The Best charger I have used YES ho YES

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just got back from a 200 mile trip to Scotland in my MG5 trophy edition
Left home on 100% 325 miles on Gom??
IMG_5897.jpeg

And after around 145 miles of motorway driving I was down to around 40 % 112 miles so stopped for a toilet break and a coffee and plugged in to a gridserve 50 kw job at Annandale water services on the M74 only one there 19 kw being fed as a leaf was also on charge on the same post so after 15 or so minutes I decided to give that up to get on my way now on 50% 125 miles so got to Hamilton and found this Superb Fastned charging hub 8 ccs and some Chademo as well, 300kw units undercover of solar panels and great lighting fantastic set up well done to Fastned and Hamilton local council.
IMG_5946.jpeg

IMG_5942.jpeg

IMG_5905.jpeg

IMG_5949.jpeg

Plugged in with my car on 34% and in less than 5 minutes the car was charging at 86.8% and do so for the first 10 minutes and slowly started to come down after 30 minutes I was at 82 % 199 miles so I unplugged and went on my way for my last few miles to my destination in East Kilbride

Had had no need to charge again while I was there until I was coming back home and I used the same charge station again to charge from 40- 91% for my journey home again, it did charge a bit slower this time as the battery was cold but still done in less than 45 minutes 65p pkwh not to bad as some are now around 75-80p
Les

Attachments

• IMG_5959.jpeg
    IMG_5959.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5890.png
    IMG_5890.png
    360.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I'm guessing you didn't set up Autocharge (plug in - charge just like Teslas) on your first use. It would have been good to see it in action on your return leg. If I ever get to use Fastned I look forward to trying it.

I'm guessing you didn't set up Autocharge (plug in - charge just like Teslas) on your first use. It would have been good to see it in action on your return leg. If I ever get to use Fastned I look forward to trying it.
Hi Gomev I’m not sure what you mean with Autocharge enlighten me please do.

I think the reason it peaked at around 42kw was as I said the battery was cold as I had only driven around 8-10 miles where as on the way up it had done around 190 miles
IMG_5947.jpeg

IMG_5953.jpeg

IMG_5956.jpeg

And at the end of the journey 14% 40 miles left.
Les.
IMG_5958.jpeg

Last edited:
Annandale Water. I looked in there in May just to see what they had, because it's a nice service station that has recently been upgraded, and it's in a good position for me to get a last charge before home if I haven't quite got the range.

A couple of old Gridserves. But. Next to the chargers a section of car park was being dug up with screens and fences round it, and I formed the opinion that more chargers were about to be installed. Maybe Applegreen was moving in there, as it has at Gretna and Abington, to supplement the old Gridserves. So, was I wrong? No sign of any improvements three months later?

Last edited:
We don't use fast chargers regularly, but have nevertheless tried a fair few (ionity, gridserve, instavolt). But the best so far in my opinion has been fastned. Tried one in UK, 3 in France. Plenty of plugs and always 350kw (zsev LR always draws up to over 80) One problem I have found is that they are not always listed on aggregation sites, so worth checking the FastNed app. Only used electroverse to activate so far. Reasonable pricing too especially in France.

Annandale Water. I looked in there in May just to see what they had, because it's a nice service station that has recently been upgraded, and it's in a good position for me to get a last charge before home if I haven't quite got the range.

A couple of old Gridserves. But. Next to the chargers a section of car park was being dug up with screens and fences round it, and I formed the opinion that more chargers were about to be installed. Maybe Applegreen was moving in there, as it has at Gretna and Abington, to supplement the old Gridserves. So, was I wrong? No sign of any improvements three months later?
Well Rolfe I posted this last week in the other thread yes this is some movement but not yet completely done I spoke to one of the guys working on it and he told me should be in service in the next couple of weeks they are Gridserve and I think could be the latest 350kw units
Les
C5250F57-A81D-49E4-BF87-EE00924D010C.jpeg

We don't use fast chargers regularly, but have nevertheless tried a fair few (ionity, gridserve, instavolt). But the best so far in my opinion has been fastned. Tried one in UK, 3 in France. Plenty of plugs and always 350kw (zsev LR always draws up to over 80) One problem I have found is that they are not always listed on aggregation sites, so worth checking the FastNed app. Only used electroverse to activate so far. Reasonable pricing too especially in France.
Yes I agree this is the first time I have ever seen one only one slight down side which is the unit will take a £40 payment from your card in contactless payments right away, both my charges where for less than £25 but the difference was refunded inside 24 hrs, being under cover and well lit is much better than any charge point I have ever used to be honest and at reasonable pricing. I hope they are to install many more.
Les.

Well Rolfe I posted this last week in the other thread yes this is some movement but not yet completely done I spoke to one of the guys working on it and he told me should be in service in the next couple of weeks they are Gridserve and I think could be the latest 350kw units
Les
View attachment 19837

Ah, I didn't see your other post. That looks excellent and I think it could become a habitual stop for me. Gretna is soul-less and Abington is just too near home - by the time I'm there I just want to get on. And I get on very well with Gridserve chargers, whereas Applegreen have tended to be a problem for me. Annandale Water has been a favoured stop even in my petrol car, so it's good that it's going to be a practical one in the EV too.

Ah, I didn't see your other post. That looks excellent and I think it could become a habitual stop for me. Gretna is soul-less and Abington is just too near home - by the time I'm there I just want to get on. And I get on very well with Gridserve chargers, whereas Applegreen have tended to be a problem for me. Annandale Water has been a favoured stop even in my petrol car, so it's good that it's going to be a practical one in the EV too.
By the way
These are on the northbound no idea about the south bound had no need to stop.
Les.

Actually, all the services there are on the southbound side, but they are accessible from the northbound carriageway through an underpass. I would only be using this as a northbound stop, as it's far too soon for me to need a break when travelling south from home.

1693162562524.png

Annandale is 22 miles north of Gretna Green ... I'll try to remember next time I've been down to the homeland and am heading back north, as I usually stop at Gretna. :)

If Annandale Water had been a runner the other week I might not have stayed at Burton-in-Kendal for quite so long (I went to 94%) to make sure I could get home. A quick stop there would fit in very well. It's somewhere I've stopped at several times in my Golf, because it's quite nice - also including on one memorable occasion involving the A68 being closed so I couldn't get to Carter Bar, and driving through thick fog to make it across the Pennines to the M6, leading to a conversation that went "Are you OK?" "No, I'm not, I'm just looking for some way off this damn motorway to find coffee, and then YOU are driving." I could actually have done with the LKA that afternoon.

Knowing that there were only a couple of ancient Gridserves there has made me avoid it like the plague in the MG4, but as soon as these new units are confirmed up and running it's back on the agenda.

Hi Gomev I’m not sure what you mean with Autocharge enlighten me please do.

I think the reason it peaked at around 42kw was as I said the battery was cold as I had only driven around 8-10 miles where as on the way up it had done around 190 miles
Hi, Les,
You can set up Autocharge in the Fastned app. If you go into the app, somewhere there (in my profile possibly or somewhere, is a bit to 'Learn about Autocharge' and set it up. Probably easier to read that than me explain for the whole details. It has disappeared from my app as I have already set it up up even though I've never used Fastned.
Basically what it does is after you agree to it, first time you use Fastned then it remembers your car and your payment details from the app. So next time you use Fastned, you just plug it in and it starts charging....just like a Tesla on a supercharger. :) It does work for MGs.

Yes I agree this is the first time I have ever seen one only one slight down side which is the unit will take a £40 payment from your card in contactless payments right away, both my charges where for less than £25 but the difference was refunded inside 24 hrs, being under cover and well lit is much better than any charge point I have ever used to be honest and at reasonable pricing. I hope they are to install many more.
Les.
No £40 payment if you pay with Electroverse.

I used an Applegreen charger that said on the front it would take a £40 pre-authorisation debit, but when I checked my bank account the only thing that was there was the debit for what I had actually used. Unlike a previous encounter with Applegreen where the charger decided it didn't like the car - three times - and I ended up with £90 frozen in my account's pending file for several days.

Hi, Les,
You can set up Autocharge in the Fastned app. If you go into the app, somewhere there (in my profile possibly or somewhere, is a bit to 'Learn about Autocharge' and set it up. Probably easier to read that than me explain for the whole details. It has disappeared from my app as I have already set it up up even though I've never used Fastned.
Basically what it does is after you agree to it, first time you use Fastned then it remembers your car and your payment details from the app. So next time you use Fastned, you just plug it in and it starts charging....just like a Tesla on a supercharger. :) It does work for MGs.
Thank you for that I will have a look, first one I have ever come across but good very good

No £40 payment if you pay with Electroverse.
Never gave that a thought and I do have there card.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom