The MG4 Trophy that I used to love...

Devoniageoff

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Booked my Trophy into MG Ashford (Kent) on 30th September to sort out a charging issue. They've still got it (30th December)! One part that was ordered to "fix" the problem took 8 weeks to arrive and it didn't work. I'm now waiting to hear whether another part is being ordered, as was apparently a possibility, and whether another 8 week wait is on the cards! To say I'm frustrated doesn't even begin to cover it.....At this rate they'll have had it for as long as I did (delivered 31st March 23). I really love the car and want it back!!. Just venting 😤!

The car wouldn't charge for more than a few minutes from the Easee wall box, then cut out. Same with the granny charger. Easee checked the charger and all was OK. I had about 30% charge when I took the car in and haven't been able to use, or access, it since.

Booked my Trophy into MG Ashford (Kent) on 30th September to sort out a charging issue. They've still got it (30th December)! One part that was ordered to "fix" the problem took 8 weeks to arrive and it didn't work. I'm now waiting to hear whether another part is being ordered, as was apparently a possibility, and whether another 8 week wait is on the cards! To say I'm frustrated doesn't even begin to cover it.....At this rate they'll have had it for as long as I did (delivered 31st March 23). I really love the car and want it back!!. Just venting 😤!
Hi
I have just got my trophy back after 10 weeks with a charging issue. I find it hard to believe they don't have the spare parts needed on the shelf in this country.Also I was told they had to wait for mg in China with technical advice.It was so frustrating.

Hi
I have just got my trophy back after 10 weeks with a charging issue. I find it hard to believe they don't have the spare parts needed on the shelf in this country.Also I was told they had to wait for mg in China with technical advice.It was so frustrating.
Yes I was told the same, about MG giving advice. The garage told me 'these are new cars and we don't carry all the spares'! Given that EVs are supposedly much less complex than ICE cars to maintain presumably there wouldn't be that many spares to keep!

The car wouldn't charge for more than a few minutes from the Easee wall box, then cut out. Same with the granny charger. Easee checked the charger and all was OK. I had about 30% charge when I took the car in and haven't been able to use, or access, it since.
You might have this problem (unrelated to Zappis), which I also have:

People with this issue can still DC charge at a rapid charger and most of us still have our cars and are doing that as we wait for MG to respond with fixes.

Hi
I have just got my trophy back after 10 weeks with a charging issue. I find it hard to believe they don't have the spare parts needed on the shelf in this country.Also I was told they had to wait for mg in China with technical advice.It was

You might have this problem (unrelated to Zappis), which I also have:

People with this issue can still DC charge at a rapid charger and most of us still have our cars and are doing that as we wait for MG to respond with fixes.
Hi
I agree it would charge at a rapid charge point for the first couple of weeks. During this time I spent hours thinking I had a problem with my Ohme charger. Then eventually it started to trip out at the rapid charge points.That's when I took it back to MG. So for me, MG know there is a problem with the charging management. Like I said why aren't these parts on the shelf?

This has highlighted a major problem when purchasing a MG, why? When Europe/Britain are major markets for SAIC, why is there no parts centre and independent decision making policy in Europe to get any part to any dealer within days, for any of its models? I believe SAIC are considering building a European factory to build the MG4 to get around import restrictions so in the future this situation could improve, but by then how many parts for the MG4 version 5 will be compatible with with our versions?

I had the same problem here in South Wales, was the charge control unit in the end. Constant hounding of the dealer and took six weeks to repair

Hi
I agree it would charge at a rapid charge point for the first couple of weeks. During this time I spent hours thinking I had a problem with my Ohme charger. Then eventually it started to trip out at the rapid charge points.That's when I took it back to MG. So for me, MG know there is a problem with the charging management. Like I said why aren't these parts on the shelf?
I'm at the mid-stage of this same problem ie MG4 won't charge at home, we're waiting for parts from MG, but currently it will still fast DC charge. Out of interest, how many times did you persevere with fast charging and what exactly went wrong when you finally gave up?

Welcome to the world of EV's. We are early adopters of the new technology and therefore at the 'bleeding' edge of technology; quite simply most dealerships have limited expertise and little experience in fixing issues simply because it is such different technology. And forget about parts being readily available, locally. My brother has had 3 PHEV's and 6 EV's and all had problems that took ages to resolve at the local dealerships - and recently his latest EV was more or less dismantled in the dealer's service car park. Parts took forever to arrive from the Far East, and four different 'approaches' were used to try and fix a mystery fault regarding the engagement and disengagement of the all-wheel drive system. This is life for us early adopters and it will get better as expertise and experience grows throughout the dealer networks.

It is the same when my village won BT's 'Race to Infinity' and became one of the first rural locations to have fibre replace the copper for broadband. They forgot that being so rural the only means of deploying the infrastructure was to have FTTP and that was a hugely awkward for them to have fibre all the way through to each property. However, they completed the upgrade and a few months later my broadband went down. It took BT/Open Reach over 3-months to fix the fault, which in the end was a simple software setting at the exchange that was overlooked. During the engineers attending over the 3-months I asked one of them why it was taking so long and he answered with, "We have little to no experience with fixing fibre problems. If it was copper we'd have you up and running again within two days".

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of EV's. We are early adopters of the new technology and therefore at the 'bleeding' edge of technology; quite simply most dealerships have limited expertise and little experience in fixing issues simply because it is such different technology. And forget about parts being readily available, locally. My brother has had 3 PHEV's and 6 EV's and all had problems that took ages to resolve at the local dealerships - and recently his latest EV was more or less dismantled in the dealer's service car park. Parts took forever to arrive from the Far East, and four different 'approaches' were used to try and fix a mystery fault regarding the engagement and disengagement of the all-wheel drive system. This is life for us early adopters and it will get better as expertise and experience grows throughout the dealer networks.

It is the same when my village won BT's 'Race to Infinity' and became one of the first rural locations to have fibre replace the copper for broadband. They forgot that being so rural the only means of deploying the infrastructure was to have FTTP and that was a hugely awkward for them to have fibre all the way through to each property. However, they completed the upgrade and a few months later my broadband went down. It took BT/Open Reach over 3-months to fix the fault, which in the end was a simple software setting at the exchange that was overlooked. During the engineers attending over the 3-months I asked one of them why it was taking so long and he answered with, "We have little to no experience with fixing fibre problems. If it was copper we'd have you up and running again within two days".
Yes, I expected problems buying a newly launched EV on a brand new platform from a Chinese maker.

We have had no real issues though apart from the CCU failure, where we can still use the car with DC charging.

So it has been more reliable than I expected.

But if anyone wants the best reliability, always better to buy something that's been on sale 2-3 years and been thoroughly debugged and ideally is made in this country (eg some Nissan products).

My experience is that all cars experience faults sooner or later.

I have the Trophy Extended range for 3 months and i freaked out because it wouldn't charge at any of the local chargers, and i tried them all (9) for few days. Then i went the next morning to a super charger and it worked. Next week the same local issue, so i went to the internet and i read a lot of people have issues around charging.

I was about to call my dealer to just hand it back. I used different car sharing EVs for over a year, so i was confident it was not me :/.

Long story short, it was me, or my dealer, because they had to explain for over an hour every single feature of the car, and in doing so, they set up a charging schedule that would only charge the car from 23h to 11h. So, the car would connect to a charge pole, not start charging and then the pole would show an error...

Facepalm moment.

Sharing it here in case someone else gets in the same situation as me, please try that charge schedule or turn it off.

They will have to build a factory here as France haves signed a law that all non euro producers pay a fee to sell their vihicles ,other countries are alsof looking to do it. (BYD announced this last week to build a factory here so MG wont lag far behind)

I'm at the mid-stage of this same problem ie MG4 won't charge at home, we're waiting for parts from MG, but currently it will still fast DC charge. Out of interest, how many times did you persevere with fast charging and what exactly went wrong when you finally gave up?
Hi
After my home charger stopped I got about two weeks before it started to trip the public chargers.
Regards chris

Surely our contract is with MGUK and not the Chinese factory or head office. MGUK should hold a stock of spare parts and if they are not available, they should cannibalise one of their sales department fleet cars to keep their customers on the road.
Hopefully, at some stage in the near future, spare part stock will be abdundant. My brother's Hyundai Ioniq 6 had to have parts flown in from South Korea on several ocassions. Even then, the dealership had never seen before the particular problem with the car and struggled for ages resulting in him driving an ICE replacement for weeks and weeks. I think this is could be quite common; Mercedes dealerships may well have problems with experitse and experience were a customer's EQE to develop a mysterious software fault that renders the car unusable. I know that both our original Gen 1 Nissan Leafs both had to be shipped off to Birmingham from our local dealership for investigation and repair, with them owning up to the fact that they simply didn't have the expertise or training to fix EV's at the dealership.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back