Not much competition with the free pensioner’s bus pass. Buses reasonably good around here. Bus passes used for a notable all in one day journey in conjunction with the “Traveline Scotland” app. in 2019 :-
07:00. Walk to crossroads (200 yards) Bo’ness - Newbridge - Glasgow- Oban - (passengers On CalMac ferry to Isle of Mull for about £15 return for two of us ) Craignure - Tobermory -/- lunch and wander for a couple of hours in beautiful Tobermory -/- Craignure ferry return to Oban - Glasgow - Stirling - Kincardine - Falkirk - Bo’ness about 11:00 Walk home 200 yards.
the hyphens above signify bus journeys and waiting times were no longer than10 to 15 minutes. A tiring but enjoyable day.
Must try that again.
Just had a wee look and we’re obviously into the winter timetables. So the best I found was to walk to the cross roads and catch the luxurious 909 bus in the opposite direction to Whins of Milton near Stirling. There I can change to a bus to Glasgow and pick up the bus to the Corran Ferry costing a POUND 🤦‍♂️. Pick up the bus to the Kilchoan ferry slipway. THE END -GO NO FURTHER - STOP.
Here I seem to crash to a stop 🤔 as the Kilchoan to Tobermory ferry would appear to be off for the winter - poop - !!
So I’ll just cancel the above, plug the MG5 in somewhere on the road to Dumfries or Aviemore instead 🤩.
At least I’ll have a fine lunch whilst planning another escape and still be home for supper 👌

Everyone is different, but for most who do low annual mileage the car is just a luxury not a necessity. Using public transport is what governments have been trying to shift us towards for decades. We like our own personal space too much.
Yep - most of us - not all of us.
Whilst respecting your opinions on this I think we form them based on our own world and experiences.
In my world and experiences I would reverse that and say a car is a necessity for most and a luxury for some

My renewal in July went from £300 to £900 , so more like a 300% increase ( with 12 years NCD and a clean licence ) :sick:. I spoke to Churchill , who'd taken over my policy , and they ever so kindly :mad: knocked about £50 off .
Needless to say , I'm no longer with them ;)
Pedant alert.........300 to 900 whilst being 3 times is a 200% increase (so not as bad you thought eh 🤣 )

Another pedant alert; 100% is 100 out of 100. You can't have more of your cake and eat it, as 200% is 100% more than you actually have.

We routinely say 10 out of 10, but we never say 20 out of 10. Two times the amount or double the ammount is more accurate . . . Oh, unless you are Spinal Tap, then you can turn it up to eleven. :)

Whilst respecting your opinions on this I think we form them based on our own world and experiences.
In my world and experiences I would reverse that and say a car is a necessity for most and a luxury for some

Pedant alert.........300 to 900 whilst being 3 times is a 200% increase (so not as bad you thought eh 🤣 )
Yep that is a pedantic answer . Accepted that it is a 200% increase , but it's 3 times what I was paying before , still nowhere near the 50 to 60% you seemed to imply . And,yes, it's not as bad I thought because I went elsewhere .

Yep that is a pedantic answer . Accepted that it is a 200% increase , but it's 3 times what I was paying before , still nowhere near the 50 to 60% you seemed to imply . And,yes, it's not as bad I thought because I went elsewhere .
It was only pedantic in as much as it was pointing out a common error by many when quoting percentages, and you had said 3 times was 300%, and it was said in good humour.

My renewal in July went from £300 to £900 , so more like a 300% increase

Also, I think you are confusing me with someone else with regards the 50-60%.

:)

Another pedant alert; 100% is 100 out of 100. You can't have more of your cake and eat it, as 200% is 100% more than you actually have.

We routinely say 10 out of 10, but we never say 20 out of 10. Two times the amount or double the ammount is more accurate . . . Oh, unless you are Spinal Tap, then you can turn it up to eleven. :)
Unless you are Scotty on the USS Enterprise. His warp engines can go way over 100% 😁

It was only pedantic in as much as it was pointing out a common error by many when quoting percentages, and you had said 3 times was 300%, and it was said in good humour.

Also, I think you are confusing me with someone else with regards the 50-60%.

:)
My apologies ...I did :oops:

Not much competition with the free pensioner’s bus pass. Buses reasonably good around here. Bus passes used for a notable all in one day journey in conjunction with the “Traveline Scotland” app. in 2019 :-
07:00. Walk to crossroads (200 yards) Bo’ness - Newbridge - Glasgow- Oban - (passengers On CalMac ferry to Isle of Mull for about £15 return for two of us ) Craignure - Tobermory -/- lunch and wander for a couple of hours in beautiful Tobermory -/- Craignure ferry return to Oban - Glasgow - Stirling - Kincardine - Falkirk - Bo’ness about 11:00 Walk home 200 yards.
the hyphens above signify bus journeys and waiting times were no longer than10 to 15 minutes. A tiring but enjoyable day.
Must try that again.

Lucky you, is all I can say. My bus pass gets an outing a couple of times a year. We've been battling to keep the bus service running here, but they've cut it back so much that even if you can get to where you're going, you can't get home. And there's a very small list of places you can even get to.

My car insurance is due for renewal early Jan 2024.
I have been chasing quotes for the last few days, from as many people as I can think of.
What I am consistently seeing is increases of around 50% and upwards !.
Some quotes returning with a massive 100% increase from what I paid for last years premium.
Purely from our side of things, absolutely nothing has changed that would influence any increase.
Inflation plays it's normal part of course, but the percentage rises I am seeing are purely stupid ridiculous.
Here is a perfect example of just how silly the whole thing has gone.
My premium for last year was similar LESS the two grand ! 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:.
Oh .............. And it appears that you have to agree to have a telematic box fitted also !.
Who the hell selects these people ?????????.

Stupid quote 2023-12-13 at 14.17.54.png

Last edited:
Lucky you, is all I can say. My bus pass gets an outing a couple of times a year. We've been battling to keep the bus service running here, but they've cut it back so much that even if you can get to where you're going, you can't get home. And there's a very small list of places you can even get to.
Investing further I think the Kilchoan to Tobermory vessel is still operating so a Tob lunch might still work. Can’t do it all in one day by bus I don’t think so might investigate staying over or utilise the MG ? The Ardamurchan peninsula area is just ruggedly gorgeous so I hardly need an excuse.
And there’s a charger at Kilchoan and another at the Ardnamurchan Lighthouse so it is feasible - although the area is only about 80/90 miles away so eminently doable for a winterised five.

I probably have to go over to Cumbrae soon. This would be a simple no-charge round trip in summer, but I think I'll need some extra in winter. Ideally I'd find somewhere for lunch with a type 2 charger, but that's not necessarily so easy. I'm thinking that the Fastned electric forecourt in Hamilton, 35 miles from home, is starting to look like a 35-mile range extender for me.

I've registered, so I should simply be able to plug in and walk away like a Tesla owner, and there's a proper canopy so it doesn't matter if it's bloody snowing, and since I probably only need to stop for five minutes, what's not to like?

I have been chasing quotes for the last few days, from as many people as I can think of.
Some quotes returning with a massive 100% increase from what I paid for last years premium.
Purely from our side of things, absolutely nothing has changed that would influence any increase.
Inflation plays it's normal part of course, but the percentage rises I am seeing are purely stupid ridiculous.
Oh .............. And it appears that you have to agree to have a telematic box fitted also !.

View attachment 22171
Ours is up in January also. I went Admiral multicar last time and split the difference with my son, which came to around £650 each. I dread to think what it's going to be when I start searching at the weekend.

Ours is up in January also. I went Admiral multicar last time and split the difference with my son, which came to around £650 each. I dread to think what it's going to be when I start searching at the weekend.
Try Directline, I paid £279 for our new MG5 in September, me and the Mrs driving, parked on the drive at night, full NCD, no endorsements.

The "sweet spot" for searching for insurance quotes ( according to Martin Lewis ) is about 23 days before your due renewal date.
Your current provider will quote about 28 - 30 days prior to expiry.
A run a quote via Compare The Market last week, just to dip my toe in the water so to speak.
I ran the same details via Go Compare only today and it brought up the same cheapest company quote at the top of the page, at £40 cheaper.
So there maybe something in this theory from M.L.
I hit the 23rd day tomorrow with my current provider, so I intend to challenge there renewal quote with the figures I have put together recently.
Honestly, there is not a massive difference in the cheapest rate that I can find on a like for like basis and are looking close to a 50% on last years prices.
Totally ignoring the stupidly high quotes I have received of course.

The "sweet spot" for searching for insurance quotes ( according to Martin Lewis ) is about 23 days before your due renewal date.
Your current provider will quote about 28 - 30 days prior to expiry.
A run a quote via Compare The Market last week, just to dip my toe in the water so to speak.
I ran the same details via Go Compare only today and it brought up the same cheapest company quote at the top of the page, at £40 cheaper.
So there maybe something in this theory from M.L.
I hit the 23rd day tomorrow with my current provider, so I intend to challenge there renewal quote with the figures I have put together recently.
Honestly, there is not a massive difference in the cheapest rate that I can find on a like for like basis and are looking close to a 50% on last years prices.
Totally ignoring the stupidly high quotes I have received of course.
I follow Martin Lewis's advice every year. I also use Go Compare, as the £250 excess cover is a really useful bonus. I actually used it a few years ago and it meant I only paid £50 excess. :)

Try Directline, I paid £279 for our new MG5 in September, me and the Mrs driving, parked on the drive at night, full NCD, no endorsements.
I did try Direct Line but it did not work out favourably to us for some reason, thanks John.
It does pay to shop around because quotes are all over the place !.
The D.L. quote was twice as expensive as my current renewal quote from my current provider that includes a 50% increase.

I've registered, so I should simply be able to plug in and walk away like a Tesla owner, and there's a proper canopy so it doesn't matter if it's bloody snowing, and since I probably only need to stop for five minutes, what's not to like?
Even though you have registered you will still need to start your first charge, assuming this would be your first Fastned charge, using the app so that it can identify your car's 'signature' for future charges.

View attachment 22171

I'm in the same boat as you. Last year £370 with Aviva, the best at the time, renewal came through as £630, no changes, a 67% rise.
Doing the comparison on all sites still nothing less and now 24 days out, so looking like staying with Aviva. Just to kick me while I'm still reeling is that last year I got it through GoCompare so got free £250 excess cover, but by renewing I will lose that :(

I can beat your £2222 quote on a comparison site though....how about this :eek: I guess they don't want my business 😂

1702553905356.png

Even though you have registered you will still need to start your first charge, assuming this would be your first Fastned charge, using the app so that it can identify your car's 'signature' for future charges.

Yes, that's what it said on the app. I think next time I'm over that way I'll go in for a top-up and then it'll be done.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom