Thank me later... (engineering menu)

I just came back from the carpark (I'm at work;)). I entered to "config", then select "features" than tried to change a 0 to 1, but it just wouldn't do anything. I might have to get to check the ascii codes in the first page (not features, the other one, "codes" probably). Back to the carpark

I just came back from the carpark (I'm at work;)). I entered to "config", then select "features" than tried to change a 0 to 1, but it just wouldn't do anything. I might have to get to check the ascii codes in the first page (not features, the other one, "codes" probably). Back to the carpark
If hotspot turns on i'll be very happy.

Ok, had a play at lunch time, and got to a familiar screen.

Tap the bottom right corner of the engineering screen 5 times and a password box pops up.
No idea what the code is ..... yet
IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

Once someone has worked out how to access the OTA updates and publishes the procedure I reckon MG will be on to it straight away and add another step at the MG server end with some form of encryption so it will fail. This may in fact already be there & no-one has been able to get that far yet. They will want to protect their dealers source of continuing revenue.

This is one of the reasons that car dealers do not like EVs. They get a commission for the sale but their bread & butter is service and maintenance. Tesla have OTA but their purchase & ownership model is completely different as they do not have dealers just approved service agents. ICE cars will get serviced 1-2 times a year & with MG EVs it is once every 2 years. Teslas have no service regime at all.

Well, we aren't all the way in yet but i'm still learning a lot.
Being able to export the Android logs to a USB is quite revealing.

First of all, all the models seem to have the wifi built in (my 51 certainly does), so it should be possible to turn on the hotspot and such. In fact, it looks like all the models have the same basic infotainment unit with the differences being software locked. (except for obvious stuff like missing surround cameras)

This is the system MG has built on:
Mediatek Autus I20 (MT2712)

We've got 4gb of ram and the mine is only using 1gb since it doesn't have the nav app.

The logs are getting spammed with gps data debugging turned on, I wonder if that's part of the reason it's a bit sluggish?
It downloaded 2GB of logs to the USB and that only seems to be for a few days!

I wonder how far i'd get asking SAIC/MG to supply the open source code they've used :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
It's not 200519 - just tried it. 😐

PS - mine was showing 0.8GB used of 3.79GB ... I guess some of the RAM is reserved. (Or it is 4GB in terms of 4,000,000,000 Bytes rather than 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 4,294,967,296 Bytes)

Progress is good though. Someone will work out what everything does and how to change things at some point. Getting access is definitely a step in the right direction…

I wonder how far i'd get asking SAIC/MG to supply the open source code they've used :ROFLMAO:

I took a Tesla Model Y for a test drive last week, and chatting with the sales man, he said the three leading Chinese manufacturer (BYD, GWM and MG) have a common, "open source" system what they using on the infotainment unit. I guess he has a very little knowledge about what open source means. He might were referring to the three brand shares resources, but I doubt it would be really open source.
You never know, you might get lucky... I gave up trying pass codes though... Another route, to get the SAIC VDS. It is on MHHAUTO (I have the link if you interested).

I'm not sure whether THIS one could be any helpful or not. Anyone has experience with them, or their product?
Possibly the same as the manual still available to download from one of the links in this post…

General Workshop Manual

I took a Tesla Model Y for a test drive last week, and chatting with the sales man, he said the three leading Chinese manufacturer (BYD, GWM and MG) have a common, "open source" system what they using on the infotainment unit. I guess he has a very little knowledge about what open source means. He might were referring to the three brand shares resources, but I doubt it would be really open source.
You never know, you might get lucky... I gave up trying pass codes though... Another route, to get the SAIC VDS. It is on MHHAUTO (I have the link if you interested).
In theory Android is open source.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 517 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel