The Best charger I have used YES ho YES

Hi, Les,
You can set up Autocharge in the Fastned app. If you go into the app, somewhere there (in my profile possibly or somewhere, is a bit to 'Learn about Autocharge' and set it up. Probably easier to read that than me explain for the whole details. It has disappeared from my app as I have already set it up up even though I've never used Fastned.
Basically what it does is after you agree to it, first time you use Fastned then it remembers your car and your payment details from the app. So next time you use Fastned, you just plug it in and it starts charging....just like a Tesla on a supercharger. :) It does work for MGs.
Took a look at the Fastned app and the idea looks very good but in the UK according to the App there are 13 sites at the moment and none anywhere near to me so I won’t bother with the app but many thanks for the information it might well be of use to someone I hope they will set others up in the Uk as there are many in Europe.
Les

Took a look at the Fastned app and the idea looks very good but in the UK according to the App there are 13 sites at the moment and none anywhere near to me so I won’t bother with the app but many thanks for the information it might well be of use to someone I hope they will set others up in the Uk as there are many in Europe.
Les
I have kept the app as I'm not bothered that there aren't any near me because like you Les I charge at home so a nearby rapid is not needed.
However there is a cluster around the Newcastle area, which will be ideal for me going to / returning from the north east of England or even Edinburgh way, when I get round to it, and also the one at Oxford could be ideal for travel to the south coast for me.

Yeh I might use them maybe once a year if And when I go to Glasgow again.
In this video below I only found yesterday the guy who I do follow like his stuff make a mention of these charging hub a few times a a trip to Paris last weekend he seems also pretty impressed by Fastned and gives a good report on the BYD atto3.
Les

I've only done two trips where I had to charge away from home, and both were done in fine weather. No problems. But I'm genuinely worried about winter travel, particularly my Christmas trip to Yorkshire. I seriously don't fancy getting out of the car to charge in torrential rain, high winds and freezing temperatures. I'd never have worried about that with my ICE cars, because my expectation that the petrol pumps would be under cover has never been disappointed. But EV chargers? What do they think we are? Poikilothermic and amphibious?

I took this up on Twitter with Gridserve, when they were gleefully yet punting another new installation, and got the reply that they were too busy installing as many new chargers as possible to worry about such trivialities as their customers getting soaked, frozen and blown away. (I paraphrase.) This is ridiculously short-sighted. If EV driving is to become the norm they are going to have to consider people who lack the pioneering spirit and will simply walk away when they realise what conditions can be like at public charge points.

It's so encouraging to see some companies taking this seriously, and hopefully they'll see enough commercial benefit from the initiative to encourager les autres.

In this video below I only found yesterday the guy who I do follow like his stuff make a mention of these charging hub a few times a a trip to Paris last weekend he seems also pretty impressed by Fastned and gives a good report on the BYD atto3.
Les
Hi Les - I like Johnathan P’s videos, he posts some really good content.
In the early days, he did some great video’s with James ( of James & Kate fame ).

I've only done two trips where I had to charge away from home, and both were done in fine weather. No problems. But I'm genuinely worried about winter travel, particularly my Christmas trip to Yorkshire. I seriously don't fancy getting out of the car to charge in torrential rain, high winds and freezing temperatures. I'd never have worried about that with my ICE cars, because my expectation that the petrol pumps would be under cover has never been disappointed. But EV chargers? What do they think we are? Poikilothermic and amphibious?

I took this up on Twitter with Gridserve, when they were gleefully yet punting another new installation, and got the reply that they were too busy installing as many new chargers as possible to worry about such trivialities as their customers getting soaked, frozen and blown away. (I paraphrase.) This is ridiculously short-sighted. If EV driving is to become the norm they are going to have to consider people who lack the pioneering spirit and will simply walk away when they realise what conditions can be like at public charge points.

It's so encouraging to see some companies taking this seriously, and hopefully they'll see enough commercial benefit from the initiative to encourager les autres.
I agree and hope things might improve the Fastned one I posted about is a least covered with solar panels giving a little weather protection and of course electricity when the suns out so why aren’t others doing the same maddening
Les

Just got back from a 200 mile trip to Scotland in my MG5 trophy edition
Left home on 100% 325 miles on Gom??
View attachment 19808

And after around 145 miles of motorway driving I was down to around 40 % 112 miles so stopped for a toilet break and a coffee and plugged in to a gridserve 50 kw job at Annandale water services on the M74 only one there 19 kw being fed as a leaf was also on charge on the same post so after 15 or so minutes I decided to give that up to get on my way now on 50% 125 miles so got to Hamilton and found this Superb Fastned charging hub 8 ccs and some Chademo as well, 300kw units undercover of solar panels and great lighting fantastic set up well done to Fastned and Hamilton local council.
View attachment 19798

View attachment 19802

View attachment 19799

View attachment 19801

Plugged in with my car on 34% and in less than 5 minutes the car was charging at 86.8% and do so for the first 10 minutes and slowly started to come down after 30 minutes I was at 82 % 199 miles so I unplugged and went on my way for my last few miles to my destination in East Kilbride

Had had no need to charge again while I was there until I was coming back home and I used the same charge station again to charge from 40- 91% for my journey home again, it did charge a bit slower this time as the battery was cold but still done in less than 45 minutes 65p pkwh not to bad as some are now around 75-80p
Les
I also visited Hamilton this week whilst driving from Reading to Fort William and back. These chargers were a highlight, charging my Trophy at almost 140KW!

Attachments

• Fastned Hamilton .png
    Fastned Hamilton .png
    364 KB · Views: 53
I also visited Hamilton this week whilst driving from Reading to Fort William and back. These chargers were a highlight, charging my Trophy at almost 140KW!
Hi Bluemotor thank you for you picture of you app and yes it’s great 140 kw charge rate but can I ask in what car ? I’m guessing at that rate it’s an MG4 so that is at it maximum as my MG5 trophy was at 87kw so I’m guessing your in the 4
Les

Hi Bluemotor thank you for you picture of you app and yes it’s great 140 kw charge rate but can I ask in what car ? I’m guessing at that rate it’s an MG4 so that is at it maximum as my MG5 trophy was at 87kw so I’m guessing your in the 4
Les
Sorry, Yes it's an MG4 Long Range Trophy. The quoted maximum for the car is only 135KW, so getting near 140KW was an added bonus!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom