE LR? If yes, and it is a Phase 1 car (no rear wiper or middle head rest, and with pins in the L2 and L3 slots of the Type 2 port) then it is highly likely that yours is suffering the CCU issue per that other thread. At least one person has had the CCU replaced and it appears to have fixed the issue.

The bottom 2 pins underneath the cover you remove are for DC charging ... this largely bypasses the CCU, or at least the part that is giving issues for AC charging.
Sorry - I had selected the wrong profile on my set up . It is in fact adn EV4 LR Trophy. Now corrected.

Firstly, can I say what an incredible helpful forum this is - thank you to everyone who has provided advice.

I have read the Zappi charger issue thread (although I have a Pod Point) and it sounds like I have the same issue as everyone else with cars about a year old.

Tonight I have plugged in however and it has started to charge albeit this is the first time in a week on the home AC charger.

From reading above it sounds like it is going to get shorter or fail sometime soon though so I will book it in to the dealer and explain problem I have had.

Although it sounds like a daft question - can I take to any authorised dealer?

I bought from Perry's in Aylesbury but that it is not handy as I live in Reading and there are WLMG Reading and Bulldog - Twyford both nearer.

Also a number of posts refer to software upgrades. Am I right in thinking the dealer has to do this and it is not something you can do yourself over the air?

Hopefully it will keep charging tonight as to be without car would be a problem although it sounds like most people have been given a courtesy car.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, can I say what an incredible helpful forum this is - thank you to everyone who has provided advice.

I have read the Zappi charger issue thread (althouh I have a Pod Point) and it sounds like I have the same issue as everyone else with cars about a year old.

Tonight I have plugged in however and it has started to charge albeit this is the first time in a week on the home AC charger.

From reading above it sounds like it is going to get shorter or fail sometime soon though so I will book it in to the dealer and explain problem I have had.

Although it sounds like a daft question - can I take to any authorised dealer?

I bought from Perry's in Aylesbury but that it is not handy as I live in Reading and there are WLMG Reading and Bulldog - Twyford both nearer.

Also a number of posts refer to software upgrades. Am I right in thinking the dealer has to do this and it is not something you can do yourself over the air?

Hopefully it will keep charging tonight as to be without car would be a problem although it sounds like most people have been given a courtesy car.

Thanks again.
You can take it to any MG dealer. I would advise using whichever dealer is most forthcoming and helpful, even if not the nearest.

Yes the dealer has to do the updates, there is no over-the-air facility yet.

So long as DC charging is still working there is no reason for you to be without your car, you can charge at a public DC charger, though obviously it will be more expensive than home charging.

Interestingly my charger shows as charging at only 1.6 kW surely this show be nearer 7 kW. Do people think a faulty CCU may throttle down "demand"?

Hmm, you could check in that other thread whether anyone reported seeing that. I'd certainly be expecting something like 6.5 kW from a home charger. (I see 1.9 kW on the granny lead!)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel