Yes it’s really getting out of hand for some but as I have written before everyone’s different so you need to shop around. My wife’s MG4 Se Sr was £356 last year renewal as come for £584 same insurance company as ian above this Aviva 23 days before I had a look at the comparison sites several of them could not get it any cheaper than a couple of pounds anyway and Aviva on one comparison sites was £771 !!!.
So we rang Aviva to ask why the quote was over £200 more than last year and was told that is the currant trend in insurance cost at the moment in the end we ask if they could do and better if we remove the loan car can’t do that they said standard on there policy’s
So no claims protection yes that can be removed give a £18 reduction
Increase of voluntary excess yes that can be done so £150 more in excess reduce the cost by £52 so that’s what we went with £532 for her MG4 Se Sr no claims no accidents nothing that car was £26995 i think it was my own MG5 trophy was around £34000 and my insurance was £518 I wrote about that see #102
Les

Yes it’s really getting out of hand for some but as I have written before everyone’s different so you need to shop around. My wife’s MG4 Se Sr was £356 last year renewal as come for £584 same insurance company as ian above this Aviva 23 days before I had a look at the comparison sites several of them could not get it any cheaper than a couple of pounds anyway and Aviva on one comparison sites was £771 !!!.
So we rang Aviva to ask why the quote was over £200 more than last year and was told that is the currant trend in insurance cost at the moment in the end we ask if they could do and better if we remove the loan car can’t do that they said standard on there policy’s
So no claims protection yes that can be removed give a £18 reduction
Increase of voluntary excess yes that can be done so £150 more in excess reduce the cost by £52 so that’s what we went with £532 for her MG4 Se Sr no claims no accidents nothing that car was £26995 i think it was my own MG5 trophy was around £34000 and my insurance was £518 I wrote about that see #102
Les
Sadly it is a matter of looking at the addons in detail. I noticed on one of my quotes there was wrong fuel correction. I forget the exact name but it was basically cover if you put the wrong fuel in the car. e.g. diesel in a non diesel car. I did point out it was an electric car and the guy on the phone laughed and removed it.

I was thinking about the insurance hikes, and wondered if it was the inferred high probability of EV's catching fire which has got the underwriters twitchy. Crash damaged write offs can be stripped down for parts, which recoups some of the money. A burnt wreck has no secondary value except maybe for metal recycling.

I was thinking about the insurance hikes, and wondered if it was the inferred high probability of EV's catching fire which has got the underwriters twitchy. Crash damaged write offs can be stripped down for parts, which recoups some of the money. A burnt wreck has no secondary value except maybe for metal recycling.
To be fair it is insurance in general not just EV. My misses has a Fiat 500 petrol on our joint insurance and even that little thing has had a massive jump. In my mind they are basically taking the p155 really.

Insurance companies deal in hard statistics, not rumours. They know perfectly well that EV fires are rare.

I thought I added the courtesy car as an extra on my Aviva insurance. I remember thinking about it, and that I don't have regular access to another car, and deciding to go for it.

To be fair it is insurance in general not just EV. My misses has a Fiat 500 petrol on our joint insurance and even that little thing has had a massive jump. In my mind they are basically taking the p155 really.
In total agreement with the P155 comment :)

Interesting article here about spare parts and why some Chinese cars are written off so quickly. MGs are mentioned but not in a bad way.

Thank you for that article GomEV I know there is a lot of truth in the article because a neighbour of mine had an accident in his MG5 around 2 years ago now and it was with one of the very top insurance approved repairers for around 10 months awaiting body parts.
Les

Thank you for that article GomEV I know there is a lot of truth in the article because a neighbour of mine had an accident in his MG5 around 2 years ago now and it was with one of the very top insurance approved repairers for around 10 months awaiting body parts.
Les
Looks like things have improved a lot if you can believe what they say. From the article re MGs

'“MG Motor UK is already well established in our home market with a strong dealer network as well as our dedicated parts and service facility at Longbridge, Birmingham,” a company source told us. “Our present parts availability ensures we have a 10-month supply of parts and 91 per cent of vehicle parts for the entire MG range are immediately available here in the UK and accessible for our dealer network or insurance-accredited repairers”. He also confirmed the company is “in the process of further extending our existing partnership with Thatcham Research to ensure repairers have all the information they should require”.'

Looks like things have improved a lot if you can believe what they say. From the article re MGs

'“MG Motor UK is already well established in our home market with a strong dealer network as well as our dedicated parts and service facility at Longbridge, Birmingham,” a company source told us. “Our present parts availability ensures we have a 10-month supply of parts and 91 per cent of vehicle parts for the entire MG range are immediately available here in the UK and accessible for our dealer network or insurance-accredited repairers”. He also confirmed the company is “in the process of further extending our existing partnership with Thatcham Research to ensure repairers have all the information they should require”.'
The accident damage to the rear of mine must have been in the 9% then.

Here is yet another reason that insurance prices are rocketing this video mainly concerns JLR vehicles but even our MGs could have the same issues as I think all models now come with keyless entry as do many other makes today.
Les.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom