• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

The grass isn’t always greener

Just seeing that a few people are having problems with low charge on the 12V battery in the Kona. We’re not alone!

It's been the same with the last three generations of the Prius, Gen 2, 3 and occasionally the Gen 4.

After seeing a lot of issues being raised with the ZS EV, I thought it would be good to redress the balance a bit. There are problems with every EV out there. For example:
  • i3, IPace and others not charging on some CCS Rapids.
  • Audi Etron getting 2.5mi/kWh or less.
  • Peugeot E208 shipping with the driver aids. (ACC) completely missing. The parking assist has now been deleted from all models for this year!
  • And of course, Nissan Leafs cooking on rapid charge.
Yes I know the bongs are/were annoying, the delayed charge took some sorting out and MGUK could be a better in supporting dealers and customers with updates, but at least fundamentally the car works. Even the range seems close to what was claimed.

Let’s post what’s good about our cars here, and maybe have a little dig at all the others while we’re at it! ?
Well said. I have had many cars in my 73 years and this one is in the top three, might even be number one. Yes, it has it's faults, as do I, but I have yet to find a perfect car.

Just to add after a month and a trip to the dealer to get the latest module updates:

this car is good. it goes as far as I need between charges. It carries the people and dogs and things I need it to. It’s quiet and lovey to drive. It’s red. It charges when I want it to and I can unlock the doors and run the HVAC while it’s charging at home.

Get all the updates done and enjoy!

Just to add after a month and a trip to the dealer to get the latest module updates:

this car is good. it goes as far as I need between charges. It carries the people and dogs and things I need it to. It’s quiet and lovey to drive. It’s red. It charges when I want it to and I can unlock the doors and run the HVAC while it’s charging at home.

Get all the updates done and enjoy!
Nothing to argue with there! :unsure: Except maybe your choice of colour :ROFLMAO: (y)

Nothing to argue with there! :unsure: Except maybe your choice of colour :ROFLMAO: (y)
1F7BCF60-0FD2-4A4E-ACE7-D512A6EDDA10.jpeg

I agree.
I was looking at going from the Prius to the qashqai for the height/modern safety kit.
I've always wanted a pure EV but the price stopped me, I can't afford 30k.
I was looking at top spec qashqai demonstrator for around 19k.
My mate jokingly said about the MG, I tried the petrols and they were awful, but cheap.
I then tried the EV.
Swappage deal and some haggling at month/quarter end and it only cost me around 2k more than the qashqai would have.

My mate is into VWs and was looking at Scirocco GTs for £16k I imagine he may begin rethinking when I pick the car up and go show him on Thursday.

I see people comparing to the Kona, yes, it's sexier externally, yes bigger battery. But. It's at least 10k more than the price I paid and you won't get it for 6-8 months from ordering.

I found it not unlike the E Niro albeit with test drives 12 months apart.

But 3 things are better about the MG:
  • Lower price
  • Shiny red
  • You can get one
Range is lower, but I did the maths and it’s just not an issue. There’s enough to cover what I need so I’ll take the lighter car and a real kick up the bum in sport mode.
Agree!

Prior to the ZS EV coming on the scene. I was considering waiting a couple of years for the Tesla Model Y, to arrive (here in Australia) then replace our aging Audi Q5 (diesel).
Siting in the ZS (albeit the petrol version) was not all that dissimilar to the ambiance of the Audi. OK the Model Y is in a different league, but when it came down to what we actually and realistically needed was already included in the MG, it ticked most of the boxes.
Apart from extended range, there are a number of features that the ZS EV has that the Model Y does not have. Here's a few:

• The ZS EV has provision for a space-saver spare wheel under the boot floor.
  • It has cross traffic alert when reversing.
  • It has blind-spot traffic warning lights in the side mirrors
  • It has a built-in electric shade curtain for the sun roof.
  • The rear seat backs can be easily removed to enable more storage capacity.
  • Half the price of the Tesla
  • Arguably better build quality
  • And yes they are available!

Having just re-read this thread...nothing much has changed. The other EV's still seem to have their share of problems.
My good friend bought a Leaf late last year...it's been back to the dealers umpteen times...he's tried different dealers too, still cant get all the electrical featerures working properly....took Nissan to the ombudsman to get a partial refund! Very poor service for such an established manufacturer.

I watched a test drive video of the new VW ID3??? the other day...that threw up unexpected computer issues too.

My point is, yes MG get it wrong occasionally, but who doesn't ? WE basically have a great product and for me if it just had a bit more range, it would be absolutally perfect. As it is, I still love it. :)

Having just re-read this thread...nothing much has changed. The other EV's still seem to have their share of problems.
My good friend bought a Leaf late last year...it's been back to the dealers umpteen times...he's tried different dealers too, still cant get all the electrical featerures working properly....took Nissan to the ombudsman to get a partial refund! Very poor service for such an established manufacturer.

I watched a test drive video of the new VW ID3??? the other day...that threw up unexpected computer issues too.

My point is is, yes MG get it wrong occasionally, but who doesn't ? WE basically have a great product and for me if it just had a bit more range, it would be absolutally perfect. As it is, I still love it. :)
I’m sure the version 2 will have more range and I’m sticking with my MG for the time it’s a good little car and I still say even with some of the issues exceptionally good value and entry in to the world of EV for me.

After seeing a lot of issues being raised with the ZS EV, I thought it would be good to redress the balance a bit. There are problems with every EV out there. For example:
  • i3, IPace and others not charging on some CCS Rapids.
  • Audi Etron getting 2.5mi/kWh or less.
  • Peugeot E208 shipping with the driver aids. (ACC) completely missing. The parking assist has now been deleted from all models for this year!
  • And of course, Nissan Leafs cooking on rapid charge.
Yes I know the bongs are/were annoying, the delayed charge took some sorting out and MGUK could be a better in supporting dealers and customers with updates, but at least fundamentally the car works. Even the range seems close to what was claimed.

Let’s post what’s good about our cars here, and maybe have a little dig at all the others while we’re at it! ?
According to latest news the kona is ideal for starting barbecues

SNIP>>>>
My mate is into VWs and was looking at Scirocco GTs for £16k I imagine he may begin rethinking when I pick the car up and go show him on Thursday.

I see people comparing to the Kona, yes, it's sexier externally, yes bigger battery. But. It's at least 10k more than the price I paid and you won't get it for 6-8 months from ordering.
Coedy...I see you've had your car about a month now.....how are you getting on with it?

Another thumbs up as well I was watching a YouTube video albeit an Indian one were the commentator had a drag race firstly with a Hyundai against the ZS twice the MG WON both times so they then put it up against a Skoda Superb 2.0ltr ice car again it won beating It with a car length to spare. The fastest run was 7.96 seconds 👍😀

Has anyone seen the new advert on terrestrial TV and YouTube here in Blighty?
And so the onslaught begins, MG are going to dominate the lower end of the EV market if they’re clever.

Well, the one thing I don't like about the zs, it's the lack of a trailer hitch. Being able to haul a small trailer would have been nice. 750kg trailer weight is plenty, and would let the zs be the only car I drive.
But as I use a trailer 4-5 times a year (yeah, i know, not mutch), I still need another car to haul that with.

But then again, we kept the Panda for that reason, and additionally the missus can have a car the 2-3 times a month when she wants to take a tripp to town while i am at work. 😁
(During the pandemic even less of that ofcourse)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom